Player Discussion Jordan Eberle

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
All the grease in the world doesn't change creating scoring chances

Arvidsson is a hell of a player but he just scored 61 points on a stacked team. Ebs has been doing that for half a decade

Are you saying his compete level is higher and Eberle was just gifted points for 6 seasons on a much worse team?

It's so tiring trying to explain this to people.

Put yourself on the ice playing against a bunch of ex-pro guys. You might get lucky and score a couple but the reality is you're in way the **** over your head.

That's Drake Caggiula, or Tyler Pitlick, or Anton Slepyshev...or Thomas Vanek taking Eberle's role. Look at where Jordan Eberle gets his shots and who he's getting them against. You need a guy who's able to do that if you're going to trade him. It's not just the points that need replacing.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
It's so tiring trying to explain this to people.

Put yourself on the ice playing against a bunch of ex-pro guys. You might get lucky and score a couple but the reality is you're in way the **** over your head.

That's Drake Caggiula, or Tyler Pitlick, or Anton Slepyshev...or Thomas Vanek taking Eberle's role. Look at where Jordan Eberle gets his shots and who he's getting them against. You need a guy who's able to do that if you're going to trade him. It's not just the points that need replacing.

Probably why Chia felt the need to express his touches and quality of chances.

Hey, member when Draisaitl was created by Hall?

Ebs had 51 points with RNH for a massive chunk. Let that sink in. RNH was abysmal this year. I could care less about a handful of playoff games. It took a special kind of something to not get fully sucked up in the blackhole that was RNH this year

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010

Ebs had 51 points with RNH for a massive chunk. Let that sink in. RNH was abysmal this year. I could care less about a handful of playoff games. It took a special kind of something to not get fully sucked up in the blackhole that was RNH this year

I think Eberle was more of a blackhole than RNH this year.

Look at Mcdavid and his mini slumps during the regular season, all came when Eberle was spoon fed onto his line. All so Mcdavid could try and 'jumpstart' Eberle... Eberle also played top unit power play for half the season. He played his way off that unit in place of Marc Letestu. Let that sink in.

Throw RNH on Mcdavids wing and you will see much better production.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Look at Mcdavid and his mini slumps during the regular season, all came when Eberle was spoon fed onto his line. All so Mcdavid could try and 'jumpstart' Eberle... Eberle also played top unit power play for half the season. He played his way off that unit in place of Marc Letestu. Let that sink in.

Noooooooooooo you won't. RNH had barely a lick of offense this year, and really hasn't had much of anything since his rookie year.

It's sad that we might go into next year with exactly one line capable of scoring.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The thing about this theory is you're changing the role. McDavid isn't out there to play a safe game. He's an offensive driver. You're saying if you take RNH off of a matchup line and slap him next to McDavid, his numbers will go up. Of course they will. He's a skilled player. Eberle would've thrived too, even though he and McDavid didn't click in the short time they spent together.

The idea that RNH was a 'black hole' for our scoring last season just doesn't sit well with me. He spent a lot of time out there against some big opponents. People aren't going to give him props if Anze Kopitar or Joe Pavelski posts a zero on the score sheet in a game.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Vice versa. It was Ebs that was the black hole, not Nuge,

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Both Eberle and Nuge were bad last year. I would also throw in Lucic to the mix. The difference between the 3 is that 2 of them got a good look alongside McDavid and failed to show anything. RNH for the most part was kept on a different line and although he wasnt producing (linemates could be a factor) he was doing other smaller things right. Lucic and Eberle for the most of the season were nothing short of liabilities defensively. I wouldnt give a passing grade to either one of them for the regular season.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Eberle and RNH both had the same problem this past season, they couldn't buy goals, I don't have the numbers but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that their respective shooting percentages were below their usual norms. Hell Eberle was so snake bitten that he went from automatic shoot out choice with a damned good chance of scoring to not even being given a chance in shoot outs.

So here's the question, do you really run a guy out of town for a poor year shooting? That's the kind of thing that can easily bounce back and if it does then someone like Eberle can easily find himself back in the 60+ points range, especially if RNH finds the sights on his shot again too.

Too many people taking the what have you done for me lately approach and willing to sell off guys at their low points. Players can and do rebound and if RNH and Eberle do get a slight bump in their offensive numbers then suddenly this team has a lot of scoring depth.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Can anyone name a single player on the Oilers who has a more difficult time getting the puck out of the Oilers zone than Eberle?

As bad as Lucic might look sometimes, he still always does a good job at muscling pucks out of his own zone.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Can anyone name a single player on the Oilers who has a more difficult time getting the puck out of the Oilers zone than Eberle?

As bad as Lucic might look sometimes, he still always does a good job at muscling pucks out of his own zone.
I would say Lucic was far worse last season. Eberle actually had to come across and help Looch get the puck out at numerous occasions. It was never the other way around.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
I would say Lucic was far worse last season. Eberle actually had to come across and help Looch get the puck out at numerous occasions. It was never the other way around.

Lucic is putrid at moving the puck out of the zone. The difference between him and Eberle is that he is at least willing to battle. Eberle is a chip up, turn away player.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

What are you talking about? I seem to remember some slumps with Maroon also. And Drai getting all the points

McD was very lucky to even get a point if not for the PP in many many games

Your post is is suited to your memory of things

Ebs and McD were great together...then they weren't.
McD and Maroon were great together...then they weren't.
Drai and Hall were great together...then they weren't

All lines have ups and downs.

You are just choosing to pinpoint a down. Doesn't make your post correct as a whole

As far as Ebs being more of a blackhole. Ya, why let stats indicate the contrary. RNH stats are very telling.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Noooooooooooo you won't. RNH had barely a lick of offense this year, and really hasn't had much of anything since his rookie year.

It's sad that we might go into next year with exactly one line capable of scoring.

Since his rookie year:
0.6 PPG
0.7 PPG
0.74 PPG
0.62PPG
0.52PPG

This season 0.52PPG was the worst he has been all his NHL career.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Lucic is putrid at moving the puck out of the zone. The difference between him and Eberle is that he is at least willing to battle. Eberle is a chip up, turn away player.
no argument here.

What are you talking about? I seem to remember some slumps with Maroon also. And Drai getting all the points

McD was very lucky to even get a point if not for the PP in many many games

Your post is is suited to your memory of things

Ebs and McD were great together...then they weren't.
McD and Maroon were great together...then they weren't.
Drai and Hall were great together...then they weren't

All lines have ups and downs.

You are just choosing to pinpoint a down. Doesn't make your post correct as a whole

As far as Ebs being more of a blackhole. Ya, why let stats indicate the contrary. RNH stats are very telling.

Lets just say that if Eberle was "great" McLellan wouldnt have to try guys like Caggiula, Slepychev, Purcell etc on his RW especially in the playoffs. Lets not forget that Eberle was playing 4th line minutes against ANA. Game 7: 12mins, game 6: 12mins, game 4: 11mins. Game 5 he had 16mins but that was the 2OT game and RNH played 26mins that night.

Stats were bad for both but Coach's trust is surely with RNH.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
no argument here.

Lets just say that if Eberle was "great" McLellan wouldnt have to try guys like Caggiula, Slepychev, Purcell etc on his RW especially in the playoffs. Lets not forget that Eberle was playing 4th line minutes against ANA. Game 7: 12mins, game 6: 12mins, game 4: 11mins. Game 5 he had 16mins but that was the 2OT game and RNH played 26mins that night.

Stats were bad for both but Coach's trust is surely with RNH.

Let's just say that RNH was in the same boat as Ebs against Ana. He was also playing 4th line minutes

Anybody thinking Ebs poorer season and Looch's poorer season was not affected by RNH's downright terrible season is being selective imo.

RNH was terrible in almost every category this year, How in the world does that not affect his line?

The narratives thrown around here tho. Eberle is dragging down McDavid. Eberle is teflon to RNH.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Let's just say that RNH was in the same boat as Ebs against Ana. He was also playing 4th line minutes

Lets not say it because it would be a lie.
RNH was up there with McDavid and Draisaitl in TOI most of the series. Only one game where he didnt play atleast 17:30 and averaged well over 18mins\game.
Eberle averaged around 13mins and only crossed the 16min mark during that 2OT game and even then it was by 1 second. 16:01.

Nuge got to play a lot of PK so that would surely factor in. In any case him getting top 5 ice time for forwards shows McLellan trusted him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Lets not say it because it would be a lie.
RNH was up there with McDavid and Draisaitl in TOI most of the series. Only one game where he didnt play atleast 17:30 and averaged well over 18mins\game.
Eberle averaged around 13mins and only crossed the 16min mark during that 2OT game and even then it was by 1 second. 16:01.

Nuge got to play a lot of PK so that would surely factor in. In any case him getting top 5 ice time for forwards shows McLellan trusted him.

His ES time was diminished to having him out there so the other lines wouldn't get hurt, same as Ebs

If not for the PK, and that 1 game where there was a boatload of penalties for us, RNH was in the same boat

Don't let the PK stats inflate the truth

Did he have better ES time thn Ebs? Maybe. But lets not try to sell it like it was apples and oranges here. Both those players were in the doghouse. Nuge just had to go and PK .

I also do not talk in playoff only mode. There is a whole season that can be discussed and is relevant

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
His ES time was diminished to having him out there so the other lines wouldn't get hurt, same as Ebs

If not for the PK, and that 1 game where there was a boatload of penalties for us, RNH was in the same boat

Don't let the PK stats inflate the truth

the truth remains the same. Only McDavid and Draisaitl averaged more TOI\Game than RNH while Eberle had icetime comparable to Caggiula and Kassian.

Draisaitl utilization clearly shows McLellan trusted RNH as a top 6 C more than Eberle as a top 6 RWer. If RNH was the black hole he would have move Drai to C sooner.

The fact that Drake Caggiula averaged a minute more that Eberle in the playoffs speaks volume. A comparable to that would have been Desharnais getting more TOI than RNH which didnt happen.

Editing mine to respond to your edit: RNH still had the 3rd highest TOI\game during regular season for forwards. ESTOI doesnt show RNH was in any doghouse. RNH\EBS\Lucic all got 2nd line ESTOI during regular season averaging little over 14mins\game.

Last edited:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The thing about this theory is you're changing the role. McDavid isn't out there to play a safe game. He's an offensive driver. You're saying if you take RNH off of a matchup line and slap him next to McDavid, his numbers will go up. Of course they will. He's a skilled player. Eberle would've thrived too, even though he and McDavid didn't click in the short time they spent together.

The idea that RNH was a 'black hole' for our scoring last season just doesn't sit well with me. He spent a lot of time out there against some big opponents. People aren't going to give him props if Anze Kopitar or Joe Pavelski posts a zero on the score sheet in a game.
He was doing that before McDavid showed up but he sucked last year plain and simple. Good thing Lucic, and Eberle found some chemistry in the last 30 games.

Props for not allowing his matchup to destroy us every game.....
Pavelski 10GP 8Pts
Getzlaf 12GP 17Pts

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well Eberle deserves criticism over his playoff performance... but RNH shouldn't be excused either.

What did he do with those 18 minutes per game he played... 4 assists and minus 3.

Desharnais had 9 minutes a game and had 1 goal and 3 assists... +3.

RNH was certainly a BIG part of the reason why they didn't go any farther... along with Eberle, Pouliot.

Questionable reffing (and some bad luck) as well but I'm not going down that path as it's been beaten to death.

Everyone likes to **** on Russell yet he had 4 assists and was +2 playing 22 minutes a night.

Maybe we need more Russell's and less RNH's, Eberle's and Pouliot's.

Overall though, those 13 games can't be over analyzed... it WAS the 1st time many of these players went into a high pressure playoff situation (and certainly 1st time as a group they faced this type of pressure)... some on the team did well, others obviously didn't.

I don't think it's completely fair to over analyze those 13 games because players better than these have **** the bed in the playoffs as well learning to cope and play in these high pressure environments.

Throw all the bums out if you want but hopefully the replacements will gel and come together as a group and be able to perform better in those playoff pressure cookers... it's not a given that they will either (whoever they might be).

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He was doing that before McDavid showed up but he sucked last year plain and simple. Good thing Lucic, and Eberle found some chemistry in the last 30 games.

Props for not allowing his matchup to destroy us every game.....
Pavelski 10GP 8Pts
Getzlaf 12GP 17Pts

Nuge : -1 vs SJS , -2 vs ANA
Ebs : 0 vs SJS, -6 vs ANA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad