Jordan Eberle

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Out of all the young guns. You have to trade Yakupov.

I don't get the hate for Eberle.

Long term Eberle will be much more valuable than Yakupov.

Eberle just plays such a smarter game. He is better at every faucet of the game right now. He will only get better and smarter and has produced in every level. Yak is one dimensional like most Russians.

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
Yakupov looked far better than Eberle to me last night.

The line as a whole was bad, but Yakupov made a hell of a play to keep the puck in and on the first goal busted his ass to get back and cover for Belov who made a brutal pinch. Threw a few big hits and had a few nice chances as well.

Certainly made mistakes but Eberle drove me nuts trying to stickhandle around 3 guys instead of putting it on net when we have guys out in front. Had it in the slot 3-4 times as well and either made too many moves or tossed it straight at the goalie.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Put on your big boy glasses and watch Eberle playing around the D zone.

I'm not saying we have to trade the guy...but...he has to start baring down & leading by example.

He's got a golden set of mittens when its time to create offence and as soon as the requirement might be for something a little less sexy...like clearing the zone or picking up a check...he throttles back and seems to WAIT for someone else to do the dirty work.

He needs to be better. Bottom line.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Out of all the young guns. You have to trade Yakupov.

I don't get the hate for Eberle.

Long term Eberle will be much more valuable than Yakupov.

Eberle just plays such a smarter game. He is better at every faucet of the game right now. He will only get better and smarter and has produced in every level. Yak is one dimensional like most Russians.

Yakupov is going to be a big guy, already plays a physical game and is going to be a bull that can get in scoring areas either through finess or dogging his way there. In addition he's one of the few players on this club that can score from range and with a shot that can actually beat goalies and during tenure here is already among the lead scorers while giving up several years in age and experience. just wait'll the kid finds his groove at this level.

More and more Eberle is looking like a one gear player that maybe impresses with persistence but is increasingly ineffectual, even showing glaring problems not seeing open ice and passing puck, and needs to get close range to score.

This is a small player, not strong either, with zero physical play. Great mitts in close but my concern being he largely only gets into his scoring areas through opponent breakdowns and given a lack of patience working over D's the breakdowns are becoming infrequent, and scoring chances (real scoring chances) less regular. 19 goals in last 62 GP and general decrease in goals scored is starting to be a real pattern. As I've stated this is starting to look like a sub 30 goal scorer. Not above 30 as Eberle fans tend to assume.

NHL correction and line matching with Eberle has occurred and with the plan being keep him to the outside, play him physical, knock him off puck, just don't let him get by you. Eberle is still going to get his magic moments where he makes an excellent fake and beats a player one on one but in the D pairings he's seeing its bleaker.

People have to remember that the 11-12 year was his time to shine before opponents really had him figured out. They would give him time and space they didn't figure was dangerous. Now its been observed not to let him near net. This player is getting shutdown increasingly.

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012
Yakupov is going to be a big guy, already plays a physical game and is going to be a bull that can get in scoring areas either through finess or dogging his way there. In addition he's one of the few players on this club that can score from range and with a shot that can actually beat goalies and during tenure here is already among the lead scorers while giving up several years in age and experience. just wait'll the kid finds his groove at this level.

More and more Eberle is looking like a one gear player that maybe impresses with persistence but is increasingly ineffectual, even showing glaring problems not seeing open ice and passing puck, and needs to get close range to score.

This is a small player, not strong either, with zero physical play. Great mitts in close but my concern being he largely only gets into his scoring areas through opponent breakdowns and given a lack of patience working over D's the breakdowns are becoming infrequent, and scoring chances (real scoring chances) less regular. 19 goals in last 62 GP and general decrease in goals scored is starting to be a real pattern. As I've stated this is starting to look like a sub 30 goal scorer. Not above 30 as Eberle fans tend to assume.

NHL correction and line matching with Eberle has occurred and with the plan being keep him to the outside, play him physical, knock him off puck, just don't let him get by you. Eberle is still going to get his magic moments where he makes an excellent fake and beats a player one on one but in the D pairings he's seeing its bleaker.

People have to remember that the 11-12 year was his time to shine before opponents really had him figured out. They would give him time and space they didn't figure was dangerous. Now its been observed not to let him near net. This player is getting shutdown increasingly.

Here's something I can agree with you on. Well put.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
dunno why ebs doesnt like to pass yakupov the puck.. probably doesnt want that #1 RW spot taken from him :sarcasm:

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

While there is a definite strategy to play Eberle with a physical approach, IMO the issue is less that he's being shutdown and more that the Oilers offensive system is more geared to the cycle, shooting from anywhere and in traffic and getting players in front of the net. This is especially more evident when he's playing with Hall and Hopkins, and there should be more chances to create.

I agree that he's not getting space to make the plays that lead to him scoring goals, but IMO, this is more due to the Oilers new possession-oriented system that emphasizes possession and shooting over puck movement to prime scoring areas than opponents playing him tougher.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Eberle is a very skilled player BUT his level of effectiveness is pretty much a direct result of who he is playing with. He'll have the odd game here and there where he looks impressive on his own, but these are only against teams that don't body up on him in the offensive zone. When it comes to playing against physical opponents he has NO answer and seemingly vanishes on the ice. He needs someone like Hall or Perron to drive the play for him on most nights.

He is very skilled, but needs to be "riding shotgun" to be regularly effective, make him the go-to player on the line and he WILL struggle.

I'm also less than enthused that he seems to slowly be developing a sort of tunnel vision in the offensive zone; I haven't seen him making the wicked passes he did in his 76 point season.

IMO: Hall, RNH and Yakupov will all end up being more complete players and rely less on having a super-skilled linemate than Eberle does. Find a willing trade partner and swap Eberle and whatever picks and prospects (except Nurse) necessary to get that #1/2 defenseman Mac T.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad