Jordan Eberle

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You really gotta hate that compounded random. :laugh:

I err on the side of verbose. :laugh:

jk the random is compounded do to the calculation which would involve more than one factor that is being random. Thus my term random compounded..

Think of it as random to the power of 2 or something.:laugh:

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
I err on the side of verbose. :laugh:

jk the random is compounded do to the calculation which would involve more than one factor that is being random. Thus my term random compounded..

Think of it as random to the power of 2 or something.:laugh:

Anyway, to get back to the topic, every trend has to start somewhere. To take how two coaches have used him in the first couple years of his career and then take how his third coach is using him is folly. You have to take how the new coach is using him and extrapolate that. As Keynes said, "I change my mind when the facts change". The fact is Eakins is using him differently.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Anyway, to get back to the topic, every trend has to start somewhere. To take how two coaches have used him in the first couple years of his career and then take how his third coach is using him is folly. You have to take how the new coach is using him and extrapolate that. As Keynes said, "I change my mind when the facts change". The fact is Eakins is using him differently.

The fact is Eakins is doing things that are nut job squared so far. :laugh:

So I'm taking some of the early returns with a grain of salt as much as his early belief he could trot Hall out 27mins/night. :(

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
The fact is Eakins is doing things that are nut job squared so far. :laugh:

So I'm taking some of the early returns with a grain of salt as much as his early belief he could trot Hall out 27mins/night. :(

Alright but if you get Eakin's as nut job squared then I get mc^2=E(berle). Anyway back on point. Ebs has been one of, if not the best forward on this team. He has had the highest amount of scoring chances on this team (see cult of hockey, bruce mcurdy I believe) is a plus player on this team, and is tied for the most points. He'd gotta be doing something right here. To say we need to trade our best player right now is laughable.

edit: it's dave staples not mcurdy

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Alright but if you get Eakin's as nut job squared then I get mc^2=E(berle). Anyway back on point. Ebs has been one of, if not the best forward on this team. He has had the highest amount of scoring chances on this team (see cult of hockey, bruce mcurdy I believe) is a plus player on this team, and is tied for the most points. He'd gotta be doing something right here. To say we need to trade our best player right now is laughable.

edit: it's dave staples not mcurdy

Its staples and its a garbage stat. Not worth taking seriously.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Its staples and its a garbage stat. Not worth taking seriously.

All stats are worth taking seriously. No matter how stupid they may seem, they'll still tell you something you might not have known before. Ie, in this case, it shows ebs compared with the rest of team and the difference in scoring chances when he's on the ice. I'd say thats something to take seriously. (link; https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...YTdGYXNTWjRVV3diRGZrbFU1ZlE&usp=sharing#gid=0 ) Spreadsheets rarely lie.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
All stats are worth taking seriously. No matter how stupid they may seem, they'll still tell you something you might not have known before. Ie, in this case, it shows ebs compared with the rest of team and the difference in scoring chances when he's on the ice. I'd say thats something to take seriously. (link; https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...YTdGYXNTWjRVV3diRGZrbFU1ZlE&usp=sharing#gid=0 ) Spreadsheets rarely lie.
So lets get this straight qual stats don't count scoring chances don't count plus minus don't count zone starts don't count leading scorer don't count:laugh: boy the people trying to down play him have thrown out everything as garbage stats. I guess we just have to except he is a weak complimentary player in which the league has figured out his skill. All Eberle does is a illusion.;)These straw man arguments that are put out are so convincing I think we should rely on them.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
So lets get this straight qual stats don't count scoring chances don't count plus minus don't count zone starts don't count leading scorer don't count:laugh: boy the people trying to down play him have thrown out everything as garbage stats. I guess we just have to except he is a weak complimentary player in which the league has figured out his skill. All Eberle does is a illusion.;)These straw man arguments that are put out are so convincing I think we should rely on them.

This guy gets it. Who needs stats right? :sarcasm:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Theres just no point responding materially.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Anybody with even a remote understanding of statistics dismisses Staples work.

I love it when entirely unfamiliar posters have these kind of comments though. Staples used to be a member of this board and his infamous errors work was laughed off the board. As it well should be.
Staples was counting every instance of a Center losing a faceoff as an error and felt perfectly justified doing so. He apparently couldn't, or wouldn't comprehend that this would result in Center stats being incomparable to any other player.

Want more? Omark used to have some of the lowest "errors" on the club according to Staples namely because he was the least likely player to spend much time in own zone and be even near the scene of the crime. Posters like myself tried to demonstrate to Staples that players that would feature prominently in his errors stat were those that were involved in most of the puck battles, i.e. win some lose some. The players that rarely battled, and were as far from puck as possible, got a clean bill of health in that stat.

I don't know that I have a lot more faith in his scoring chances stat. Staples isn't very analytical, you may have gathered.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 5m
Jordan Eberle back skating with #Oilers this morning.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So, Eberle's playing...but the injury is still a mystery.

He talked about stiffness, so it could be a leg or back strain.

Been tweeted a bunch of times, tweaked his hip.

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2h
Eberle says he strained his hip slightly against Ottawa on Saturday, could have probably practiced yesterday, good to go today.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
8 points last 6 games now that's what skilled players do, they will go through dry spells but than get a bunch in row.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
He was phenomenal yesterday; I don't think I've ever seen him stickhandle that quickly and that confidently before.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
8 points last 6 games now that's what skilled players do, they will go through dry spells but than get a bunch in row.

I have to say I was impressed with Eberle last night. One of the reasons being is I was watching the first half of that game, and Montreal applying a blanket, and thinking that this is the type of game in which Eberle gets zero pts. But he kept coming, kept making quick adept plays and controlling puck and was a force to contend with as many Oilers were in 2nd half of game.

A game like this is very important because its the team overcoming adversity in a game. They hung around, and found a way to get back in it last night. I like the killer instinct shown as well once they got the tying goal. Team had a different sense of urgency and including Eberle and put away a W that they probably weren't getting last season.

This type of game is a proving ground. Went from 4-1 loss to 4-3 W against the same club.

Injuries, and still getting better. Gotta like that.

Calgary McOilers

Sep 13, 2008
Calgary
I am glad to see the old Eberle back in action. He's been unreal since sleepwalking through the first several games to start the season.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I have to say I was impressed with Eberle last night. One of the reasons being is I was watching the first half of that game, and Montreal applying a blanket, and thinking that this is the type of game in which Eberle gets zero pts. But he kept coming, kept making quick adept plays and controlling puck and was a force to contend with as many Oilers were in 2nd half of game.

A game like this is very important because its the team overcoming adversity in a game. They hung around, and found a way to get back in it last night. I like the killer instinct shown as well once they got the tying goal. Team had a different sense of urgency and including Eberle and put away a W that they probably weren't getting last season.

This type of game is a proving ground. Went from 4-1 loss to 4-3 W against the same club.

Injuries, and still getting better. Gotta like that.
There was a shift in the 1st that I thought he was very weak on , he had a clear chance to get puck out of zone after they were pinned in for a long time , instead of just nailing down the ice he looked over to see if someone was breaking out. Montreal soon scored after but rest of game he was great.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
He is playing fantastic. On his way to Sochi perhaps? I don't think it's unrealistic for him to reach the 80 point mark this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->