Joonas Korpisalo

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
With all due respect that is about the worst analogy I have ever seen in my life. I really can't take this conversation seriously anymore.

I've pretty much said my peace. I'll just leave with this. Korp would be a simple phone call away. The people around here make it sound like we would have to move mountains to get him up here.

And out.

JimRome0419911__120111080534.jpg

Rack him!

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Korpi is the chance for the club to get rid of Bob.

Not going to happen. A) Bob's contract will be extremely tough to move with the current Cap environment and B) Korpisalo has very limited experience.

We all know Bob has struggled with injuries for 2 years now but he's also shown when he gets consistent playing time he's a hell of a goaltender. I do think Korpisalo has a chance to be a better relief option and reduce Bob's workload next year. Getting him 25 or so games at the NHL level with NHL practice very day would be OK in my book. I want him to earn it in camp if we're going to send down a more logical backup in CMc (logical meaning he doesn't ever project to supplant the starter).

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Not going to happen. A) Bob's contract will be extremely tough to move with the current Cap environment and B) Korpisalo has very limited experience.

We all know Bob has struggled with injuries for 2 years now but he's also shown when he gets consistent playing time he's a hell of a goaltender. I do think Korpisalo has a chance to be a better relief option and reduce Bob's workload next year. Getting him 25 or so games at the NHL level with NHL practice very day would be OK in my book. I want him to earn it in camp if we're going to send down a more logical backup in CMc (logical meaning he doesn't ever project to supplant the starter).

Tough to move right now, sure. If there's an expansion draft in 2017 (and this is based on current circumstances here in 2016), I fully expect him to remain unprotected with the team banking on his contract numbers scaring other teams off. Or, if the cap has gone up and this team doesn't feel like definitely losing one of Korpisalo/Dansk/Merzlikins/Forsberg, then he could also be packaged with "other considerations" (read: Clarkson) to clear $13 mil off the cap and possibly end up better off as a team even without the salary consideration.

Assuming a 2017 expansion draft, that would mean that Atkinson, Johnson, and Calvert would be going into their last year before becoming UFAs, and Murray would be an RFA with arbitration rights.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Kevin Weekes on On the Fly just called out Korpi saying hes got the potential to be a star in the league. Good to see the kid get some recognition, I just hope he can keep it up.

Wennberg didn't seem to be affected by the "sophmore slump", so here's to hoping Korpisalo doesn't either.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Kevin Weekes on On the Fly just called out Korpi saying hes got the potential to be a star in the league. Good to see the kid get some recognition, I just hope he can keep it up.

Wennberg didn't seem to be affected by the "sophmore slump", so here's to hoping Korpisalo doesn't either.
To be fair, it'd have to be a truly disastrous season for Wennberg to experience a "sophomore slump". 20 point rookie season isn't exactly setting huge expectations for the next year.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
To be fair, it'd have to be a truly disastrous season for Wennberg to experience a "sophomore slump". 20 point rookie season isn't exactly setting huge expectations for the next year.

Nor was it bad for his first season on NA ice. His first half of the season was questionable, but he made noticeable progress throughout the entire season and he seems to learn from his mistakes fairly quickly. And that play has continued into this season and now the only real weakness you can say he has are his face off abilities and maybe he needs to shoot more.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Cam Talbot played 36 games for the Rangers last year. He signed a 3 year at 4.167 per extension with Edmonton after taking their starting job. For comparison purposes.

If he plays 30 games or so he won't be making 4+ but he's not going to want to sign a 2 year bridge at 1.2 either.
That's not a relevant comparison at all. Talbot is 28 and was going to be UFA.

More relevant would be the 3 year 2.3M per extension John Gibson signed.

WAAAAAAY to early to talk about dumping Bob. He's got 1 more season to prove himself IMO.

It's not too early. Bob has only had one badish season so far, but when you put two in a row your value plummets and with his cap hit Bob becomes unmovable. It happened to Giguere in Anaheim. He was traded for Toskala and Blake, two awful contracts and it happened only 2 seasons after he posted his career best numbers. It also happened with Bryzgalov in Philly who was bought out after 2 seasons, because the contract had become unmovable. I don't think Bob is going completely fall off, but there's a chance he might become Cam Ward 2.0.

This is also the perfect time to move him, because the UFA goalie market is absolutely terrible and there's a team like Calgary that has a massive need for goalies and enough cap space to take the contract without sending a cap dump in return. In an ideal situation you trade him for 2017 1st round pick and end up with a lottery pick if Calgary keeps on sucking.

I'm not saying you absolutely have to move him, but I don't think there will be a similar opening to move him, if you wait one more season.

Igright

Apr 18, 2015
I don't know about that, he played his best when he was competing with Mason the entire lockout season before he was shipped to philly
Of late Bob loses confidence and he admits it himself. Even in his interview before the match with Penguins a lot of attention is paid to his psychological state. Probably such a state is temporary.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
So Korpisalo has been placed to play in the AHL. Is the plan that he leads the AHL team to a playoff position and continues getting important minutes in the post-season?

How do you guys think he will react to this move?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I think, like anyone else, he'd rather play in the NHL. That's a no brainer. However the kid seems pretty well put together and understands a 7.5 million dollar goal tender in front of him on the depth chart is a reality.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

Korpisalo will withdraw his support for governor Kasich and gives his full backing to Donald J. Trump in an attempt to make America great again since those damn foreigners from Russia and Canada have taken his job.

And all they pay him is peanuts for protection.

First they are going to build a wall in Cleveland, then one in Columbus. They are going to make America great again. I love Ohio.

Last edited:

ElfanuReinhard*

There's a reason I call him Genghis Korpisalo! Also, would Ortio and Dallas' 2nd rounder do for Korpisalo?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Only because its the playoffs and Forsberg has the hot hand. You dont change goalies when you have one playing like Forsberg is right now. It might not even matter if the front office decides they want McBackup i n the NHL next season..

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Korpi who? :laugh:

Nice to have two promising goalies. Although at some point if both develop one will have to be traded.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
So he lost his job in AHL to Forsberg. :shakehead

Not to **** talk the guy but at this point, Korpisalo is nothing more than a guy who had a phenomenal 30 game stretch, when the games didn't count and by a team that had adjusted to Tortorella's defense.

The "new Bobrovsky" stuff that some Jackets fans are saying is insanely premature.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I still expect Bob and McE to be the CBJ goalies and Korpi and Forsberg to be the LE goalies coming out of training camp.

The Jackets have the luxury of letting it play out for awhile next season, maybe even the whole season, before making a decision on the future of CBJ goaltending. There's no need to trade Bob or buy out McE this summer as some posters have advocated for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad