Joonas Korpisalo

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=44198

I didn't found thread of Joonas Korpisalo so i made this one.
As we know Joonas debuted in NHL last night.

He played well and he was 2nd star of the game ( i read that for CBJ's official Facebook page) not bad for 21 yrs old goalie prospect.
Does anyone have a highlight video of Korpisalo's first NHL game i would like see it. I live southern Finland and i missed that game.

I don't know is this possible but is there any chance to keep Korpisalo in NHL rest of the season.
He would be solid back-up goalie for Bobrovski when Sergei comes back after his injury.

And perhaps Sergei could be his mentor if possible.
I wish all the best for Joonas hopefully he'll be someday one of the best goalies in NHL.

Last edited:

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
He didn't look like a kid making his first nhl start last night.
Hopefully he gets a few more starts so we get a better idea of what he's got.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think he has the potential to be better than Bob. To my amateur scouting eyes, he's more positionally sound than Bob, and at 6'5'' he can cover much more net. His rebound control has been solid the few times I've seen him.

Not saying he will be better, but that he can be. I am a huge fan obviously.

KlichkoBro*

He looked way better than than that Swede Forsberg in his NHL debut, and I think that another Swede has spoiled his shutout. In the Sweden / Finland rivalry I gonna cheer for Finns for the rest of my life now.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I didn't found thread of Joonas Korpisalo so i made this one.
As we know Joonas debuted in NHL last night.

He played well and he was 2nd star of the game ( i read that for CBJ's official Facebook page) not bad for 21 yrs old goalie prospect.
Does anyone have a highlight video of Korpisalo's first NHL game i would like see it. I live southern Finland and i missed that game.

I don't know is this possible but is there any chance to keep Korpisalo in NHL rest of the season.
He would be solid back-up goalie for Bobrovski when Sergei comes back after his injury.

And perhaps Sergei could be his mentor if possible.
I wish all the best for Joonas hopefully he'll be someday one of the best goalies in NHL.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20152016,2,450&navid=sb:highlights

^Maybe here? Doesn't have all his saves, but a few.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Pressure-wise it might be easier for Korpisalo to play in North America than in Finland where his father 'Korppi' is a icon for both Porin Ässät and the SM-liiga.

HOCKEY_428.jpg

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

I don't see the how or the why. He had a good outing, Bob still has a few years left. Bob would get the majority of the starts. One of the reasons we have C-Mac is to allow our prospects to develop. He'll get injury recalls and play a lot in the AHL. He's what, 21? It's all good.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
He didn't look like a kid making his first nhl start last night.
Hopefully he gets a few more starts so we get a better idea of what he's got.

Unless C-Mac just goes lights out, I figure we'll see a lot more of him in this three weeks or so until Bob is back. He's earned another start.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think sooner rather than later one of the two kids is going to get called up. Even if hes not playing regularly getting the experience of being around the guys, practicing with them, traveling will be huge for their transition into the NHL. I dont think it'll be this season, but if Korps continues to play well for the rest of this season(both in the NHL on future callups and in the AHL) I wouldnt be shocked to see him get the nod to be the backup.

We need someone who is going to push Bob. Create some more competition for the starting spot. Bob plays well when he gets pushed. Worst case scenario Bob turns in Bryz. Best case scenario we have two very valuable trade assets.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I think sooner rather than later one of the two kids is going to get called up. Even if hes not playing regularly getting the experience of being around the guys, practicing with them, traveling will be huge for their transition into the NHL. I dont think it'll be this season, but if Korps continues to play well for the rest of this season(both in the NHL on future callups and in the AHL) I wouldnt be shocked to see him get the nod to be the backup.

We need someone who is going to push Bob. Create some more competition for the starting spot. Bob plays well when he gets pushed. Worst case scenario Bob turns in Bryz. Best case scenario we have two very valuable trade assets.

I've never seen anything from Bob to even suggest he is one to rest on his laurels. :dunno:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Makes no sense to make him a backup goalie right now. It's his first year in America. Let Cmac stay this year (and probably next) and have Korpisalo and Forsberg fight for the net in the A and eventually pick one to be Bob's backup in 2 years.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I've never seen anything from Bob to even suggest he is one to rest on his laurels. :dunno:

not necessarily saying hes resting on his laurels, but if he thinks he has serious competition it might push him to do better mentally. Which is pretty important playing goalie. And if Bob steps it up we still have Korpi or Forsberg(or whoever) for cheap, which is important if we want to use them as trade chips.

Season Team Lge GP Min GA EN SO GAA W L T Svs Pct

10-11 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 54 3017 130 4 0 2.59 28 13 8 1397 0.915

11-12 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 29 1550 78 2 0 3.02 14 10 2 691 0.898

12-13 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 24 1419 46 0 4 1.94 18 3 2 632 0.932

12-13 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 38 2219 74 0 4 2.00 21 11 6 1010 0.932

13-14 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 58 3299 131 0 5 2.38 32 20 5 1568 0.923

14-15 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 51 2994 134 0 2 2.69 30 17 3 1498 0.918

15-16 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 25 1420 60 0 1 2.52 11 12 0 653 0.916

That was the only year hes had actual competition for a starting job. Before that he was the backup behind an all-star goalie with no real shot to ACTUALLY start, especially after that playoff performance. Suddenly he's traded to Columbus and sees a chance to win a actual starting position and puts up career high numbers both in the KHL and the NHL.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
not necessarily saying hes resting on his laurels, but if he thinks he has serious competition it might push him to do better mentally. Which is pretty important playing goalie. And if Bob steps it up we still have Korpi or Forsberg(or whoever) for cheap, which is important if we want to use them as trade chips.

Season Team Lge GP Min GA EN SO GAA W L T Svs Pct

10-11 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 54 3017 130 4 0 2.59 28 13 8 1397 0.915

11-12 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 29 1550 78 2 0 3.02 14 10 2 691 0.898

12-13 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 24 1419 46 0 4 1.94 18 3 2 632 0.932

12-13 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 38 2219 74 0 4 2.00 21 11 6 1010 0.932

13-14 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 58 3299 131 0 5 2.38 32 20 5 1568 0.923

14-15 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 51 2994 134 0 2 2.69 30 17 3 1498 0.918

15-16 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 25 1420 60 0 1 2.52 11 12 0 653 0.916

That was the only year hes had actual competition for a starting job. Before that he was the backup behind an all-star goalie with no real shot to ACTUALLY start, especially after that playoff performance. Suddenly he's traded to Columbus and sees a chance to win a actual starting position and puts up career high numbers both in the KHL and the NHL.

I honestly appreciate the effort you put into your post, but I have to respectfully disagree. There are many factors involved when simply posting goalie stats year to year, even team to team. I would mention that age has more to do with it in my opinion.

That being said CmaC is not really gonna push Bob in any way lol.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Korpisalo will be CBJ's starting goalie tonight's game against Pittsburgh.
Seems that Finland has another goalie talent developing in north america.

How possible is that Jarmo will release Korpisalo for Finland's 3rd goalie in IIHF 2016 men's world championships :D
^^ Don't take too seriously that comment i just kidding

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
The kid is a beauty in net. I posted on here when he was tearing it up in the A, I said "This kid WILL be a successful starting net minder someday"... I stand my by word still.

He just doesn't seem phased at all by the NHL hype at all. He is positionally sound and honestly.. If you just watch him, he literally looks like Bob. Similar in size and similar style of netminding. Korpi could eventually make Bob and/or Forsberg expendable someday.

Knew this kid would be a stud when I saw the numbers he was posting in Liiga as a teenager. Superb.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Curtis is traded at the deadline to a desperate team for a late round pick and Korpi backs up Bob until AHL playoffs (If LE makes it).

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
The kid is a beauty in net. I posted on here when he was tearing it up in the A, I said "This kid WILL be a successful starting net minder someday"... I stand my by word still.

He just doesn't seem phased at all by the NHL hype at all. He is positionally sound and honestly.. If you just watch him, he literally looks like Bob. Similar in size and similar style of netminding. Korpi could eventually make Bob and/or Forsberg expendable someday.

Knew this kid would be a stud when I saw the numbers he was posting in Liiga as a teenager. Superb.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Curtis is traded at the deadline to a desperate team for a late round pick and Korpi backs up Bob until AHL playoffs (If LE makes it).

I'm not surprised at all that how well Korpi has played there.
He's a rookie goalie but he plays like old veteran.

Joonas Korpisalo is 2nd generation's hockey player in Finland.
He's father Jari was long time forward and captain in assat Pori FEL team so Korpi has grew in hockey family.

I have to say that Columbus scouting staff knew damn well what they did when they picked Korpi in 3rd round 2012 draft.
Of course it's early to say how many years Korpi will play in NHL but that's for sure his NHL career will be successful.

As we know Finland is one leading goal-tending factories in hockey world.
Now we have new futures potential top NHL goalie developing in north america.
But he's time to be starting goalie in men's national team is then when Rask and Rinne aren't available.

Of course Korpi can be Rask's or Rinne's back up in team Finland someday but not this season yet.
I wish him good luck for NHL and right now he looks good but he'll become better.

Last edited:

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
I was fortunate enough to be in Traverse City this past Sept. and watched Joooooonas. As the tournament went on, he got stronger. Found a "zone" for an extended period of time. Kid seems very confident in his ability.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
He wasnt Kari Lehtonen level goalie in Jokerit system and to be honest Im surprised he has now his first NHL games in his CV but with goalies you never know what happens. Good for him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Still raw, needs more time. But he seems like he has potential. Would like to see Forsberg get some action up here though, just to see if he's improved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad