Joonas Korpisalo

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I still expect Bob and McE to be the CBJ goalies and Korpi and Forsberg to be the LE goalies coming out of training camp.

The Jackets have the luxury of letting it play out for awhile next season, maybe even the whole season, before making a decision on the future of CBJ goaltending. There's no need to trade Bob or buy out McE this summer as some posters have advocated for.

The problem with this approach is that I think most people don't want to see Bobs try to play 60-70 games next season because he hasn't been able to stay healthy when over-worked the last two years. I think its obvious the team does not feel comfortable with C-Mac playing more than 15-20 games in a season...otherwise he would have been given the opportunity to play more than he has the past 3-4 years (when Bob was healthy).

IOW, C-Mac does not fit what the CBJ need anymore. When Bobs was carrying a heavy load C-Mac was fine. Bobs no longer carries the heavy load, need a different backup.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I still expect Bob and McE to be the CBJ goalies and Korpi and Forsberg to be the LE goalies coming out of training camp.

The Jackets have the luxury of letting it play out for awhile next season, maybe even the whole season, before making a decision on the future of CBJ goaltending. There's no need to trade Bob or buy out McE this summer as some posters have advocated for.

I think you are overlooking the expansion draft. We can only protect one goalie. I think the Jackets should bury McE and give one of the others a heavy role in the NHL. Otherwise how else will they know who to protect?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I think you are overlooking the expansion draft. We can only protect one goalie. I think the Jackets should bury McE and give one of the others a heavy role in the NHL. Otherwise how else will they know who to protect?

Excellent point.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

By giving them both a lot of exposure, though, you also increase the odds that LV would draft one of them.

Since teams are only going to protect 1 goalie, then it should be relatively easy to find 2 unprotected guys who are more established than either Korpisalo or Forsberg. I think LV ends up taking someone like Atkinson from us.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
By giving them both a lot of exposure, though, you also increase the odds that LV would draft one of them.

Since teams are only going to protect 1 goalie, then it should be relatively easy to find 2 unprotected guys who are more established than either Korpisalo or Forsberg. I think LV ends up taking someone like Atkinson from us.

Does Bob have a NMC? What if in giving the other two time they shine? What if we want to protect them instead of Bob?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Does Bob have a NMC? What if in giving the other two time they shine? What if we want to protect them instead of Bob?
We can only protect 1 goalie, so at least one of Forsberg/Korpisalo will be exposed to the draft. Maybe both if Bobrovsky returns to form.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Isn't that a good thing? I'd rather they take a goaltender we choose not to protect than a forward like Atkinson or Anderson.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Goodbye Bob. I'm still inclined to not protect him unless he returns to Vezina Bob for 60 games. Look at Murray & Vasileskyi in the playoffs-young guys can perform. Korpi did at the NHl level;Forsberg is riding a hot streak. I'd rather lose the 7.4 than either of those two at this point. We may still lose one of them even if Bob isn't protected but I'd protect the one the team values most.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Goodbye Bob. I'm still inclined to not protect him unless he returns to Vezina Bob for 60 games. Look at Murray & Vasileskyi in the playoffs-young guys can perform. Korpi did at the NHl level;Forsberg is riding a hot streak. I'd rather lose the 7.4 than either of those two at this point. We may still lose one of them even if Bob isn't protected but I'd protect the one the team values most.

Agree 100%.
The NHL has evolved recently into more a 2 goalie league. 1A and 1B.
We have a guy who plays in as many games as a platoon goalie but makes way too much money for that.
Besides that his play on the ice doesn't even justify that kind of $$$. Maybe it's because of the injuries, but I would be happy to see him play 50 games next year, be injury free, and then get picked up in expansion draft.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'd be doing everything I could to trade him. He isn't worth his contract and it would give us so much more room to do things. I just don't think it is smart to give goaltenders long, expensive contracts anymore.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd be doing everything I could to trade him. He isn't worth his contract and it would give us so much more room to do things. I just don't think it is smart to give goaltenders long, expensive contracts anymore.
That's kind of why we went for one out of two with Bob. Recall that his contract was only for 4 years, and expires before contracts like those of Saad, Dubi, Foligno, and even Clarkson. And we'd already done a 2-year "prove it" deal previously, so that wasn't a reasonable option the second time 'round. And Korpisalo and Forsberg were both still "well, they MIGHT be good" types at the time - hell, folks were still arguing that Dansk had a chance at the time.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Bob can stay healthy his contract is just fine. Only 3 years left. If not, well, splat.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If Bob can stay healthy his contract is just fine.

I don't buy that. Health doesn't necessarily indicate good performance with Bob; just look at the start of the season. You can also see plenty of evidence throughout his career.

He was never worth the money we paid him and he's the best goalie we've ever had.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't buy that. Health doesn't necessarily indicate good performance with Bob; just look at the start of the season. You can also see plenty of evidence throughout his career.

He was never worth the money we paid him and he's the best goalie we've ever had.

Historically, Bob starts terribly and gets super hot after 20 or so games. He had a terrible start in his Vezina season too.

This year he had that stretch of 15-20 games of .940 play (November-December) before getting injured again.

So yes, health does indicate good performance for Bob, after he heats up. :)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Historically, Bob starts terribly and gets super hot after 20 or so games. He had a terrible start in his Vezina season too.

This year he had that stretch of 15-20 games of .940 play (November-December) before getting injured again.

The best news is he can use the World Cup to "warm up" this year.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

You keep disproving yourself. Just because he's healthy doesn't mean you are going to get good performance out of him. Sure he'll get hot but he'll also be perfectly healthy and suck for 20 games. He was a huge reason why we started to poorly last season.

He is about as inconsistent as you can get. I'm pretty tired of that out of a guy making over 7 million.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
What happens with korpi now?

Forsberg dominant the AHL playoffs and bobs is healthy. Where does that leave Korpi going into next season?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What happens with korpi now?

Forsberg dominant the AHL playoffs and bobs is healthy. Where does that leave Korpi going into next season?

He, Forsberg, and McElhinney battle for the backup job. Its up to him.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
http://www.suomikiekko.com/2016/08/...toinen-tilanne-suomalaisvahdista-ykkosveskari.

Your team goaltending situation i getting interesting.
Joonas Korpisalo might be your starting goalie next season if Bob isn't healthy.

What Jarmo should to do in this situation.
1 Trade Bob if possible and take risk trusting for Korpisalo
2 Keep Bob i the team and let him be mentor for Korpisalo
3 Sent Korpisalo to lake erie and call him up if Bob injured

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Great spell at St. Petersburg before the NHL season and four games with two goals allowed in his second month. I wouldn't exactly call that terrible way to start the season.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/5571/year/2013/sergei-bobrovsky

Somehow I never noticed your reply here until now.

Bob's first month in his Vezina year wasn't good, that's what I was referring to. 5 of his 9 games were sub .900, with only two wins. His save percentage as of March 1st (halfway through the season!) was .900.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/bobrose01/gamelog/2013

But I did forget about him playing for St. Petersburg before that Vezina season. Does that mean that his world cup games won't help him start better in the NHL, or does it mean he'll have a great season? (It probably means nothing, I know)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
http://www.suomikiekko.com/2016/08/...toinen-tilanne-suomalaisvahdista-ykkosveskari.

Your team goaltending situation i getting interesting.
Joonas Korpisalo might be your starting goalie next season if Bob isn't healthy.

What Jarmo should to do in this situation.
1 Trade Bob if possible and take risk trusting for Korpisalo
2 Keep Bob i the team and let him be mentor for Korpisalo
3 Sent Korpisalo to lake erie and call him up if Bob injured

If Bob is still getting hurt, it isn't really extra risk to play Korpi. But also if Bob isn't 100%, he's probably not tradeable.

The most likely situation where we trade Bob is if all of our goalies are playing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad