Joonas Korpisalo

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I doubt Team Russia has world class goalie coaching employed like TSSKA had in that same season with the same goalie coach who trained Tuukka Rask among others featuring behind Bobbie. It is about education and support after all in individual goalie business. Who knows what Bobrovski did this summer and with who. It will be interesting to see whether he gets to play any for Russia since they have three quite even goalies.

How did the Blue Jackets team do to begun the lockout season? I think that correlates far more into Bobrovski's forecasted puff although based on stats Bobrovski had only one 'bad' game in January of the lockout season, one average loss and three good games.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Does Bob have a NMC? What if in giving the other two time they shine? What if we want to protect them instead of Bob?

Bob has a NMC and needs to be protected. Korpi and Forsberg will be exposed but both will be RFA and Vegas can draft only 10 RFA, so Korpi and Forsberg might be safe.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I doubt Team Russia has world class goalie coaching employed like TSSKA had in that same season with the same goalie coach who trained Tuukka Rask among others featuring behind Bobbie. It is about education and support after all in individual goalie business. Who knows what Bobrovski did this summer and with who. It will be interesting to see whether he gets to play any for Russia since they have three quite even goalies.

How did the Blue Jackets team do to begun the lockout season? I think that correlates far more into Bobrovski's forecasted puff although based on stats Bobrovski had only one 'bad' game in January of the lockout season, one average loss and three good games.

I remember Bob let in his first shot as a Blue Jacket. A wrister from the point on the rush. :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's not a good contract given Bob's year, but to be fair they kept it to 4 years, which was at the low end of the debate. We can be glad there's only 3 years left and not 6.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Read this morning that Korpi's save pct this pre-season is .818? Forsberg's is .938. Can't see Korpi getting the spot based on those #'s.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Read this morning that Korpi's save pct this pre-season is .818? Forsberg's is .938. Can't see Korpi getting the spot based on those #'s.

Yea. He didn't look good last night, or against St. Louis. I always thought Forsberg was going to be the guy, once he learned to be consistently good. He may be at that point now.

Two games left in the pre-season, and at this point Forsberg has the advantage over Korpi and CMac. In my mind, it is Forsberg's to lose.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Let Korpi regain his form in Cleveland. My uneducated view last year was that he made some incredible saves because of his athleticism, but had some issues with positioning.

At this point, I think it's Forsberg/CMac to back up Bob.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Do you really think that numbers matter in preseason? I think they look more at the way they play, the way they compete, technique, etc than percentages.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I think Forsberg and Korpi go back to Cleveland and when the injury call up happens that's when the test happens if they take CMac's job

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think Forsberg and Korpi go back to Cleveland and when the injury call up happens that's when the test happens if they take CMac's job

This. It will surprise me if CMac isn't with the big club to start the season even more than it'll surprise me if Prout isn't among the top 6 D.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Do you really think that numbers matter in preseason? I think they look more at the way they play, the way they compete, technique, etc than percentages.

If I was the GM I'd be concerned if my goalie had an .818 save pct in preseason - especially for a young guy. Not saying the other things you mention aren't important but if they produce a save pct like that something is amiss somewhere.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

I don't think there will be a test for the backup job.

I think they will both go back to Cleveland. If Bob gets injured, one will come up to start ahead of McElhinney. If McElhinney gets injured, one will come up to back up Bob until McElhinney comes back.

I don't think the team wants either of them to sit and fill in at backup for any extended period of time.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

For younger players, yes. Doesn't matter with vets.

I would think that the decision is determined by a number of factors-many of which you listed.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio

This may in fact be true, but I do have one issue with it.

JD, and JK have consistently said that the back-up goalie position is wide open, and that the guy who plays himself into the spot will get it. Now, if they knew all along that the job would stay with CMac, and that Forsberg and Korpi would be in Cleveland no matter how they played, why not just say that?

Yea, it sounds real good to say that you want Korpi and Forsberg playing more minutes in Cleveland, but ask either of them if they want to be splitting time in Cleveland or would they rather be in Columbus backing up Bob, especially considering the vast pay-check differential.

I would be pretty pissed if I legitimately played myself into the back-up role, and was told that that would secure me the job, then was sent down anyway.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
This may in fact be true, but I do have one issue with it.

JD, and JK have consistently said that the back-up goalie position is wide open, and that the guy who plays himself into the spot will get it. Now, if they knew all along that the job would stay with CMac, and that Forsberg and Korpi would be in Cleveland no matter how they played, why not just say that?

Yea, it sounds real good to say that you want Korpi and Forsberg playing more minutes in Cleveland, but ask either of them if they want to be splitting time in Cleveland or would they rather be in Columbus backing up Bob, especially considering the vast pay-check differential.

I would be pretty pissed if I legitimately played myself into the back-up role, and was told that that would secure me the job, then was sent down anyway.

To be fair, CMac has looked just as good as Forsberg hasn't he? It didn't seem to me that either of the youngsters "took" his job.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
To be fair, CMac has looked just as good as Forsberg hasn't he? It didn't seem to me that either of the youngsters "took" his job.

Exactly. They know the deal - you have to clearly differentiate yourself if you are going to bump a veteran on a 1-way contract.

Even if they start the year in Cleveland, they both have a real good shot at getting some NHL games this year and being a full-time NHL goalie next year. As a young goalie, that's not a bad place to be.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio

I didn't say that CMac hasn't played well. I am merely pointing out that if in fact one of the two youngsters do out-play CMac, then from what has been said, they should stick in Columbus.

If management feels that CMac is playing better then the two young guys, then in fact he would "win" the job.

In that case, it blows the argument out of the water that should Bob go down, Forsberg or Korpi come up to start, and CMac remain the back-up. If CMac wins the job, he plays and is backed up by one of the kids. If he falters, as he did last season, then the kids get a shot.

I also said earlier that Forsberg could still play himself out of the spot. By the same token, CMac could play himself into the slot.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Portzline just tweeted that Korpisalo will miss 4 weeks with a groin injury.

Not more of this ****. :facepalm:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Before you beat up the front office too much for the Bobrovsky contract, look back at his first 2 seasons stats that led to that contract.

43-31-11 .928 sv% 2.19 gaa...........and a Vezina

and he had a strong season the year we signed him:

30-17-3 .918 sv% 2.69 gaa

He struggled last season, and that is fresh in our minds.

This is a big year for him to prove he's still in top form. I like what he showed in the WCH, now let's see if that carries over and if he's stays healthy. Bob is hands down the most important player on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad