Jones vs. Barrie: Whose success is more important to the Oilers next season?

Whose success is more important to the Oilers next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Still they got routed. At least two of the goals in game 3/4 were Bear and Nurse basically covering no one in the defensive zone while a Hawks player stood uncovered in front of Koskinen and tipped the puck into the net, Bear puts another one into his own net, and then gets muscled off the puck by Toews for another goal.

He's a smart kid and he'll learn from it, but yeah that sucked.

He's a good kid, and the Hawks game planned well on how to play him. It was through attrition that Bear and Nurse were seeing so many minutes, and more than they should. Bear will rebound but it was a tough experience and he knew he was on the wrong side of the ledger on a lot of plays.

Playoff play is also different, and Bear got to experience that. Toews isn't going to play some of that just as hard in Reg season. Few young D with limited experience could be put into this spot and survive. The problem was Klefbom and Larsson health. That changed our whole D allotment. You can't have your top 2 both injured. Then as I noted Green opting out.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In my opinion, Jones

I think very highly of Jones, probably more than most. But I think he will be a better 5 on 5 D next season in higher minutes. I also think he will do a better job of replacing Klefbom on 5v5 then Barrie will of replacing Klefbom on the PP. Ill probably get crushed on this opinion but Barries PP ability gets overrated and Klefboms gets (really) underrated. Barrie on Torontos PP last year as not exactly great. And his PP impacts on Colorado appear to be more secondary.

I like the Barrie signing dont get me wrong. But Id have him as a one-dimensional # 4/5 guy who can help on the PP. Jones for me could be a solid all around #4 D in all situation

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
We don’t even know if Jones can be a passable nhl defensemen for a full season. Albeit this season may not be a full one anyways but Jones just needs to establish himself as an nhl regular. He’s our #6 going into the season with Klef out. Forget making an impact jones just needs to prove he can swim. Barrie will make the bigger impact by far. We haven’t had D man with this much offensive talent since 2009.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Man our defense sure can move the puck, but its going to be a shooting gallery in their own end. Pray, pray every night.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Barrie. I don't think this is even a question.

Starting to question as well if Jones has been just oversold all along. 23.5yrs old and really not seeing a whole lot from him yet. For comparison Nurse is only 2yrs older and has been in 350 games and played 5 full seasons. Jones certainly being more in the slow developing camp. Jones probably doesn't see the lineup on a more complete D lineup.
What? Jones came back into the lineup against Chicago and was probably our best defenseman to be honest.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Man our defense sure can move the puck, but its going to be a shooting gallery in their own end. Pray, pray every night.

As opposed to a team that can't move the puck and still has shooting gallery moments in their own end?

Because that was basically the Oilers D to start last season.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
As opposed to a team that can't move the puck and still has shooting gallery moments in their own end?

Because that was basically the Oilers D to start last season.

I suppose its an improvement, can't complain too much in that end. We just need better goaltending to offset the Benny Hill theme that will be playing in the defensive zone all game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I suppose its an improvement, can't complain too much in that end. We just need better goaltending to offset the Benny Hill theme that will be playing in the defensive zone all game.

Puck movement shouldn't be underrated, one simple quick pass out of the zone is better than 2 minutes worth of some D having a hero shift in their own zone.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What? Jones came back into the lineup against Chicago and was probably our best defenseman to be honest.

I feel like I'm having to mention this everywhere. Jones played in 2 games, only 23 minutes total, and he's our best D? Was he being our best D in the stands? ;)

C'mon people, theres all kinds of discussions, but this is just odd that people think they were seeing Jones out there every game or something.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Jones played 23mins and was only in 2 of the games. The Oilers lost both of them.

Bear and Nurse had much more work and were getting ground down, also because Koski was almost always in net, and who doesn't play the puck much to relieve the punishment the D take. Bear was getting hammered by my count half a dozen times a game. Starts to be difficult to make astute breakouts when you're gettting lined up and playing hurt.

Pretty much a system failure with mediocre goaltending, firedrill defense, and horrible own zone play by the forward group. But another key was the top pair defense of Klefbom/Larsson being hurt placed more responsibility on the second pair unit of Nurse and rookie Bear. This is some of the danger involved in assuming a 60 NHL game played Jones just walks into a second pairing role and quality of opposition with no learning curve over an extended period of time. Jones looks reasonably good in small samples but day-to-day as a second pairing and better players against is throwing the kid into the deep end. Lot riding on Jones 'getting it'. I'm hopeful but here's where the Russell safety net gives some depth support for an inexperienced younger d-man.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I feel like I'm having to mention this everywhere. Jones played in 2 games, only 23 minutes total, and he's our best D? Was he being our best D in the stands? ;)

C'mon people, theres all kinds of discussions, but this is just odd that people think they were seeing Jones out there every game or something.

I think your arguments are actually in favour of Jones' success being more important to the Oilers next season than Barrie's. We know what we're getting with Barrie (mostly). We don't know with Jones, but we're going to be throwing him into a likely Top 4 role anyway. If he craps the bed, the Oilers are screwed.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I picked Jones because his success is more important in stabilizing our D pairings.

The last time Klefbom was out, some of the other Ds got caved in cause they played in a role higher than they should. Benning/Russell played too high. This time around should be different with Barrie. And all the roles of the pairings are supported to one another. So the middle and bottom pairing shouldn't be hemmed up in their own zone as often.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
In my opinion, Jones

I think very highly of Jones, probably more than most. But I think he will be a better 5 on 5 D next season in higher minutes. I also think he will do a better job of replacing Klefbom on 5v5 then Barrie will of replacing Klefbom on the PP. Ill probably get crushed on this opinion but Barries PP ability gets overrated and Klefboms gets (really) underrated. Barrie on Torontos PP last year as not exactly great. And his PP impacts on Colorado appear to be more secondary.

I like the Barrie signing dont get me wrong. But Id have him as a one-dimensional # 4/5 guy who can help on the PP. Jones for me could be a solid all around #4 D in all situation

I agree with you on Barrie PP . If you ask AVS fans they always said Barrie wasn’t that good on the PP but neither was Klefbom so that should be a wash .

I also always thought Jones would become better then Nurse and Klefbom . I still believe Jones will be better .

rating our future LD

1) Broberg future #1D
2) Jones 2 way top 4 D
3) Samorukov 2 way physical top 4 D

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I picked Jones for the following reason.

Jones having a successful year means he fills the minutes that we are missing on the left side in our top 4.

Barrie was at his worst last year, and that would be our best offensive dman.

If I had to choose one succeeding and one failing, we are a better team than last year if Jones succeeds but Barrie fails. I'm not so sure we can say the same the other way?

Now if both succeed, and our new offensive depth pays off, I think we challenge for first in the Canadian division.

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Our left Defense has depth but when I look at it, we only have one strong defensive player coming up from our prospect pool. Samourukov.
Klefbom is important to this team until the samurai is ready.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Someone had mentioned earlier, that this is arbitrary question as we require both to do well for us to be successful, and I agree.

With that said if one had to be more important I went with Jones. Jones displayed the proficiency to succeed as top 4 when Klef went down. He was easily our best defenseman in the play in round when he was injected into the line up as well.

The one game when bear went down for a period and he was trusted with more minutes the momentum completely changed in our favor. Jones should be a better a 5 on 5 defender than Barrie next year.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Someone had mentioned earlier, that this is arbitrary question as we require both to do well for us to be successful, and I agree.

With that said if one had to be more important I went with Jones. Jones displayed the proficiency to succeed as top 4 when Klef went down. He was easily our best defenseman in the play in round when he was injected into the line up as well.

The one game when bear went down for a period and he was trusted with more minutes the momentum completely changed in our favor. Jones should be a better a 5 on 5 defender than Barrie next year.
Jones didn’t even average 12 minutes a night in the play in round. I don’t know why everyone is penciling him into the top 4. The most likely scenario is Russell plays in the top 4 and Jones plays on the bottom pair. A full season looking good on the bottom pair should be considered success for Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad