Jones vs. Barrie: Whose success is more important to the Oilers next season?

Whose success is more important to the Oilers next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id also add this, Barrie having success is almost a given (hes a proven good NHL D, its just a question on how good hell be). Jones is high high upside but unproven at this point. If Jones has a good year and is playing at top 4 level, we now have a pretty good d core

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think Jones. This season could be a big coming out party for him to become a top 4 Dman with Klefbom out.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Id also add this, Barrie having success is almost a given (hes a proven good NHL D, its just a question on how good hell be). Jones is high high upside but unproven at this point. If Jones has a good year and is playing at top 4 level, we now have a pretty good d core
Where is this high high upside coming from for Jones? What has he shown to be projected someone better than Fedun, Davidson, Marincin etc before him?
#6/#7 Dman who can play both sides is what we really need him to be long term.

Reactions: MessierII

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
The question is who’s success is MORE important. Of our existing top 4 the right side has Bear and Larsson. It is nice to have a Barrie to push them or replace an injury. With Klefbom out, Jones’ success in the top 4 is mandatory, because Russell isn’t an option and Sami or Broberg would be a giant leap this early in their pro careers

Reactions: DropTheGloves

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
I’ll go even further, Jones is the 2nd most important dman on the roster. If Bears hurt or falters, Larsson gets the minutes, Barrie is a top 4 option and Bouchard is NHL ready in controlled minutes. On the left side a Nurse injury can’t be replaced from within. A Jones injury can’t be replaced by Russell or Lagesson as they’re 3rd pair ceiling. Sami or Broberg should not play a minute above 3rd pair unless we see a leap larger that Bear made as a 3rd year pro last year.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The question is who’s success is MORE important. Of our existing top 4 the right side has Bear and Larsson. It is nice to have a Barrie to push them or replace an injury. With Klefbom out, Jones’ success in the top 4 is mandatory, because Russell isn’t an option and Sami or Broberg would be a giant leap this early in their pro careers
Russell has actually played top 4 minutes in the nhl for years. He’s going to start in the top 4. Coaches go with proven vet every time. Jones having sustained success on the bottom pair would be considered success. He hasn’t established himself as an nhl regular yet. When we were healthy in the playoffs he was a scratch.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Jones maintaining a solid position on the Oilers on a long-term contract might enable him to convince his brother to join him on the Oil in a couple of years.

From what I've read, they sound like an incredibly close family.

**Fingers Crossed**

Last edited:

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Jones didn’t even average 12 minutes a night in the play in round. I don’t know why everyone is penciling him into the top 4. The most likely scenario is Russell plays in the top 4 and Jones plays on the bottom pair. A full season looking good on the bottom pair should be considered success for Jones.
He's always crushed 3rd pairing when ever he's been given opportunity. Including his rookie year before he was thrown to the wolves with struggling Adam Larsson. He was much more stable last year and did really well filling in for Oscar Klefbom when he was injured.

As for the play in rounds, his deployment is not indictment on his abilities, that's an oversight on the coaching staff as they chose to go with the veteran. First game he played under 10 minutes and second game he played over 14 minutes five on five and looked really good.

I can agree that he has yet to prove he can succeed on the top 4 for entire season, but he's got nothing left to prove on the 3rd pair.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I picked Barrie but it's a good question.

Maybe I should say Jones because the loss of Klefbom raises the stakes on our LHD to step up, and Jones is the obvious choice to ascend to the spot. Meanwhile I'm comfortable with Larsson and Bear.

Barrie is something our team has been starved for for so long however. A true PMD might unlock something special here.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I interpreted the poll question as being who's success this coming season is more important for the Oilers overall success, ie: longterm, so I voted for Jones. I'm anticipating Barrie potentially being in Edmonton for just one year and I don't see the Oilers being Cup contenders so Barrie's contribution to success if it isn't linked to winning a Cup is somewhat limited. He could definitely help with other Oilers D learning from him, but I still think if Jones takes a step forward this year and can establish himself like Bear did last year then that solidifies the Oilers defense and forces the prospect D to really have to push their way onto the roster.

Nurse - Bear
Russell - Barrie
Jones - Larsson

Is there any feasible way to pair the D that works besides the above? Russell - Bear / Russell - Larsson are both not good pairings so you're kind of left with Russell - Barrie by default.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I interpreted the poll question as being who's success this coming season is more important for the Oilers overall success, ie: longterm, so I voted for Jones. I'm anticipating Barrie potentially being in Edmonton for just one year and I don't see the Oilers being Cup contenders so Barrie's contribution to success if it isn't linked to winning a Cup is somewhat limited. He could definitely help with other Oilers D learning from him, but I still think if Jones takes a step forward this year and can establish himself like Bear did last year then that solidifies the Oilers defense and forces the prospect D to really have to push their way onto the roster.

Nurse - Bear
Russell - Barrie
Jones - Larsson

Is there any feasible way to pair the D that works besides the above? Russell - Bear / Russell - Larsson are both not good pairings so you're kind of left with Russell - Barrie by default.
Imo those are the pairings. Although the Larsson-Jones pairing might get more minutes 5 in 5 than the Barrie one.

But Tippett may want to push Barrie as a 5 on 5 player just to have better puck transport. Dont be surprised to see a Nurse-Barrie pairing

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think an argument could still be made that Jones' success would have propelled this team to even greater things, but it's hard to argue with Barrie's season and its impact on the team.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think an argument could still be made that Jones' success would have propelled this team to even greater things, but it's hard to argue with Barrie's season and its impact on the team.
Yeh, no this isn't close.
Argument could be made that we would be down with Canucks and Canucks 2.0 without Barrie's production.

Many Jones voters had him ahead of Nurse on the left side before season for no good reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->