Jones vs. Barrie: Whose success is more important to the Oilers next season?

Whose success is more important to the Oilers next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Part 10 of my offseason poll series.

This time we look at two d-men. Barrie is expected to fill Klef’s role on the PP. Jones is expected to fill in a lot of Klef’s LHD minutes at ES and perhaps even the PK. Barrie will probably get more points, but Jones will probably get more ES minutes. Or will Tippett rely on Barrie more if he plays well? Would Jones taking a Bear-like leap in development be more important to the Oilers though? Whose success is more important?

Time to cast your votes!

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I’d say Barrie, he’s expected to fill in more minutes and take on a bigger role than Jones.

However, Jones stepping up and filling in for Klef’s ev/pk minutes would be monumental and would probably end in him having a higher impact.

I’ll bet on Barrie having a bigger impact for now over a major breakout season from Jones. Although it is possible, Bear did do it last year.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Barrie. I don't think this is even a question.

Starting to question as well if Jones has been just oversold all along. 23.5yrs old and really not seeing a whole lot from him yet. For comparison Nurse is only 2yrs older and has been in 350 games and played 5 full seasons. Jones certainly being more in the slow developing camp. Jones probably doesn't see the lineup on a more complete D lineup.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Caleb if he wasn't Seth brother, he wouldn't be getting this much attention. Glad to have him on the Oilers especially with Klef being out, but he's an bottom pairing D

Reactions: Tom Brady and LTIR

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
It’s a question. If Jones craps the bed, the Oilers will have Nurse and Russell as the top two LHD, which is a recipe for disaster over a full season.

I don't think theres a lot of if at this point. Really at no time have I gotten the feeling that Jones is taking a next step. Usually you see signs, segments, like that. Ethan Bear showed more than Jones ever has. Jones to me looks like somebody that isn't a top 4 D.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think theres a lot of if at this point. Really at no time have I gotten the feeling that Jones is taking a next step. Usually you see signs, segments, like that. Ethan Bear showed more than Jones ever has. Jones to me looks like somebody that isn't a top 4 D.
Disagree with most of this post.

That said, Barrie needs to be able to play important minutes too, so I’m not going to oversell Jones in the poll either.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Jones.

he’s very good when he’s been in a sheltered role, hopefully he can take on a top 4 role so I don’t have to see a starfish for 20 minutes a game

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Disagree with most of this post.

That said, Barrie needs to be able to play important minutes too, so I’m not going to oversell Jones in the poll either.

Yeah, whenever I watch Jones I see a future second pairing defensmen. He's good at both sides of the rink, he can skate, and he's a smart player.

I went with Barrie because I view him as a surefire second pairing defensemen, but I can see Jones tightening that gap this season.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yeah, whenever I watch Jones I see a future second pairing defensmen. He's good at both sides of the rink, he can skate, and he's a smart player.

I went with Barrie because I view him as a surefire second pairing defensemen, but I can see Jones tightening that gap this season.
Little point of clarification: the question isn’t who is more likely to succeed, it’s whose success would be more important. I think you still do have to evaluate who is more likely to succeed as part of that question, but it’s not the entirety of the question.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I think Tyson Barrie is getting underrated right now.

If you go back 2-3 years, he was considered more valuable than Nuge. At the time of the Kadri trade Avs fans were extremely disappointed. He played at a 50+ point pace in 4 of the last 6 years. Now imagine that with McDrai on the pp.

His defensive issues have also become overblown due to his time in Toronto, particularly under Babcock.

Reactions: CarlWising

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Barrie. I don't think this is even a question.

Starting to question as well if Jones has been just oversold all along. 23.5yrs old and really not seeing a whole lot from him yet. For comparison Nurse is only 2yrs older and has been in 350 games and played 5 full seasons. Jones certainly being more in the slow developing camp. Jones probably doesn't see the lineup on a more complete D lineup.

Jones has had Nurse, Klefbom and a highly paid Russell ahead of him. I'm not sure that Jones will be an overly special player, but he is NHL quality and will be at minimum a solid 3rd pairing two way defenseman.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Jones has had Nurse, Klefbom and a highly paid Russell ahead of him. I'm not sure that Jones will be an overly special player, but he is NHL quality and will be at minimum a solid 3rd pairing two way defenseman.

I don't disagree. I just don't see Jones as a top 4 D on a good team. I didn't question him being an NHL player, just a bottom pair type player and those are easy to acquire.

Reactions: Tom Brady

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Barrie fails to provide the offense that we signed him for and plays poor defensively this team is sunk. Jones hopefully will be ready for top 4 duty because we all know that Russell is limited in that role. Both will be very important players for us unless Broberg comes in and eats Jones' lunch in camp and claims a top 4 spot.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
If Jones has a good season he'll be headed to Seattle, if Barrie has a good season he'll be headed to free agency, highest bidder wont be Edmonton. I don't know who to cheer for, because I think the Oilers should be betting their marbles not on this season but the next. We should be trying to shape our future so that season is where we push all-in and keep on tilt after that until our resources are utterly spent and our cupboard is full of cups. Im afraid theyll actually be an excellent pairing and both will exit stage left before the party is even started. Nurse-Bear will be shouldering a heavy load and Russell-Larsson will be drowning just an inch below the surface. Hopefully one of the goalies offers them a straw to breathe through.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't disagree. I just don't see Jones as a top 4 D on a good team. I didn't question him being an NHL player, just a bottom pair type player and those are easy to acquire.

I think that he's young enough to take a step up this season or next, I'm just not sure what his top end is. I used a prime Sekera as a comp for him years ago, let's see if he has that in him.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I'm going to go against the grain here and say Jones. I really don't want Kris Russell in our top four, and the only way that happens outside of a trade/signing is for Jones to take that next step. Thankfully he has some nice arrows going his way. Sure, losing him to Seattle would suck, but it would be worse for him not to make the jump and us to miss the playoffs. I think that's a real possibility with Russell in the top four, shaky goaltending, and no bona fide McWing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Jones has a good season he'll be headed to Seattle, if Barrie has a good season he'll be headed to free agency, highest bidder wont be Edmonton. I don't know who to cheer for, because I think the Oilers should be betting their marbles not on this season but the next. We should be trying to shape our future so that season is where we push all-in and keep on tilt after that until our resources are utterly spent and our cupboard is full of cups. Im afraid theyll actually be an excellent pairing and both will exit stage left before the party is even started.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. If he comes in and lights it up, gets along with the guys in the room, etc. I could see him leaving a little on the table to stay here. It is entirely possible that he just uses us to end up signing elsewhere, but seeing he's from western Canada and the team that we have up front, he will have a hard time finding a better fit team and location wise.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I dont think we are done at LD. Jones, Lagesson and Russell should all be 3rd pairing LDs

For this thread the answer is Jones if he is the 2nd pairing LD.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Jones.

Barrie is already established as an NHL veteran and will be on the ice with McDavid or Draisatl most of the time and on the PP. In a bad season in Toronto generated 40 points. With Klefbom out it is absolutely critical Jones takes a next step as he will be required to play more minutes versus a higher skill of competition in a grind of a schedule with many back to backs. If Jones fails to advance it will critically impair our season.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A successful season for Jones would be establishing himself as a dman who plays every game.

A successful season for Barrie is a 22 minute a night 60 point dman.

The answer here is obvious.

Conversely a bad season from Barrie is going to be a far bigger issue than a bad season from Jones.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I wouldn't be so sure of that. If he comes in and lights it up, gets along with the guys in the room, etc. I could see him leaving a little on the table to stay here. It is entirely possible that he just uses us to end up signing elsewhere, but seeing he's from western Canada and the team that we have up front, he will have a hard time finding a better fit team and location wise.

I didnt explicitly exclude that possibility ;) I think Edmonton is destined to be a lower bidder if he goes to UFA. Maybe he would take a slight discount. If he has a 70 point season I dont think his agent or nhlpa would allow him to sign a low AAV extension, but if he just has a "good" year maybe he would.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It’s a question. If Jones craps the bed, the Oilers will have Nurse and Russell as the top two LHD, which is a recipe for disaster over a full season.

this season Barrie is more important. If he gets back to his Colorado form he’s one of the best offensive Dmen on the game.

Jones following a Bear like development path would be huge, and is more important past the season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I didnt explicitly exclude that possibility ;) I think Edmonton is destined to be a lower bidder if he goes to UFA. Maybe he would take a slight discount. If he has a 70 point season I dont think his agent or nhlpa would allow him to sign a low AAV extension, but if he just has a "good" year maybe he would.

Time will tell, cap space will open up for us next season and we will likely have an influx of players on their ELC's to give us bargain contracts. We could see 2-3 of Broberg, Bouchard and Samorukov on ELC's replacing much more expensive players in Larsson and Russell for instance. If we could front load a 6-7 year deal for Barrie so that he is moveable after say year 3-4 of the deal it could make sense for both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->