• Toews

• Lundqvist

Results are only viewable after voting.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
As a Sens fan, Lundqvist.
He's Swedish and knows Alfie, so that boosts us.
He's not a headcase as have been so many of our goalies, always so cool.
He dresses very well, a plus in this near-hovel of a town.
He's extremely steady, should not be much variance in his play until he is well around retirement age.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
best goalie of the era or a top 10 c in his prime..

still gona have to go with the center

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Center isn't a more valuable position than goalie. The best centers are just more consistently the best from year to year and in a short playoff series than the best goalies. Lundqvist was a major exception to that. Best performing goalie in both playoffs and regular season by a large margin overall over an entire decade.

Reactions: The S5

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Center isn't a more valuable position than goalie. The best centers are just more consistently the best from year to year and in a short playoff series than the best goalies. Lundqvist was a major exception to that. Best performing goalie in both playoffs and regular season by a large margin overall over an entire decade.

Yes it is. Let's look at some recent championship teams.

Who's harder to find. MAF/Matt Murray or Crosby/Malkin? Holtby or Backstrom/Kuznetsov? Tim Thomas or Patrice Bergeron? Crawford/Niemi or Toews? etc.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Who's harder to find. MAF/Matt Murray or Crosby/Malkin? Holtby or Backstrom/Kuznetsov? Tim Thomas or Patrice Bergeron? Crawford/Niemi or Toews? etc.

Please ignore the rest of my post where I explain why that happens.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

goalie's can single-handedly win games and championships for a team. centers can't do that

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Please ignore the rest of my post where I explain why that happens.

"best centers are just more consistently the best from year to year....." > goalie performance doesn't vary that much > it's easy(er) to find a goalie capable of winning a cup > goalies are less valuable.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well yeah that's a huge factor that has to be weighed. To use a baseball analogy, Derek Jeter's bat might not have been as valuable as David Ortiz's but you can bet your ass he was the more valuable player.

Actually, Jeter had a way higher offensive WAR, but I get what you're saying.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Actually, Jeter had a way higher offensive WAR, but I get what you're saying.

Because offensive War is accounting for and adjusting the fact that Jeter is a shortstop and Ortiz is a DH....it's not a position neutral stat

goalie's can single-handedly win games and championships for a team. centers can't do that

Why haven't Luongo or Hank or Price won? Goalies can score goals now?

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Because offensive War is accounting for and adjusting the fact that Jeter is a shortstop and Ortiz is a DH....it's not a position neutral stat

Sure, but when you say Ortiz's bat was more valuable, technically it wasn't.

It was certainly more powerful.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sure, but when you say Ortiz's bat was more valuable, technically it wasn't.

It was certainly more powerful.

David Ortiz was a better hitter than Derek Jeter. That's all I meant, you're overthinking it but I could have said it better as well

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Toews, easy. Because if you can foresee him playing badly at age 30, you can trade him at age 28 for Lundqvist++++++ because C's have much more value than goalies.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
"best centers are just more consistently the best from year to year....." > goalie performance doesn't vary that much > it's easy(er) to find a goalie capable of winning a cup > goalies are less valuable.

Other goalies aren't consistent -> consistent Vezina candidate is even more valuable relatively

Why haven't Luongo or Hank or Price won? Goalies can score goals now?

The best goalie often wins the cup. It's just that the best goalie can vary far more in a 7 game series.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
On the subject of WAR, Corsica has Lundqvist at 54.05 WAR from his 3rd year in the league to his 10th year in the league. Nearly double Toews, and far ahead of Ovechkin (35.32) and Crosby (35.1) from 2007-2015. Having a goalie who is that consistently great is underrated.

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
Knowing their level of play through out their careers easily Lundqvist. Extremely rare case of a goalie staying elite for a very long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad