Jonathan Huberdeau

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Can the Panthers organization groom Huberdeau to be a star in this league? It's never happened before, and there's not a star on this team for him to even learn from. I think it's gonna have to come from him.

My biggest fear is that he moves back up to Canada, grows out his beard, turns 21, and has 6 months of time away from work to reunite with his buddies. Since he was nursing an injury last off-season, I suppose he didn't have much of a choice, but hopefully it's not a habit he repeats.

I'm also worried about his mentality. In an interview after losing to Boston in a recent game he said "Hopefully we'll beat them one day".

For comparisons sake, when I hear Vinny Trocheck in interviews, the guy basically says "I hate losing", or "i've got a refuse to lose attitude" every other sentence and then goes out and outworks men bigger and stronger than him all over the ice.

Granted Hubby's play was getting stronger as the season wore on. But if he plays a few more seasons like this one he'll be playing himself out of the NHL.

The fact that we're even at this point questioning his dedication alarms me, yet may also be entirely premature. This is his first chance to spend an offseason working out, so we have to try to cut him a bit of slack.

Then again I'm not worried one bit about Barkov's work ethic or off season training. Is anyone even questioning what Barkov is gonna do this offseason? I heard somewhere Barkov was telling people that since he injured his lower body it meant that he could work double hard on his upper body. Barky lives and breathes hockey. His best friends names are Stick and Puck.
I think we all think he's gonna be a maniac in the offseason and show up bigger stronger and faster.

Why then do we feel that way about him but not Huberdeau? Hoobie doobie doo you know?

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
Can the Panthers organization groom Huberdeau to be a star in this league? It's never happened before, and there's not a star on this team for him to even learn from. I think it's gonna have to come from him.

My biggest fear is that he moves back up to Canada, grows out his beard, turns 21, and has 6 months of time away from work to reunite with his buddies. Since he was nursing an injury last off-season, I suppose he didn't have much of a choice, but hopefully it's not a habit he repeats.

I'm also worried about his mentality. In an interview after losing to Boston in a recent game he said "Hopefully we'll beat them one day".

For comparisons sake, when I hear Vinny Trocheck in interviews, the guy basically says "I hate losing", or "i've got a refuse to lose attitude" every other sentence and then goes out and outworks men bigger and stronger than him all over the ice.

Granted Hubby's play was getting stronger as the season wore on. But if he plays a few more seasons like this one he'll be playing himself out of the NHL.

The fact that we're even at this point questioning his dedication alarms me, yet may also be entirely premature. This is his first chance to spend an offseason working out, so we have to try to cut him a bit of slack.

Then again I'm not worried one bit about Barkov's work ethic or off season training. Is anyone even questioning what Barkov is gonna do this offseason? I heard somewhere Barkov was telling people that since he injured his lower body it meant that he could work double hard on his upper body. Barky lives and breathes hockey. His best friends names are Stick and Puck.
I think we all think he's gonna be a maniac in the offseason and show up bigger stronger and faster.

Why then do we feel that way about him but not Huberdeau? Hoobie doobie doo you know?

This grooming stuff is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is when i hear excuses that Huby needs get better line mates. GREAT PLAYERS make others better around them and don't need much to make chicken sh** into chicken salad (see Barkov). Huby playing with a 22 year old Wayne Gretzky would not turn him around. It needs to come from within and he needs take his dedication to this game to another level and come back with a body like Tyler Seguin and turn his weak little girl game around. His last 5-6 "assists" he has accumulated in his "improved" games were the 2nd assist or deflecting off his body, rebound assist or give the puck to Goc and let him skate 90 feet and shoot a slap shot that deflected off the defenseman type of points. I watch him very closely like a hawk and he is way behind what it takes to be a successful 1st line or 2nd line player in this league. Trocheck has impressed more in his 10 games with his superb tools (skating, strength, balance, shot, passing and fire) than Huberdeau has in his year and half. I am giving him a pass for this year for the most part because of his hip surgery but he better come Steven Stamkos ripped in his upper and lower body or to me you can just put a fork in him. Training camp next year will tell the story.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Trocheck has impressed more in his 10 games with his superb tools (skating, strength, balance, shot, passing and fire) than Huberdeau has in his year and half

Really? Really? Lets not exaggerate here. Trocheck has two points (not counting and empty netter). Huby had 3 in his first game. But I guess skill and goals isn't what you prefer, rather it is strength and toughness.

Last edited:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Really? Really? Lets not exaggerate here. Trocheck has two points (not counting and empty netter). Huby had 3 in his first game. But I guess skill and goals isn't what you prefer, rather it is strength and toughness.

shiny new toy

trocheck is quite a bit older than huberdeau was when he entered the league too

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The theme of this thread seems to be :deadhorse drowned out by the :nopity:. He's soon to be 21 in June on a team that is bascially dead last in nearly all important statistics. He's coming up to the end of his ELC in 2015 and I'm sure he's more frustrated with his play than we are with it. You can speculate all you want but I'm not ready to call him a bust anytime soon. Last year he had all the love that Barkov was getting this year, now most are calling for a trade/demotion/scratching etc. :amazed:. I hope you like your crow well done because I shudder to think what everyone will say if Barkov or Bjugstad's stats take a dip next year.

Last edited:

Panthersfan1989

Feb 24, 2013
S. Florida
Honestly he is not someone who really had to go through adversity with his career, he along with the staff should really sit down and evaluate what is expected out of him.. He needs to speed up his decision making and get his whole body significantly stronger. Like we have said before he needs to work with a skating coach. He needs to make these strides.. Goldie,billy, dale and everyone else try and pump our tires that he is his worst critic and he only wants to get better. Time to put up or shutup.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
The theme of this thread seems to be :deadhorse drowned out by the :nopity:. He's soon to be 21 in June on a team that is bascially dead last in nearly all important statistics. He's coming up to the end of his ELC in 2015 and I'm sure he's more frustrated with his play than we are with it. You can speculate all you want but I'm not ready to call him a bust anytime soon. Last year he had all the love that Barkov was getting this year, now most are calling for a trade/demotion/scratching etc. :amazed:. I hope you like your crow well done because I shudder to think what everyone will say if Barkov or Bjugstad's stats take a dip next year.

Great post. I personally like to look at it this way. Everyone is loving Bjugstad this year. Bjugstad has scored 32 points in 66 games. Huby has 5 fewer points this season in the same amount of games. Huby is also a year younger. Comparing Bjugstad's rookie year to Huberdeau's we see Bjugstad, 32 in 66 while Huby had 31 in 48. Career points and games are as follows: Huberdeau 58 in 114 (0.51 PPG), Bjugstad 33 in 77 (0.43 PPG). This all with Huby's slump.

Of course some context is needed. And I won't even compare him to Barkov's numbers. The only explanation is the overly high expectations after we saw our first Calder winner.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
all this talk about him coming in huge and ripped and way stronger next year like stamkos etc is a joke... just cause stamkos can do it doesnt mean hubby can do it... players develope physically and different times... he could go bust his ass this offseason and gain 10 lbs of muscle and not come in significantly stronger or faster and u guys will **** on him for not being dedicated.... depends on his body and mature time which is different from player to player... he is a smart player and i dont doubt he will make necessary adjustments.... i am no where near calling him a bust after his 1st full season... some of u need to chill and stop over reacting on young players that have barely played 100 games and are physically outmached...

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

what skills and goals are you referring to? skills, sure, in shootouts and penalty shots. goals, not much of those. yea trocheck's sample size is a lot smaller but even at his height the way he plays will work in this league, i can't necessarily say the same for huberdeau. unless he's playing with an injury all season long that we don't know about then ok, but he's but abysmal this season, and its not like he was THAT spectacular during the shortened season. 3rd overall pick, scored in his first game, some fancy shootout/PS goals and ended up winning the RotY in a season where a lot of strange things happened, everyone jumped on the bandwagon (because its not like we have anything else to be excited over). other than a very few amount of goals here and there that were actually nice, he doesn't do it consistently enough. yes i know he doesn't have many games under his belt but you should see glimpses of it. you should be able to see during games the tools he has, plays with, and uses in this league, every game. trocheck may only have a handful of games but he's played the same style the whole time. I'm just saying huberdeau should be displaying his skill set every single game, consistently, yet every game its been very underwhelming. its alarming for a guy we expect to be a major piece for us moving forward. maybe he is playing with some sort of injury, who knows, whatever his deal is he needs to heal up, and train hard in the offseason. if he (and flash) pull this again next season its going to really hurt us.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
and yes I'm sure barkov and bjugstad would get ripped here if they don't produce too much next season. but they are different. bjugstad has his size and speed. even if his stats don't reflect it, he'll still play the same way. barkov has 3 years of pro experience now, has his size and strength, and even skates better than huberdeau i think. as long as those guys play the game with the same play style we expect from them, and given their size/strength and skill i don't see it changing, then its fine. even if it doesn't reflect in the scoresheet. it'd suck, because we won't win too many games with guys like those not producing. but it won't be as alarming as just flat out playing bad and not producing. theres a difference.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
what skills and goals are you referring to? skills, sure, in shootouts and penalty shots. goals, not much of those. yea trocheck's sample size is a lot smaller but even at his height the way he plays will work in this league, i can't necessarily say the same for huberdeau. unless he's playing with an injury all season long that we don't know about then ok, but he's but abysmal this season, and its not like he was THAT spectacular during the shortened season. 3rd overall pick, scored in his first game, some fancy shootout/PS goals and ended up winning the RotY in a season where a lot of strange things happened, everyone jumped on the bandwagon (because its not like we have anything else to be excited over). other than a very few amount of goals here and there that were actually nice, he doesn't do it consistently enough. yes i know he doesn't have many games under his belt but you should see glimpses of it. you should be able to see during games the tools he has, plays with, and uses in this league, every game. trocheck may only have a handful of games but he's played the same style the whole time. I'm just saying huberdeau should be displaying his skill set every single game, consistently, yet every game its been very underwhelming. its alarming for a guy we expect to be a major piece for us moving forward. maybe he is playing with some sort of injury, who knows, whatever his deal is he needs to heal up, and train hard in the offseason. if he (and flash) pull this again next season its going to really hurt us.

If you don't see his skills then I don't know what to tell you. His raw talent is evident every game. That's the problem, he is young and his talent is undeveloped. You can see his great hands, vision, passing, etc. He will be a very good playmaker in the future. Everyone here is down on him because of his athleticism, which is something that is easy to improve. If you want to look further into it he is 3rd in the league in penalty +/- with a +17. His skill is there, his athleticism, which can and will be improved, is not.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
well yes he has skill of course. but it won't mean anything if he doesn't change his approach, whether its his speed, size, mindset, his skills won't be effective if he doesn't change other parts of his game. and i hope he can change those things.
but it sounded like you were saying trocheck doesn't have skill, or at least huberdeau level skills. which i don't think is fair to trocheck because he's actually showing better than huberdeau.

the two things he needs to do this offseason is get heavier/strong, and improve his speeeeed! he plays so friggin slow, fits in well with jovo out there. if he actually moves then maybe we'll see something out of him. thats why i think he's gotta be playing with some injury, because theres no excuse for playing the way he has and playing so slow.

Last edited:

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
the two things he needs to do this offseason is get heavier/strong, and improve his speeeeed! he plays so friggin slow, fits in well with jovo out there. if he actually moves then maybe we'll see something out of him. thats why i think he's gotta be playing with some injury, because theres no excuse for playing the way he has and playing so slow.

He was plenty fast enough last year to keep getting penalty shots, so improving his speed is probably just a factor of getting back to full strength after his injury, which I don't thunk he ever was.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Somebody just tie the kid up, put him in a sac and drop him off on Gary Robert's front door please with a sign that says "train me please" on his forehead.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
He played his whole rookie season with the hip injury so there's a good chance we have never actually seen him at full health.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
to me, huberdeau's biggest problem is his shot. it's terrible.

he has great instincts, great moves, vision. but his shot takes forever to get off and generally always hits the goalie in the chest.

he also just never shoots, instead tries to deke around everyone. this ain't juniors anymore kid, doesnt work here.

he needs to spend all offseason working on his release and accuracy.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
to me, huberdeau's biggest problem is his shot. it's terrible.

he has great instincts, great moves, vision. but his shot takes forever to get off and generally always hits the goalie in the chest.

he also just never shoots, instead tries to deke around everyone. this ain't juniors anymore kid, doesnt work here.

he needs to spend all offseason working on his release and accuracy.

Huby should go spend some time at Bjugstad's dad's shooting academy to improve his shot. It did wonders for Bjugstad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad