Jonathan Huberdeau

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
I just noticed that Huberdeau is having a bit of a sophmore slump this year.

I wondering what your thoughts are of his top end talent?

#1LW, #2LW?

60 pt guy?
70 pt guy?
80 pt guy?

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
I just noticed that Huberdeau is having a bit of a sophmore slump this year.

I wondering what your thoughts are of his top end talent?

#1LW, #2LW?

60 pt guy?
70 pt guy?
80 pt guy?

He's always been more of a facilitator than a scorer, so like Barkov his future point totals will really depend on who the team puts around him. He responded nicely to being dropped to the 3rd line w/ 2 pts and a SO goal the other night, but for the next 2-3 seasons I see him being a 60 point guy max.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
He's always been more of a facilitator than a scorer, so like Barkov his future point totals will really depend on who the team puts around him. He responded nicely to being dropped to the 3rd line w/ 2 pts and a SO goal the other night, but for the next 2-3 seasons I see him being a 60 point guy max.

On average, yes, 60 point player. I could see him hitting 65-70 some years if he gets stronger and gets a sniper on his line.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
On average, yes, 60 point player. I could see him hitting 65-70 some years if he gets stronger and gets a sniper on his line.

Yep, the Panthers just are not an offensive team and it takes several key players to turn into one. Look at San Jose, overflowing with offensive weapons and pure scorers.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
i still think huberedau can peak at PPG if he gets a line built around him

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I still think he has a Claude Giroux type ceiling.

I can see that happening, but he has to work on his physical attributes over the next couple of summers. We know he couldnt work out last summer, so Im hoping he can hit the ice/gym hard this summer. He needs to become a bit more selfish too at times, and shoot the puck. I still think he can be a PPG player in this league.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
He will only be as good as the talent around him, especially now that he's out on the wing. If we give him a top scorer and a sniper, easy 70+. If not, high 50s.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
He will only be as good as the talent around him, especially now that he's out on the wing. If we give him a top scorer and a sniper, easy 70+. If not, high 50s.

Obviously this is just speculating for fun, but imagine a healthy Bure getting fed passes from Huberdeau and/or Barkov. Kozlov was good and became an allstar with Bure, but imagine Huberdeau with a guy like Brett Hull, Bure, Stamkos, or even a Pat Sharp or mediocre shooters like Setoguchi. It'd be fun to see!

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
He has a good attitude and drive to get better which is huge for a younger player. I'm glad Horachek is there to work with him, he seems like a better coach than Dineen and DeBoer as far as being more of a calming and methodical influence on him. Huber seems to have fully bought in playing on the 3rd line right now in order to simplify his game and grow from there.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
PH said he'll be in the lineup Thursday despite sitting for most of the 3rd period yesterday.

So much for accountability. If Matthias would have gotten stoned on a breakaway, committed 2 offensive zone penalties, turned the puck over in the neutral zone that turned directly in to a goal and was a -2 in a game we won 4-2 we probably would have never see Shawn Matthias ever again. I'm shocked he is not sitting after yesterdays game.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'm sure his struggles have a lot to do with a bit of a mental block. He needs to clear his mind asap or over the Olympic Break and attempt to start from a new slate of this season over again.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Olympic break will give him a few weeks to get some PT in and have a reset. It's pretty clear his skating slowed down even this season.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
He will get better. He had hip surgery in the summer. It's tough to recover from that for a while. I think he will have a bounce back year next season. It's been a sophomore slump for him.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
So much for accountability. If Matthias would have gotten stoned on a breakaway, committed 2 offensive zone penalties, turned the puck over in the neutral zone that turned directly in to a goal and was a -2 in a game we won 4-2 we probably would have never see Shawn Matthias ever again. I'm shocked he is not sitting after yesterdays game.

Getting stopped on a breakaway is a factor that contributes to a benching in your opinion? :shakehead

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Hyperbole me thinks.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
I'm really trying not to feel bitter about MacKinnon's success but when I see how far he's pulled away from the other rookies in scoring I can't help but feel like we were robbed of a superstar. I'm really hoping Huberdeau can provide that type of scoring for us, but I'm beginning to have some serious doubts.

Is Huberdeau going to develop into the offensive superstar we thought he would be when we drafted him, or is the sophomore slump a serious sign of being a bust?

About that sophomore slump phenomenon...

People act like this is a sophomore slump, but this slump arrived in his rookie season. He really only produced for the first half of last year's half season, and then topped it off with three points in his final game.

I thought he was supposed to be explosive enough offensively for more than 1 goal in 26 games.

Mayday!

Last edited:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I'm really trying not to feel bitter about MacKinnon's success but when I see how far he's pulled away from the other rookies in scoring I can't help but feel like we were robbed of a superstar. I'm really hoping Huberdeau can provide that type of scoring for us, but I'm beginning to have some serious doubts.

Is Huberdeau going to develop into the offensive superstar we thought he would be when we drafted him, or is the sophomore slump a serious sign of being a bust?

People act like this is a sophomore slump, but this slump arrived in his rookie season. He really only produced for the first half of last year's half season, and then topped it off with three points in his final game.

I thought he was supposed to be explosive enough offensively for more than 1 goal in 26 games.

Mayday!

I agree. It sucks watching MacK and wishing that we had the #1 pick.

He would of been perfect for this team.

Time will tell if it was a flash in the pan, injuries, or just bad luck for Huberdeau.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
if u gave huberdeau or barkov or bjugstad linemates that included gabriel landeskog, matt duchene, ryan o'reilly, PA parentau and on the backend eric johnson feeding u pucks. There numbers could very easily have been doubled.

Not to mention playing on a team with strategy, winning attitude, and solid coaching.

Its hard to compare apples and rotten oranges.

ITs time for this organization to provide the golden red apples like Vanek, Moulson, and Callahan to create an environment that bolsters young players performance.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site

Mayday!

It's foolish for people here to discount the difference in caliber of players once they are "keyed-on" by opponents. A lot of young players come into the NHL and establish themselves early on with success. What separates the elite talents from the rest of the league is the ability to overcome the tight checking once the focused gameplans are drawn up to counter that success. Huberdeau wasn't schemed against early on, but now everyone knows the book on him. He can dangle with the best of them, but you can't stickhandle through an NHL defenseman. He is also not fast enough to burn around anyone. His true value and points should ultimately come from the powerplay, where he has the space he needs to succeed. For this to happen, he needs the right linemates. Of course he had his hip injury and he may improve once given an offseason of training, but he hasn't shown the ability to rise up above the teams that are trying to shut him down.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site

Mayday!
I totally agree with all of this BTW; just quoted for truth. I wish we had grabbed MacKinnon, though I do like Barkov. It's strange to think, in all likelihood, Barkov and Bjugstad are much more likely to be cornerstones of this franchise than Huberdeau, Gudbranson, and Markstrom.

But we've all seen this before.....remember Luongo, Horton, Weiss, Taticek, Krajicek, Bouwmeester, etc. that were going to allow us to have a "dynasty," with multiple cups in the mid 2000s. We got 0 playoff experiences out of it. For all of our "awesome prospects," it looks like Bjugs and Barkov are absolutely legitimate. Petrovic may or may not become a stud, Guds is meh, Howden is a busttttt (don't care how great a 3rd liner he becomes...1st rounder and he can't even score in the A....awful), Shore could be a decent 2nd/3rd line tweener, Markstrom looks rough....for our "#1" organizational depth, there isn't as much to be excited about as we would all hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad