Jonathan Huberdeau

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
how many times have florida actually drafted topx a year when there was a sure-fire #xs?

florida have drafted high in mediocre drafts outside of last years where we got barkov. if we got tavares, i dont think he would have been worse than he is now

florida has been **** developping, but did boston or leafs "create" kessel? bruins or sharks create thornton?

i think we have picked wrong, but i dont think the lack of elite talent in the history of the franchise is a bigger reason than bad grooming

I agree with you because I don't think there's one particular problem, I think there's multiple reasons we have never produced an offensive all star through the draft in twenty years.

Yes, we've probably picked the wrong players.

No, we haven't gotten crosby or malkin or ovechkin when we drafted high. We've been unlucky or maybe even cursed.

But, the ones we pick up come into an organization without any high end players to help groom, i mean guide them. That's got to have some sort of an impact on their development. I mean, they are still developing after all. Just for an example, one thing that I thought was great for Crosby (let me clarify that this does not mean I am suggesting Hubby is the next Crosby) was that he had Lemieux to show him the ropes. Stamkos had St Louis and Lecavalier, and that pattern has kind of sprung up in a lot of excellent teams over the years and I think that's incredibly important for any young and impressionable boys coming in to the NHL who are learning how to be stars and men in this league. I think it shows them up close what you have to do to take your game to the next level.

Our high end offensive prospects have a long history of learning from 2nd and 3rd line grinders playing on the 1st line....and that has continued under Tallon's watch.

And when we had Horton, what did he learn from Olli (probably the only legit 1st liner other than bure we've ever had) other than how to be lazy and skip Panther events to go golfing? If i remember correctly all he learned from Olli was a bunch of bad habits and how to have fun by the beach.

I mean, if Huberdeau is learning how to be an offensive all star in this league who is he learning from? My only guess would be our very own Tomas Fleischmann. So maybe it's not a coincidence that he's struggling to regain his calder touch, because Flash hasn't flashed a flashback of his former self all season long. He's really been a non-factor, like Hubby.

Also, expecting hubby to learn how to compete by playing with a rookie in Bjugstad is something I would call bad grooming for both of them.

What is Tallon to do though?

I dont know...I don't know what he does, and it's not my job...But he's also accountable in what's going on with Hubby, and with the current state of the team. Yeah ownership has strapped him from being a power player in the free agency in recent years, but we've got to put these talented guys projected to be offensive scorers in an environment where they can win grow and thrive and become offensive scorers and we haven't seen that happen in 20 years and counting...and for that reason i'm worried that history will repeat itself.

Last edited:

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
i think couldnt skate all summer sums it up perfectly... this quote doesnt help your argument... summer is the only time these athletes have to develope physically and gain strength... if he couldnt skate all summer how is he supposed to build his lower half? the offseason is crucial for young players and if he cant work his lower body properly, when he clearly needs to, that is a huge disadvantage!!!!
we havent had a prospect ever like huby... he thinks the game on a different level than anyone weve had so to compare past prospects to him is apples and oranges... he is smart enough to make adjustments and figure it out... combine that with a proper off season of heavy training like he needs and i have no doubts he will bounce back next year... i dont see an offensive superstar or whatever u wanna call it but i do see a 25-30 goal 60-70 point player... which is damn fine if u ask me

I don't buy into that. Yes, they need to work out lower half...But as far as skating is concerned I don't buy that the reason he's struggling because he has "not skat(ed) all summer".

The reason I say that is because I have been watching Panthers games all season long and he's been skating all season long.

Last edited:

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I don't buy into that. Yes, they need to work out lower half...But as far as skating is concerned I don't buy that the reason he's struggling because he has "not skat(ed) all summer".

The reason I say that is because I have been watching Panthers games all season long and he's been skating all season long.

oh i agree thts not the only reason he is struggling... hes clearly lost confidence.... decision making has clearly been off... the leading scorer on our team wont have 50 pts when the season is done... there are a number of reasons... but skating during the season is different than offseason training... u develope all your muscle mass and power and explosiveness in the offseason so without that he looks weak... thats a huge reason for that...u cant develope muscle and power during the season... but again i think he is too smart to not make adjustments and with a full offseason his skating and strength should drastically improve

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I agree with you because I don't think there's one particular problem, I think there's multiple reasons we have never produced an offensive all star through the draft in twenty years.

Yes, we've probably picked the wrong players.

No, we haven't gotten crosby or malkin or ovechkin when we drafted high. We've been unlucky or maybe even cursed.

But, the ones we pick up come into an organization without any high end players to help groom, i mean guide them. That's got to have some sort of an impact on their development. I mean, they are still developing after all. Just for an example, one thing that I thought was great for Crosby (let me clarify that this does not mean I am suggesting Hubby is the next Crosby) was that he had Lemieux to show him the ropes. Stamkos had St Louis and Lecavalier, and that pattern has kind of sprung up in a lot of excellent teams over the years and I think that's incredibly important for any young and impressionable boys coming in to the NHL who are learning how to be stars and men in this league. I think it shows them up close what you have to do to take your game to the next level.

Our high end offensive prospects have a long history of learning from 2nd and 3rd line grinders playing on the 1st line....and that has continued under Tallon's watch.

And when we had Horton, what did he learn from Olli (probably the only legit 1st liner other than bure we've ever had) other than how to be lazy and skip Panther events to go golfing? If i remember correctly all he learned from Olli was a bunch of bad habits and how to have fun by the beach.

I mean, if Huberdeau is learning how to be an offensive all star in this league who is he learning from? My only guess would be our very own Tomas Fleischmann. So maybe it's not a coincidence that he's struggling to regain his calder touch, because Flash hasn't flashed a flashback of his former self all season long. He's really been a non-factor, like Hubby.

Also, expecting hubby to learn how to compete by playing with a rookie in Bjugstad is something I would call bad grooming for both of them.

What is Tallon to do though?

I dont know...I don't know what he does, and it's not my job...But he's also accountable in what's going on with Hubby, and with the current state of the team. Yeah ownership has strapped him from being a power player in the free agency in recent years, but we've got to put these talented guys projected to be offensive scorers in an environment where they can win grow and thrive and become offensive scorers and we haven't seen that happen in 20 years and counting...and for that reason i'm worried that history will repeat itself.

I've been saying this for a while now. Who has Gudbranson have as a guide? Old man Jovo, whenever he was healthy. Who has been our top scoring forward for the past 3 years? Tomas "Where's the net" Fleischmann. You can even make the argument for Markstrom. Isn't this the first year he's even had a goalie coach? I believe I read that somewhere here.

The problem isn't mostly the guys we draft. It's who's already here to help them reach their potential. I really hope this offseason that Tallon can bring in some real players to give this team some kind of direction, be it through trade or FA. The purse-strings are supposedly open.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
I've been saying this for a while now. Who has Gudbranson have as a guide? Old man Jovo, whenever he was healthy. Who has been our top scoring forward for the past 3 years? Tomas "Where's the net" Fleischmann. You can even make the argument for Markstrom. Isn't this the first year he's even had a goalie coach? I believe I read that somewhere here.

The problem isn't mostly the guys we draft. It's who's already here to help them reach their potential. I really hope this offseason that Tallon can bring in some real players to give this team some kind of direction, be it through trade or FA. The purse-strings are supposedly open.

Yeah I know right its really a problem that extends beyond the offense.

I still cannot fathom how the team waited until Markstrom was playing night after night and getting his confidence destroyed before they thought hmmmm maybe he should have a goalie coach?!

It scares me how they are handling these guys. Rookies on the first line and stuff.I really hope whatever they do going forward that our worst days are behind us and not ahead. They've got to find some people who lead by example and production.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida

Great post man. On top of that, I'd like to point out what confidence does for players. Going out and feeling good about yourself takes the stress off. None of these guys play that way. It's evident out on the ice. Having legitimate "consistent" talent will help everybody play better, which will only help the confidence of the entire team. Feeling good about your chances and about yourselves is the best way to play hockey and this team has never had that, and until we acquire those pieces that are consistent threats all the time -- we won't have that.

cats31

Jun 19, 2013
Yeah I know right its really a problem that extends beyond the offense.

I still cannot fathom how the team waited until Markstrom was playing night after night and getting his confidence destroyed before they thought hmmmm maybe he should have a goalie coach?!

It scares me how they are handling these guys. Rookies on the first line and stuff.I really hope whatever they do going forward that our worst days are behind us and not ahead. They've got to find some people who lead by example and production.

To answer your original question about Huby I would say yes I am concerned with him not being an offensive superstar. He is still only 20 years old though. I think next year at about this time is will tell us a lot more. He will have a full offseason to train and improve this year and he should have some improved line mates with him next year.

Also I believe we have the right kind of owner right now and Tallon who in the past has done a pretty good job building teams. It is a joke that for all these years we haven't had a goalie coach. Is it a coincidence that we get a new owner and 2 months later we hire a goalie coach? Hopefully it's simple Tallon is finally getting the tools to run a successful team when it comes to development, scouting, etc. and not just money in acquiring players.

Erick*

Why does this matter?

They're professional hockey players. I bet plenty of stars drink and get all the girls they want too. They're professional hockey players with athletic bodies and a lot of money...

This is all irrelevant.

Huberdeau stinks this year because he still doesn't look strong enough to consistently compete at this level some nights and he enjoys passing the puck at times when he doesn't really have to.

Patrick Kane parties a lot too. He seems to be ok.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
The thing that worries me is he's playing a junior hockey game in the NHL right now.

I think this is the best analysis I have read on Huberdeau's game in short. This also with his skinny frame, lack of strength, poor balance, mediocre shot and average to below average skating is not a great recipe for long term success in the NHL.

Huby needs to really work hard on his body and build strength and work on his balance and most important think about what his game really is. He's not going to score a lot of goals the way he's going about it right now.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I think this is the best analysis I have read on Huberdeau's game in short. This also with his skinny frame, lack of strength, poor balance, mediocre shot and average to below average skating is not a great recipe for long term success in the NHL.

Huby needs to really work hard on his body and build strength and work on his balance and most important think about what his game really is. He's not going to score a lot of goals the way he's going about it right now.

Huberdeau needs to give Gary Roberts a call and ask him to get his skinny a-word into shape. Also, a good shot is usually the last element of the player that comes to fruition in the NHL transition.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
Why does this matter?

They're professional hockey players. I bet plenty of stars drink and get all the girls they want too. They're professional hockey players with athletic bodies and a lot of money...

This is all irrelevant.

Huberdeau stinks this year because he still doesn't look strong enough to consistently compete at this level some nights and he enjoys passing the puck at times when he doesn't really have to.

Patrick Kane parties a lot too. He seems to be ok.
In his (Huberdeau) case it matters, Florida has pretty strict penalties for underage drinking including jail time.

JOL

Jan 19, 2006
Guys, HFBoards is pretty strict when it comes to libel.

If you are going to reference off ice player issues you need to reference a reputable source.

Not my rules, so please don't PM me to complain.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

Not skating = not training the lower half. Lower body muscles are the ones that consume the most energy and for a long NHL season not only strength but endurance training is needed. His hip injury kept him initially on a wheelchair and when he won the Calder he was on crutches and remained that way much into the summer. I think by dev camp he was walking again. That much time with ZERO lower body use not only robs him of lower body training but muscle mass. By time he was skating in August that is a lot of time lost for training and in muscle mass lost. Mass which he had to make up before improving.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i think he'll be fine if we can add some real talent on that huberdeau-bjugstad line.
my issues with huberdeau is that he's pretty light weight, especially being 6'1. he skates too slow when he gets the puck, handles it too much (when skating up the wing) when he should be hustling up the ice with it. i actually prefer the way barkov skates and everyone was ripping on him in the offseason for his skating ability. has a lousy shot, but at the same time, needs to be more assertive with it. he needs to get open and not be afraid to rip a wrist shot here and there because he neverrrr shoots, he's 8th on the team in shots when we're relying on him to be one of our better and more productive players. he's barely got more shots than barkov. he also tries to deak too much. i think he'll be fine though. i just never see him as this 30+goal scorer and 70-80pt player that a lot of people were making him out to be, never have and its not just because of this season. he should consistently be in the 23-25goal range and 30+assist range, thats where i realistically have always seen him.
this is also just his 2nd year and his first full year, didn't have much of an offseason, upshall is the other winger on that line, and overall is playing on a lousy team with his confident low as well as the team itself.

Last edited:

CapeShamrock

Jul 15, 2011
i think he'll be fine if we can add some real talent on that huberdeau-bjugstad line.
my issues with huberdeau is that he's pretty light weight, especially being 6'1. he skates too slow when he gets the puck, handles it too much (when skating up the wing) when he should be hustling up the ice with it. i actually prefer the way barkov skates and everyone was ripping on him in the offseason for his skating ability. has a lousy shot, but at the same time, needs to be more assertive with it. he needs to get open and not be afraid to rip a wrist shot here and there because he neverrrr shoots, he's 8th on the team in shots when we're relying on him to be one of our better and more productive players. he's barely got more shots than barkov. he also tries to deak too much. i think he'll be fine though. i just never see him as this 30+goal scorer and 70-80pt player that a lot of people were making him out to be, never have and its not just because of this season. he should consistently be in the 23-25goal range and 30+assist range, thats where i realistically have always seen him.
this is also just his 2nd year and his first full year, didn't have much of an offseason, upshall is the other winger on that line, and overall is playing on a lousy team with his confident low as well as the team itself.

Why are we addressing one of the young elite forwards in the league. Huby is a GREAT pick. He has that innate scoring ability that he will never lose and in the next 1-2 years will futhur develope his strength, speed and quickness. He currently just does not have the physical make-up similar to the other young guns (Barkov and Jugs) to go after it night after night. Another year or two he will be thicker, more mature and feeling it more consistently. He'll be great.

Also, the players that we should be talking about are 26+ and older. They are the men in their so called prime years. Are they hitting, scoring, intimidating anyone? What do they bring to the table, if anything night after night. If you are not bringing anything to the table, see ya !!!!

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Why are we addressing one of the young elite forwards in the league. Huby is a GREAT pick. He has that innate scoring ability that he will never lose and in the next 1-2 years will futhur develope his strength, speed and quickness. He currently just does not have the physical make-up similar to the other young guns (Barkov and Jugs) to go after it night after night. Another year or two he will be thicker, more mature and feeling it more consistently. He'll be great.

Also, the players that we should be talking about are 26+ and older. They are the men in their so called prime years. Are they hitting, scoring, intimidating anyone? What do they bring to the table, if anything night after night. If you are not bringing anything to the table, see ya !!!!

Huberdeau is still in a boy's body. He needs to develop that man strength that every player around him has.. Typically, it occurs when a young man is in his early 20's, we're talking by 21, 22 or 23. He also needs an entire offseason to train at the highest level. He didn't/couldn't do that last season. If he doesn't do that this offseason and we see the him repeat 13'14' in 14'15', then I'd say he's in trouble and we're in trouble as well.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Huberdeau needs to give Gary Roberts a call and ask him to get his skinny a-word into shape. Also, a good shot is usually the last element of the player that comes to fruition in the NHL transition.

Yeah, Stamkos really turned things around after his summer of training with Gary.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Huberdeau is still in a boy's body. He needs to develop that man strength that every player around him has.. Typically, it occurs when a young man is in his early 20's, we're talking by 21, 22 or 23. He also needs an entire offseason to train at the highest level. He didn't/couldn't do that last season. If he doesn't do that this offseason and we see the him repeat 13'14' in 14'15', then I'd say he's in trouble and we're in trouble as well.

He's a tough player. When he hits his prime he should be hard to handle. He's taking his lumps this season and he looks like a guy that lives under a bridge. How can I not like this guy?

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
From GDT wanted it here too:

Sit Huberdeau for the rest of the year. Tell him don't worry about it kid, rest the body AND mind as it's been a struggle. But come next year... you come to play as an elite player. No more play like this injured or not. Hit the weight room hard, study film, be around your teammates. If you want to be a cornerstone member of this franchise things have to change, and it starts with you. Tallon has to be the guy to have this talk with him. One of the most important talks of the off season.

Btw I like the kid and still believe in him. Just putting my coaching hat on right now it's in my blood

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I think he will come good.

Sophomore slump.

He's a more targeted player after winning the Calder last season.

He does needs to bulk up.

He also needs Mueller back!

Jan 19, 2006
When I watched him live before the "upper body injury" it seemed clear to me that something was wrong with his lower body. Skating motion was not right.

I wonder if the hip is still bothering him.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
You can't do anything without your legs.

The Panthers need to get Huberdeau on Gary Roberts program or whoever the equivalent is for therapy after a hip injury. He's 20 years old, he will need the outside motivation during the off season. No one is as self motivated at 20 as they are at 29,31...etc.

Well except for Barkov. Maybe they should just be roomates and work out together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad