Jonathan Huberdeau

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
He's played really well the past 3-4 games in my opinion. At least he's been getting scoring chances and creating a few opportunities.

There was a 20-25 game stretch where he literally did nothing.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
He's played really well the past 3-4 games in my opinion. At least he's been getting scoring chances and creating a few opportunities.

There was a 20-25 game stretch where he literally did nothing.

He's been playing extremely well lately. Only problem is, like the rest of this team, he is waiting too long to shoot (see breakaways and shootouts) and trying to get too cute (see passing when he should shoot). Both sophomore problems. In juniors, those things usually aren't a problem. However, he is an extremely heady hockey player. That play off the faceoff against the Leafs was a spectacular play and he's getting physical when needed.

Still have no doubts this kid is going to be special when he has the right guys around him. Just look at him with Bjugs. That pairing needs to stick for the rest of the year.

Gordonx11

#CatsAreComing
Jan 21, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I think unlike Barkov of Jugs, Huby is one who can't do things on his own. When I say that I mean he needs a decent goal scorer or two beside him to hit his highest potential.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
I totally agree with all of this BTW; just quoted for truth. I wish we had grabbed MacKinnon, though I do like Barkov. It's strange to think, in all likelihood, Barkov and Bjugstad are much more likely to be cornerstones of this franchise than Huberdeau, Gudbranson, and Markstrom.

But we've all seen this before.....remember Luongo, Horton, Weiss, Taticek, Krajicek, Bouwmeester, etc. that were going to allow us to have a "dynasty," with multiple cups in the mid 2000s. We got 0 playoff experiences out of it. For all of our "awesome prospects," it looks like Bjugs and Barkov are absolutely legitimate. Petrovic may or may not become a stud, Guds is meh, Howden is a busttttt (don't care how great a 3rd liner he becomes...1st rounder and he can't even score in the A....awful), Shore could be a decent 2nd/3rd line tweener, Markstrom looks rough....for our "#1" organizational depth, there isn't as much to be excited about as we would all hope.

Great post, and perfectly sums up why this franchise has been living at the bottom of the standings so long. Tons of draft picks, but no great ones, and a poor development system. To top it off, a cycle of failed NHL teams that these kids move up into that's endless.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Ah the "it never happened before, so it will never happen" rule? My favorite.

I prefer to think "history tends to repeat itself." The only players that could ever become offensive stars here are guys like Crosby or Ovie, who transcend the organizations they're drafted into. This hopefully will change with a new culture and viola/Tallon, but I'm not overly optimistic that we're progressing forward.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Ah, the straw man effect is mighty with this one!

Seriously though, you can't think of one name, thank you for proving my point. :yo:

although, how many teams have groomed an offensive superstar?

depends mainly of the definition of superstar

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Judging from them and the regimes those kids came through compared to now is crazy. When was our last Calder winner? When was the last time a player rose through his draft pedigree like Trocheck, Shore, Bjugstad? When did we have so many talented prospects in the system?

This is the first time in franchise history where we have a legit development program. I can't begin to understand how you can draw comparison to the "programs" of Keenan, Martin etc.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Judging from them and the regimes those kids came through compared to now is crazy. When was our last Calder winner? When was the last time a player rose through his draft pedigree like Trocheck, Shore, Bjugstad? When did we have so many talented prospects in the system?

This is the first time in franchise history where we have a legit development program. I can't begin to understand how you can draw comparison to the "programs" of Keenan, Martin etc.

Not worrying about your calder winning offensive superstar scoring 1 goal in 27 games is crazy. Trocheck and Shore aren't even NHL'ers yet that is quite a premature argument to make there. They haven't proven anything in the NHL yet.

Besides, maybe if you read what I wrote initially as oppose to what mr strawman was spinning, you'd see i was asking if you guys are as worried about Huberdeau's lack of production that began in the second half of last year as I am, and whether or not we should still expect him to be an offensive superstar in the NHL?

You guys haven't really even engaged in conversation, you're projecting straw man arguments.

Show me where I said "Huberdeau is a bust and we will never be able to groom a superstar."

If you guys can find where I wrote that all your comments will have some reasoning behind them, but then again, strawmen don't need reasoning when they can misinterpret what's being said.

Fact is, i'm concerned with Huberdeau's lack of production because he's only been offensively productive for half of a lockout season in the NHL thus far.

We all saw that Versteeg only had one good half season and we clobbered him for that but we're seeing the same from Huberdeau and i'm "crazy" for asking you guys if you're concerned?

Yes, he has looked much better the last 4-5 games, but he still hasn't scored a goal in 27 games, therefore, I am concerned.

Last edited:

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
Not worrying about your calder winner scoring 1 goal in 27 games is crazy. Trocheck and Shore aren't even NHL'ers yet that is quite a premature argument to make there.

Besides, maybe if you read what I wrote initially as oppose to what mr strawman was spinning, you'd see i was asking how if you guys worried by Huberdeua's lack of production since the second half of last year, and whether or we can still expect him to be an offensive superstar in the NHL.

Easily. His upside has shown through plenty of games. He hasn't been healthy really in his time here. He got the injury during the WJCs and it wore on him during the season. His surgery kept him off the ice till August, he wasn't even cleared for contact before the last preseason game. He isn't the same player as last season because he isn't the same physically. He's also at a -7 for the year despite a scoring slump, with 4 of those from last few games. It isn't hard to put 2 + 2 together here. He'll be fine.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

Chicago has groomed some pretty good young guys with Kane and Toews. So have the Islanders with Tavares. Phil Kessel has turned things around. We can even go backwards and look at Joe Thornton. The list is endless really...just look at teams with players that can put the puck in the net.

But the list is so long let's bring it closer to home and look at our Florida Bro's.

Look how Lecavalier turned out in comparison to our Victor Kozlov. Look at Stamkos. Look at St. Louis.

Now, what offensive all star game player in this league have the Panthers churned out in the last 20 years?

I know Tallon wasn't around then, but this organization has never - and has still yet to prove - that it can groom top of the line NHL all star level offensive talent. So when I'm seeing Huberdeau going through slumps this bad, 1 goal in 27 games, that is worrisome. I get worried that the guy I thought was finally our offensive firepower this organization has never cultivated may not be him.

Last edited:

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Easily. His upside has shown through plenty of games. He hasn't been healthy really in his time here. He got the injury during the WJCs and it wore on him during the season. His surgery kept him off the ice till August, he wasn't even cleared for contact before the last preseason game. He isn't the same player as last season because he isn't the same physically. He's also at a -7 for the year despite a scoring slump, with 4 of those from last few games. It isn't hard to put 2 + 2 together here. He'll be fine.

“There are no excuses, I’m not physically tired,’’ Huberdeau said. “The surgery, I couldn’t skate all summer. But now I feel pretty good on the ice. There’s no hip problem or anything. It’s on me. I have to get better."

Straight from the horses mouth.

For the record, Hubby has looked a lot better the past 4-5 games. I have seen flashes of brilliance, drive, hunger and passion that was missing all year and I hope he can keep it up.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
“There are no excuses, I’m not physically tired,’’ Huberdeau said. “The surgery, I couldn’t skate all summer. But now I feel pretty good on the ice. There’s no hip problem or anything. It’s on me. I have to get better."

For the record, Hubby has looked a lot better the past 4-5 games. I have seen flashes of brilliance, drive, hunger and passion that was missing all year and I hope he can keep it up.

Protip: Never trust an athlete on what they say about thier own injury. Hubey has been well groomed (all athletes are) to say "the right things." Even last year there wasn't a peep about his hip until he had surgery. Only in the most rare of instances will they reveal if something is bothering them physically.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Ah, the straw man effect is mighty with this one!

Seriously though, you can't think of one name, thank you for proving my point. :yo:

Of course I couldn't name one. That was the point of my comment. It's never happened before. Did that mean that we are somehow cursed to never have a star player on this team?

Let me ask you this. How many superstars single handedly turned a franchise around? This team is devoid of talent from the bottom up. Huberdeau was never billed as a Crosby who can do everything himself. He has always been known as a playmaker with great hockey sense. He's not going to score many goal being partnered with the likes of Kopecky and Goc. He's been with Bjugstad for 4 games now? And he's played better and has had more chances with him.

Huberdeau was never supposed to be Stamkos and score 60 goals

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Of course I couldn't name one. That was the point of my comment. It's never happened before. Did that mean that we are somehow cursed to never have a star player on this team?

Let me ask you this. How many superstars single handedly turned a franchise around? This team is devoid of talent from the bottom up. Huberdeau was never billed as a Crosby who can do everything himself. He has always been known as a playmaker with great hockey sense. He's not going to score many goal being partnered with the likes of Kopecky and Goc. He's been with Bjugstad for 4 games now? And he's played better and has had more chances with him.

Huberdeau was never supposed to be Stamkos and score 60 goals

Dude, you are hilarious.

Exactly, LOL. That right there is the fallacy in your argument, dude.

I never said that we are "somehow cursed to never have a star player on this team".

Those are your words, man. You're the one jumping to those conclusions.

You keep attributing that to me like I actually wrote that or argued that position, but that's all coming from you.

And then you go on to say...haha...I don't know where you got this from...you say that I think Huberdeau was supposed to be billed as the next Crosby?

You are making up all these arguments and attributing them to me. That's what makes you the straw man, dude!

"The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position."

Oh, and by the way...I don't know how many games you've watched this season, but Huberdeau has played more than 4 games with Bjugstad. LOL. He's played more games with Bjugstad than he did Kopecky and Goc. The move to Kopecky and Goc was because he wasn't producing with Bjugstad. And to be honest he still hasn't put the puck in the net in these past 4 games anyway, but he has been playing better.

And if you expect me to go through the history of the NHL and tell you how many time superstars have single handedly turned a franchise around... you're entirely missing my point in the first place and that's just straying it further away from what my point was. It's quite remarkable man.

I never said "Huberdeau is going to take us to the promised land alone". Where are you getting this stuff from? Can you please show me where I've said any of this stuff? I can't wait to see what you're going to say next...

At this point I don't know why i'm even going to try explain this again because you haven't understood it yet, but I'll try:

I'm worried Huberdeau may not be the offensive allstar we thought he would be when we drafted him because for a season and half he has been unproductive offensively. I'm wondering if any of you are feeling the same way or if you guys still think he will become that offensive stud he was projected to be?

Last edited:

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Holy **** dude, overally defensive much?

Show me where I was calling you out for saying Huby was supposed to be a superstar. Even though you were the one who even brought up the word superstar when you responded to my first post...

That doesn't change the fact that the among the bulk of posters here who are having their doubts about Huberdeau, the idea of him being a bust has been thrown around a bit. Sorry if I think it's a bit unfair to call him a disappointment when the team as a whole has been mostly garbage. I can't wait for Barkov to have a slump sometime soon so we can read more posters cry about MacKinnon...

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

i think couldnt skate all summer sums it up perfectly... this quote doesnt help your argument... summer is the only time these athletes have to develope physically and gain strength... if he couldnt skate all summer how is he supposed to build his lower half? the offseason is crucial for young players and if he cant work his lower body properly, when he clearly needs to, that is a huge disadvantage!!!!
we havent had a prospect ever like huby... he thinks the game on a different level than anyone weve had so to compare past prospects to him is apples and oranges... he is smart enough to make adjustments and figure it out... combine that with a proper off season of heavy training like he needs and i have no doubts he will bounce back next year... i dont see an offensive superstar or whatever u wanna call it but i do see a 25-30 goal 60-70 point player... which is damn fine if u ask me

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
i think couldnt skate all summer sums it up perfectly... this quote doesnt help your argument... summer is the only time these athletes have to develope physically and gain strength... if he couldnt skate all summer how is he supposed to build his lower half? the offseason is crucial for young players and if he cant work his lower body properly, when he clearly needs to, that is a huge disadvantage!!!!
we havent had a prospect ever like huby... he thinks the game on a different level than anyone weve had so to compare past prospects to him is apples and oranges... he is smart enough to make adjustments and figure it out... combine that with a proper off season of heavy training like he needs and i have no doubts he will bounce back next year... i dont see an offensive superstar or whatever u wanna call it but i do see a 25-30 goal 60-70 point player... which is damn fine if u ask me

Remember "all summer" meant he didn't actually skate until the last preseason game.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

Or your definition of grooming.

StBaldricks-325-031111.jpg

:sarcasm:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Chicago has groomed some pretty good young guys with Kane and Toews. So have the Islanders with Tavares. Phil Kessel has turned things around. We can even go backwards and look at Joe Thornton. The list is endless really...just look at teams with players that can put the puck in the net.

But the list is so long let's bring it closer to home and look at our Florida Bro's.

Look how Lecavalier turned out in comparison to our Victor Kozlov. Look at Stamkos. Look at St. Louis.

Now, what offensive all star game player in this league have the Panthers churned out in the last 20 years?

I know Tallon wasn't around then, but this organization has never - and has still yet to prove - that it can groom top of the line NHL all star level offensive talent. So when I'm seeing Huberdeau going through slumps this bad, 1 goal in 27 games, that is worrisome. I get worried that the guy I thought was finally our offensive firepower this organization has never cultivated may not be him.

how many times have florida actually drafted topx a year when there was a sure-fire #xs?

florida have drafted high in mediocre drafts outside of last years where we got barkov. if we got tavares, i dont think he would have been worse than he is now

florida has been **** developping, but did boston or leafs "create" kessel? bruins or sharks create thornton?

i think we have picked wrong, but i dont think the lack of elite talent in the history of the franchise is a bigger reason than bad grooming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad