Jonathan Huberdeau or Sean Couturier

Jonathan Huberdeau or Sean Couturier

• Jonathan Huberdeau

• Sean Couturier

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
there are 550 active roster slots in the nhl. so that would mean most of the NHL is NOT on pace for 35 points. As always, your arguments are disingenuous at best.

Really? I wasn't aware that goaltenders and half the defensemen were expected to score 35 points a season. Once again, you skew the numbers to attempt to make your point valid.

Edit: approximately 26% of defensemen are pacing for 35 points. 51% of forwards are pacing for 35 points. Ohh and a whopping 0% of goalies are pacing for 35 points.

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Really? I wasn't aware that goaltenders and half the defensemen were expected to score 35 points a season. Once again, you skew the numbers to attempt to make your point valid.

Edit: approximately 26% of defensemen are pacing for 35 points. 51% of forwards are pacing for 35 points. Ohh and a whopping 0% of goalies are pacing for 35 points.
Learn to math. 12 forwards plus 6 defenseman is 18 skaters per team. 18x 31 is 558. Like I said. Your arguments are disingenuous at best.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
At ES...points at 41-38 so pretty much a wash
Defensive, we know Couts is better
On the PP is where Huberdeau has his huge edge: 24 vs 8
On the PK, it's the opposite. Hubs has played 1:28 total. Not a PKer.

Last year, both players had 58 ES points...again, the gap in pts in the PP(34 vs17)
2 years ago ES points were 62-60 for Couts

So at ES, same type of production but Selke level defense with Couts, edge Couts
On the PP, big edge Hubs
On the PK, big edge Couts

I dont know how big of an edge the PK really is for Couts in the sense that I dont think that matters all that much. Couturier is better defensively all around obviously but for the PK I would rather have the extra 30+ points and a fourth liner signed to kill penalties.

It might even make sense to build a team more around Courturier but honestly the offensive gap is way too big here for Courturiers defense to make up that gap

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I dont know how big of an edge the PK really is for Couts in the sense that I dont think that matters all that much. Couturier is better defensively all around obviously but for the PK I would rather have the extra 30+ points and a fourth liner signed to kill penalties.

It might even make sense to build a team more around Courturier but honestly the offensive gap is way too big here for Courturiers defense to make up that gap
So you would rather a better PP guy, than a better ES player and better PKer.

That's your choice.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Was Couturier always projected to play this kind of Selke-level defense? I'm probably just foggy after all this time, but I thought he was rated high (talked about potentially going 1st overall) because of his offensive ability.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Learn to math. 12 forwards plus 6 defenseman is 18 skaters per team. 18x 31 is 558. Like I said. Your arguments are disingenuous at best.

Nice! You can do math congrats. But as I posted, 51% of forwards in the NHL are on pace for 35 points.

But furthermore all this really does is take away from the fact that you don't really have any other arguments in this thread. All Panthers fans point out is point totals. But not even the entire story of point totals. As they are within 5 points ES, yet the difference is PP points/usage.

So do you mean disingenuous by getting a few meaningless numbers wrong, or disingenuous by picking out 1 statistic (out of many) or ignoring the detail of that statistic in your argument?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Was Couturier always projected to play this kind of Selke-level defense? I'm probably just foggy after all this time, but I thought he was rated high (talked about potentially going 1st overall) because of his offensive ability.
I don't know if there are many guys drafted who are expected to be Selke level players because defense is such an afterthought in junior hockey but yes, his two way game was always one of his main attributes. He said he tried to model his game to be a hybrid between Eric and Jordan Staal where he would have the offensive skills of Eric and defensive ability of Jordan.

NHL Central Scouting's Chris Bordeleau: "At his size, he'll be hard to pass up in the draft. He possesses a very good work ethic and he's out there for every important faceoff. He's very responsible in the defensive aspect of the game -- a rare quality for such a young player in junior hockey."

NHL Central Scouting's Chris Edwards: "Sean has excellent puckhandling and playmaking ability; he sees the ice and reads the play very well . . . He's extremely smart and gets himself into good scoring position. He plays a solid two-way game and is very responsible defensively."

Tampa Bay Lightning Head Coach Guy Boucher:
"You don't take the puck off of him. He's a big center who wins the faceoffs and is extremely reliable defensively. When he was 16, I had to push him to go offense because he wanted to be so reliable defensively. He has great vision and is slowly building up his speed ... he's going to be a terrific NHL player."

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Nice! You can do math congrats. But as I posted, 51% of forwards in the NHL are on pace for 35 points.

But furthermore all this really does is take away from the fact that you don't really have any other arguments in this thread. All Panthers fans point out is point totals. But not even the entire story of point totals. As they are within 5 points ES, yet the difference is PP points/usage.

So do you mean disingenuous by getting a few meaningless numbers wrong, or disingenuous by picking out 1 statistic (out of many) or ignoring the detail of that statistic in your argument?
Because the gap on offense is massive. Couturier has the advantage on defense and that gap is quite large. The question becomes which gap is bigger/means more? The 30ish point gap on offense or the large gap on defense. I’ll take the 30+ extra points. by your own math, the difference in offense between the two players is the offensive output of 49% of the forwards in the NHL.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
So you would rather a better PP guy, than a better ES player and better PKer.

That's your choice.

Youre gonna have better luck finding a guy to PK than you are to find a guy to score on the PP like Huberdeau does though. I really dont think Courturiers PK/defensive ability is the difference of 30-40 points potentially.

Its not just a better PP guy, its a guy who is potentially in on 40 more goals than the other. Thats enough to take a team from around tenth in the league in goals for to 1 or 2. Thats a significant difference no matter how much more one can PK over the other. At the end of the day the hardest thing to do in the NHL is produce goals and points

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Youre gonna have better luck finding a guy to PK than you are to find a guy to score on the PP like Huberdeau does though. I really dont think Courturiers PK/defensive ability is the difference of 30-40 points potentially.

Its not just a better PP guy, its a guy who is potentially in on 40 more goals than the other. Thats enough to take a team from around tenth in the league in goals for to 1 or 2. Thats a significant difference no matter how much more one can PK over the other. At the end of the day the hardest thing to do in the NHL is produce goals and points

It's not really an additional 40 goals to your team though. Couturier isn't playing prime PP minutes on the 1st unit like Huberdeau and no doubt he would get more points if he did. And there's only one puck to go around on the PP, so adding Huberdeau and giving him that role on the PP is going to take points away from others already on the team. PP is also hugely about chemistry and system, so even adding a great PP player doesn't necessarily mean the PP is going to score many more goals, even if that player gets his points. It would probably be more like 10-20 goals.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It's not really an additional 40 goals to your team though. Couturier isn't playing prime PP minutes on the 1st unit like Huberdeau and no doubt he would get more points if he did. And there's only one puck to go around on the PP, so adding Huberdeau and giving him that role on the PP is going to take points away from others already on the team. PP is also hugely about chemistry and system, so even adding a great PP player doesn't necessarily mean the PP is going to score many more goals, even if that player gets his points. It would probably be more like 10-20 goals.

And that could easily be the difference between getting in the playoffs or just missing out.
We also have a top 5 offense is terms of depth with 7 guys in double digit goals.
We're not solely relying on the top 5 PP, we score 5 on 5 pretty good as well, 5th in the league and that's with 2-3 of the other teams having played 1 or 2 more games.
Guess who's a big reason why we succeed both 5 on 5 and on the PP, it's Huberdeau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad