TSN: Jonathan Huberdeau added to trade board

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
You just said it right there, IF Tallon is given one more year. If he has Panarin and Bob signed, he'll get one more year for sure.
Get out of your head that this move would be for this season, it isn't. It's to secure assets and improve the team for next year. So you can get Bob and Panarin and still sell-off the spare parts.

I'm not saying it's a good idea or something Tallon will/want to do. Just that it's a possibility if his job depends on him bringing in Panarin and Bob.

Where did I say that this move is for this year? Everything that happens from here on out is strictly for next season. I even said it with a rant thread of mine I started a few weeks back. If it’s about next season, why give away a piece (Huberdeau) that would help us next season, for players we can get in the off-season? If it’s for “spare parts,” the. Yeah, I’m all for it.

And I don’t think Tallon would still be around at the moment, or allowed to make the Bjugstad trade, if he wasn’t given one more year.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Where did I say that this move is for this year? Everything that happens from here on out is strictly for next season. I even said it with a rant thread of mine I started a few weeks back. If it’s about next season, why give away a piece (Huberdeau) that would help us next season, for players we can get in the off-season? If it’s for “spare parts,” the. Yeah, I’m all for it.

And I don’t think Tallon would still be around at the moment, or allowed to make the Bjugstad trade, if he wasn’t given one more year.

Where did I say that this move is for this year?
Here, you are arguing that we shouldn't bring Bob and Panarin this season because the playoffs are not a realistic possibility.
**I cant see him making that type of move when the playoffs seem realistically unlikely.**

If it’s about next season, why give away a piece (Huberdeau) that would help us next season, for players we can get in the off-season?

Because, if you do a sign and trade, you are **certain** to have these players for next year. If you wait until they are UFA, they can sign anywhere else.

I see no reason to believe that. Bjugstad was getting more expensive than his cap hit so it's not surprising that he's gone. It also clears up cap space.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Unless Huby asked to be traded. If Huby was traded without asking for one, I would be 100% convinced that ownership is still pulling the strings behind the scenes. Even after they made a big show of "putting Tallon back in charge".

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Here, you are arguing that we shouldn't bring Bob and Panarin this season because the playoffs are not a realistic possibility.

Your interpretation of what I am saying is wrong. Im saying that since the playoffs are unlikely, there is no point using assets for pieces that we can get for free in the offseason. How is that interpreted as if I think this move is for this season?

Again, go read my rant thread a few weeks back on the Panthers board, and how I believe this offseason is the most important in the teams history.

Because, if you do a sign and trade, you are **certain** to have these players for next year. If you wait until they are UFA, they can sign anywhere else.

Then they sign elsewhere. There are other options available. With as much as $34 million in cap space available, along with draft picks, players and prospects available for trade, Tallon can plan multiple scenarios for the offseason. No reason to trade a huge asset like Huberdeau now, as if Panarin and Bob are the ONLY option available. Im all for getting Bob and Panarin now, but not at the expense of Huberdeau.

I see no reason to believe that. Bjugstad was getting more expensive than his cap hit so it's not surprising that he's gone. It also clears up cap space.

Given the way the ownership has acted already, Tallon would have been gone if he wasnt given the offseason and at least the start of the next season. And he speaks as if he they have given him no indication that they are letting him go. I seriously doubt there is no conversations between ownership and management, that would just be bad business. I doubt it even more since Viola has moved to South Florida, where he is in closer contact with the team.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
The best insider when it comes to Panthers info is saying that Huberdeau isn't being shopped. The trade rumors are speculation not actual rumors.
Also said there have been no talks with clbs about trading for panarin bob. Huby isn’t going anywhere unless for a young top4 rd. Tallon will pursue bob and panarin aggressively in fa like he said. They are not trading for ufas. Pretty basic

Reactions: Beezeral

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Your interpretation of what I am saying is wrong. Im saying that since the playoffs are unlikely, there is no point using assets for pieces that we can get for free in the offseason. How is that interpreted as if I think this move is for this season?
Again, go read my rant thread a few weeks back on the Panthers board, and how I believe this offseason is the most important in the teams history.
Then they sign elsewhere. There are other options available. With as much as $34 million in cap space available, along with draft picks, players and prospects available for trade, Tallon can plan multiple scenarios for the offseason. No reason to trade a huge asset like Huberdeau now, as if Panarin and Bob are the ONLY option available. Im all for getting Bob and Panarin now, but not at the expense of Huberdeau.
Given the way the ownership has acted already, Tallon would have been gone if he wasnt given the offseason and at least the start of the next season. And he speaks as if he they have given him no indication that they are letting him go. I seriously doubt there is no conversations between ownership and management, that would just be bad business. I doubt it even more since Viola has moved to South Florida, where he is in closer contact with the team.
What?? Even in your defense of you not looking at this trade for this season, you talk about the effect of this trade on this season...you can't make this up. Stop thinking about this trade for this season and think about it securing players for the future.

Yeah, and those can fall through as well. Now "the most important offseason in team history" is a big flop.

Whatever, if you can't see why Tallon would trade good assets to secure better assets when his ass is possibly on the line, there's nothing more to say.

Jul 6, 2016
Huberdeau could be traded, but Panarin has to come the other way and sign a new contract.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
UFA won't sign there if they trade their top player.

I would not say that Huberdeau is their best player. For me that is Barkov by a fair bit. Huberdeau is essentially on the same level as Nugent-Hopkins but is a winger. BUt the premise of the thread is that Huberdeau might be available to clear up salary space to sign Panarin and Bob as a tandem. That is why my deal was futures and why it included Reimer as an add on. Moving Reimer not only frees up over $3M for two years but it also opens up a spot in goal. That would leave Luongo as a very cheap (salary wise) experienced back-up.

I am fully aware that it is unlikely that Huberdeau is traded. But under the scenario that prompted the thread futures or plyers on their ELC make the most sense.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
They have the cap space already to sign both. They have $24.5 million in space when the cap goes up, and with certain moves, they can get an additional $10 million.

The only reason Tallon might have done it now is if we got closer to a WC spot, and he wanted those two now to make a run. If both of those stay with Columbus past the deadline, I can see Tallon moving a high pick, not first rounder, to get their rights.

That's fine. I am not going to debate that they could or could not afford to do this without moving Huberdeau. But the premise being presented in the media was that moving Huberdeau was about opening up salary (not cap space) to pay Bob and Panarin. The combined cap hit for the two next year could be in the $15-18*M range. But if both are looking for long front loaded deals the salary in the first few years could easily be north of $20M.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
BINED CAP HIT FOR THE TWO NEXT YEAR
At least offer Larsson as a base then?

That would not make sense for the Oilers. So if Larsson was a requirement then it would be some other team in the mix which is perfectly fine. The Oilers can offer a decent package of futures now or in the off season if Florida's main goal is to shed salary, but cannot afford to weaken their defense.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
BINED CAP HIT FOR THE TWO NEXT YEAR

That would not make sense for the Oilers. So if Larsson was a requirement then it would be some other team in the mix which is perfectly fine. The Oilers can offer a decent package of futures now or in the off season if Florida's main goal is to shed salary, but cannot afford to weaken their defense.

Ya I can understand. Dont think we make good trading partners.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
What?? Even in your defense of you not looking at this trade for this season, you talk about the effect of this trade on this season...you can't make this up. Stop thinking about this trade for this season and think about it securing players for the future

Cant make what up? Im looking at the offseason and beyond, not trying to make moves for this season. Yes, moving Huberdeau for a Panarin/Bob combo is for the future, I agree with that, I just dont want to give up Huberdeau for them. It has nothing to do with this season.

Yeah, and those can fall through as well. Now "the most important offseason in team history" is a big flop.

That is your opinion. When this team is in the position it is now, with the players on the team entering their prime, with up to $34 million in cap space available, with picks and prospects available to make upgrades, and with a looming opt out option of their lease in 2023...yeah, I would think this offseason is pretty important for the teams survival in South Florida.

Whatever, if you can't see why Tallon would trade good assets to secure better assets when his ass is possibly on the line, there's nothing more to say.

I love the "whatever" comments. I get that from my girlfriend when she doesnt agree with me. Very childish.

I dont see it. I dont see the need to trade Huberdeau for two players we can get in five months from now. We can easily sign them both in the offseason in need be, or sign one in the offseason, or sign neither in the offseason. We can sign Bobrovsky only, sign Stone, and call it a day. We can sign Bobrovsky, use our assets to add a top four Dman, and use the rest of our cap space not only to re-sign Dadonov and Hoffman, but to also fill out the bottom six. We have SO many options in the offseason, so why jump the gun and trade away our top line LWer? Why not explore those options before acting prematurely. Your only answer is because Tallon's ass is on the line. If you think its wise other than that, then "there's nothing more to say."

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
That's fine. I am not going to debate that they could or could not afford to do this without moving Huberdeau. But the premise being presented in the media was that moving Huberdeau was about opening up salary (not cap space) to pay Bob and Panarin. The combined cap hit for the two next year could be in the $15-18*M range. But if both are looking for long front loaded deals the salary in the first few years could easily be north of $20M.

The premise of the Bjugstad trade was to clear space. That is what was reported by everyone, and that came from Tallon himself. The Huberdeau news is from a so-called expert suggesting him (per the most recent The Atlantic article):

When Bjugstad was traded to Pittsburgh along with Jared McCann for Derick Brassard, Riley Sheahan and three draft picks, Tallon not only cleared money off next year’s salary (to make a run at Panarin and/or Bobrovsky?), he also acquired more tradable assets.

On Monday, Frank Seravalli added Huberdeau’s name to the TSN ‘Trade Bait Board’ as he speculated the Panthers could use the talented winger as part of a potential blockbuster deadline deal with the Blue Jackets for both Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky.

The Panthers are not shopping Huberdeau and, according to a source within the organization, are not currently talking to the Jackets about either of their high-profile pending free agents.

Would the Panthers like to have one of those players? Yes.

Would they love to have both of them? Absolutely.

And it may just take the likes of a Huberdeau to make such a deal by the deadline — although it’s extremely plausible (and even likely) the Panthers just end up selling some of their own free agents come Feb. 25 and wait until the offseason to try to land Columbus’ big fish.

Reactions: drktmplr12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad