Value of: Jonathan Drouin

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Not sure why people are freaking out on JD playing with Suzuki and Anderson. JD was playing well with Suzuki and if it doesn't work well we actually now have options to move him up and down the line up.
if you are not sure why people are freaking out, I have to ask have you seen Jonathan Drouin play ?

lazy, defensive liability, one dimensional parasitic winger. and you want to tie our best young center to that ? for what ? do get drouin going at suzuki's expense ?

and the second part, the evidence is in. because of these attributes, Drouin lacks the skills and temperment to play in the bottom 6.

so we just keep enabling his inability to carry his own weight by giving him linemates he WONT help and in most cases does not deserve. and when ( like in the past) that doesnt work out, we blame his linemates for not sacrificing more so that Drouin can be more productive.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
if you are not sure why people are freaking out, I have to ask have you seen Jonathan Drouin play ?

lazy, defensive liability, one dimensional parasitic winger. and you want to tie our best young center to that ? for what ? do get drouin going at suzuki's expense ?

and the second part, the evidence is in. because of these attributes, Drouin lacks the skills and temperment to play in the bottom 6.

so we just keep enabling his inability to carry his own weight by giving him linemates he WONT help and in most cases does not deserve. and when ( like in the past) that doesnt work out, we blame his linemates for not sacrificing more so that Drouin can be more productive.
As a Hab’s fan would you say Drouin has the God given gifts to be a valuable top six player, but is lacking the character to apply those gifts to the level needed to be the player he could be?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Absolutely. Because we are the Montreal Canadiens and have a strict francophone representation PR policy.

Jonathan Drouin sells burgers. A true 1st line player for McDonald's Canada. He's also a hoot at kids events organized by the Habs, they all know and love him for some reason.

Phil Danault? Meh. On a much, much lesser level. Bergevin has already come clean, he said getting Drouin was a pure PR move. Sergachev was the cost.

Embrace it, we have internal restrictions. Whatcha gonna do about it? Whine some more?

We pay the guy upwards of 5M a year. As if we're gonna just throw him on the 4th line... nah. RDS and TVA wouldn't be happy, you'd have dedicated segments to Drouin.

Molson and Bergevin are both extremely risk averse when it comes to PR. Last year, Molson's big innovation was new female sportswear FFS.

Unless they can trade Drouin and get a PR-equivalent like Beauvillier (ain't gonna happen), Ti-Jo is here to stay to appease the province. "Someone they can be proud of".

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
As a Hab’s fan would you say Drouin has the God given gifts to be a valuable top six player, but is lacking the character to apply those gifts to the level needed to be the player he could be?
Gifts is hard to parse, he certainly would do great in a skills competition, but when time and space are reduced he consistently makes poor decisions. Add to that his abject unwillingness to play in his own end and his lack of effort are both very real knocks on him. people see him as some sort of maligned savant, oulled down by his linemates. I see him for what he is, an anchor that pulls down any line he is on

I cannot think of another player of his stature in the league who still thinks that the moves he did in junior will work in the nhl. he's had YEARS of experience that they don't, but that has never stopped him.

At some point the coddling of " potential unrealized" has to stop, no ?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Gifts is hard to parse, he certainly would do great in a skills competition, but when time and space are reduced he consistently makes poor decisions. Add to that his abject unwillingness to play in his own end and his lack of effort are both very real knocks on him. people see him as some sort of maligned savant, oulled down by his linemates. I see him for what he is, an anchor that pulls down any line he is on

I cannot think of another player of his stature in the league who still thinks that the moves he did in junior will work in the nhl. he's had YEARS of experience that they don't, but that has never stopped him.

At some point the coddling of " potential unrealized" has to stop, no ?
Sounds like my team’s (Vancouver) Jake Virtanen. Million dollar gifts, but not the internal motivation compete.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa

Drouin is pretty one dimensional but he doesn't lack the skill to be a top 6er, not at all. In fact I think he's wasted on the bottom 6. He's not a perfect player but he belongs in a offensive role.

Reactions: malcb33

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Drouin is pretty one dimensional but he doesn't lack the skill to be a top 6er, not at all. In fact I think he's wasted on the bottom 6. He's not a perfect player but he belongs in a offensive role.
An offensive role where he always, and I mean always, lives off his linemates?

What the he'll has he done ( and his draft position no longer counts) to deserve to play top 6 no matter how much he sucks?

The answer is nothing. He's great living off his inmates, and when he isn't he is an anchor for his linemates.

He's NEVER made his linemates better. Ever.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
In the cap era, both Lucic and Drouin would easily pass through waivers. Free (AKA cap space) is definitely the most valuable thing you listed.

I actually do think Drouin is a little better than Looch but Flames are already stacked at LW, so Drouin would probably end up in a bottom 6/PP 2 role. Not really a good fit.

What are you talking about ? Drouin has value. Lucic has negative value.

"A little better". I have to assume this post is some sort of bit.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t think he’d pass through waivers simply because Nashville and Columbus cleared so much cap space to add offense and at this point they almost need to use it just to continue with their path of trying to be a competitive team.

Aside from those teams I don’t think anyone else would claim him though. Only Detroit, Florida, LA, Ottawa and NJ have the cap space. Anyone else with interest would have to send money the other way.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
An offensive role where he always, and I mean always, lives off his linemates?

What the he'll has he done ( and his draft position no longer counts) to deserve to play top 6 no matter how much he sucks?

The answer is nothing. He's great living off his inmates, and when he isn't he is an anchor for his linemates.

He's NEVER made his linemates better. Ever.

That's simply untrue, he leaves a lot to be desired, but he isn't Dwight King out there.

The story with Drouin is pretty simple: the more time he spends in the offensive zone, the better; the more time he spends in the defensive zone, the worse.

Would I rather have Sergachev? Yeah, f***ing obviously.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Absolutely. Because we are the Montreal Canadiens and have a strict francophone representation PR policy.

Jonathan Drouin sells burgers. A true 1st line player for McDonald's Canada. He's also a hoot at kids events organized by the Habs, they all know and love him for some reason.

Phil Danault? Meh. On a much, much lesser level. Bergevin has already come clean, he said getting Drouin was a pure PR move. Sergachev was the cost.

Embrace it, we have internal restrictions. Whatcha gonna do about it? Whine some more?

We pay the guy upwards of 5M a year. As if we're gonna just throw him on the 4th line... nah. RDS and TVA wouldn't be happy, you'd have dedicated segments to Drouin.

Molson and Bergevin are both extremely risk averse when it comes to PR. Last year, Molson's big innovation was new female sportswear FFS.

Unless they can trade Drouin and get a PR-equivalent like Beauvillier (ain't gonna happen), Ti-Jo is here to stay to appease the province. "Someone they can be proud of".

Blame the french. Obviously they're the problem with this team. Let's get a good anglo team with good anglo boys like they got in Trawna. Proven winners.

Yeah, that's the ticket...

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Blame the french. Obviously they're the problem with this team. Let's get a good anglo team with good anglo boys like they got in Toronna. Proven winners.

Yeah, that's the ticket...

You probably missed the presser where Bergevin outright admitted acquiring Drouin was strictly PR related. Un joueur francophone dont les fans peuvent être fiers, and all that good stuff. But hey, at first it was camouflaged as a backfill for Radulov's "departure". Completely oblivious to the fact that +Drouin, -Radulov, -Markov, -Sergachev negatively impacted both the D and the forward corps. What a great summer.

You miss Sergachev? No? Fine. A lot of us do. The company policy got us Drouin, on the basis of appeasing the fans. Especially in times with no 1C's in the pipeline, that was great work there........

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
That's simply untrue, he leaves a lot to be desired, but he isn't Dwight King out there.

The story with Drouin is pretty simple: the more time he spends in the offensive zone, the better; the more time he spends in the defensive zone, the worse.

Would I rather have Sergachev? Yeah, f***ing obviously.

showing two videos does not negate the fact that all he does is parasitize his linemates. he doesnt, he hasn't driven a line since he has been in the NHL. and when he goes into a funk, a disproportionate portion of our fanbase blames his linemates for not feeding him more.

when he struggles ( which is often) you ALWAYS have people saying. throw him onto the first line to get him going.

here's an idea ? how about he get's himself going ?

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
You probably missed the presser where Bergevin outright admitted acquiring Drouin was strictly PR related. Un joueur francophone dont les fans peuvent être fiers, and all that good stuff. But hey, at first it was camouflaged as a backfill for Radulov's "departure". Completely oblivious to the fact that +Drouin, -Radulov, -Markov, -Sergachev negatively impacted both the D and the forward corps. What a great summer.

You miss Sergachev? No? Fine. A lot of us do. The company policy got us Drouin, on the basis of appeasing the fans. Especially in times with no 1C's in the pipeline, that was great work there........

I did miss that. Please show me exactly when and how he said this...

Because obviously the ONLY reason the Montréal Canadiens could EVER have a francophone as part of their organization is for PR reasons. We all know that all francophones are really bad at hockey, right?

Reactions: jfhabs

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I did miss that. Please show me exactly when and how he said this...

Because obviously the ONLY reason the Montréal Canadiens could EVER have a francophone as part of their organization is for PR reasons. We all know that all francophones are really bad at hockey, right?

The 'rapatrier un Québécois était important' quote is common knowledge on the Habs board. It's almost a year old at this point, that was Feb 2020. Not sure how much you follow the team...

Yes to your first question. Your second question is so far beside the point, and implies I somehow said that. Laughable.

Marc Bergevin: la transparence du DG

À Jonathan Drouin de faire oublier Mikhail Sergachev

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Keep it realistic please...

Habs looking for a solid two-way LWer or LD...or a good pick

Remember, keep it respectable and realistic
Keep it realistic please...

Habs looking for a solid two-way LWer or LD...or a good pick

Remember, keep it respectable and realistic

hilarious that people questioned if Drouin carried Ehlers in junior woth Halifax. Seems more like Ehlers carried Drouin.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
showing two videos does not negate the fact that all he does is parasitize his linemates. he doesnt, he hasn't driven a line since he has been in the NHL. and when he goes into a funk, a disproportionate portion of our fanbase blames his linemates for not feeding him more.

when he struggles ( which is often) you ALWAYS have people saying. throw him onto the first line to get him going.

here's an idea ? how about he get's himself going ?

Where in the f*** are you getting this? What a crock of shit. The fanbase largely hates Drouin and shits on him all the time.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Where in the f*** are you getting this? What a crock of shit. The fanbase largely hates Drouin and shits on him all the time.
Yeah all of the fantasy hates him the same way they ALL hated desharnais.

In THIS very thread there are people who continue to say that he has to play top 6 with better inmates to get him going.

When he doesn't get going, who bears the brunt? Not his lazy one dimensional ass, it's the fault of his linemates.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
This thread is ridiculous. No hockey fan I know from Montreal hate Drouin, there's certainly unmet expectations, but man this 'hate' wagon is cringy.

Reactions: KapG

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
This thread is ridiculous. No hockey fan I know from Montreal hate Drouin, there's certainly unmet expectations, but man this 'hate' wagon is cringy.

I don't believe we have met.

I hate jonathan drouin because he's lazy and entitled and coddled by the team and has yet to show that he can pull his own weight on a line. ANY line. when he gets into a funk, he is however a great anchor. And this has NOTHING to do with Sergachev. it has to do with effort and commitment and his abject lack of hockey sense. when things are not going his way he sulks and then the fan base claims its his teamates that are at fault.

would he clear waivers ? no. Is he a net asset to the team ? meh

If you do NOT think that the team coddles him, we acquired him to play a position that he HAD NOT played at the NHL level where he was, without question, the worst 1C in the league.
chance after chance after chance to force a round peg into a square hole. That lack of accountability persists to this day.

Reactions: Runner77

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I wonder if the Kings could do something with him. We have some great vet centers (Kopitar and Carter), and a lot of young, high-flying centers coming up to center a guy like that. And we have a decent history with francophone wingers.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Looking at potential vs return, he's not for sale.

With a projected 1st line of Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson/Toffoli, he'll be in a prime position to show his skills, while not having all of the focus on him. Habs would be absolutely foolish to trade Drouin for a pick that moves around a 2nd to a 4th round, when he can realisticly target 75-80 points if he shows consistency and is injury free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad