Value of: Jonathan Drouin

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Oh lord, more guys that Habs don't need from the Avs for Drouin proposals.

I'm FAR from a Drouin fan, but its ridiculous to think Bergevin would move him for a deal around Jost or Zadorov.

Without getting into anything else, the idea that Drouin doesn't try or that he is a problem in the room seems like a strange thought to have. If he was, Bergevin would have never acquired him or would have traded him years ago.

Locker room chemistry and effort are literally the most important things to Bergevin. All of the team mantras while he's been in charge revolve around ideas of effort and fit. Its the reason he traded Subban for Weber, its why he traded Galchenyuk for Domi, its involved in every trade or signing decision he makes.

The shortcomings in Drouin's game are real, but I'm skeptical its a locker room or effort thing. Bergevin and Julien typically don't put up with guys like that. Its far more likely its market pressure, poor team fit or that his game just adapted to the NHL poorly.

Who knows better the locker rooms than. the players themselves... he doesn't seem like a "bad" teammate, but wow does he ever coast around the ice when he doesn't have the puck. You can see that when he turns on the jets, he's probably the fastest Habs out there, but how often does he turns them on? Hence why it really looks like he's lacking effort sometimes.

His value being down the drain rn it's very unlikely that we move from him, unless he's seen as trouble in the rooms, which he's probably not. We really need the flashes he's shown, but how do we bring it out of him more often?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I am a fan of Avs and I remain convinced that Drouin would be a perfect fit on our 2nd line see even the 1st. far from the pressure from Montreal I'm sure Drouin will explode, on the other hand MB will have difficulty in exchanging him because as he gave a lot in Sergachev he will want a very good comeback (1st round +) which few teams will want to give.
1st choice + Beaucage or Zhuravlyov
for Drouin
Yikes, Drouin doesn’t have nearly that much value. He isn’t getting a 1st rounder alone, let alone adding good prospects.

It’s in Montreal’s best interest to keep him.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Yikes, Drouin doesn’t have nearly that much value. He isn’t getting a 1st rounder alone, let alone adding good prospects.

I mean, you look at which players were traded for late first round picks in the past 4-5 years and it’s hard to argue that Drouin isn’t worth at least that.

That being said, I do agree with the bolded. We’ll live through Drouin contract and reassess after that.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

With all the players that have been traded for at least a 1sr rounder the last few years do you really think Montreal couldn’t get at least a 1st rounder? He’s only 25.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
With all the players that have been traded for at least a 1sr rounder the last few years do you really think Montreal couldn’t get at least a 1st rounder? He’s only 25.

Drouin is a detriment to his team for what, a third of the season? Half? He's expensive and he can go stretches - long ones - where he's the worst player on the ice. Who is gonna give a 1st for that? If they do, Habs should jump on it, because it would be a huge mistake. Addition by subtraction and subtraction by addition.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I mean, you look at which players were traded for late first round picks in the past 4-5 years and it’s hard to argue that Drouin isn’t worth at least that.

That being said, I do agree with the bolded. We’ll live through Drouin contract and reassess after that.

Bad contracts don’t get traded for 1st round picks and you guys all know that. You see guys like Coleman fetching 1sts because he brings value on a cheap ticket which allows cap strapped teams like Tampa to get better. With a projected 3 year flat cap you aren’t going to see any teams give up 1st rounders for a soft, one dimensional 40-50 point winger who makes almost 6M a year. That’s lunacy.

Reactions: Richard88

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Bad contracts don’t get traded for 1st round picks and you guys all know that. You see guys like Coleman fetching 1sts because he brings value on a cheap ticket which allows cap strapped teams like Tampa to get better. With a projected 3 year flat cap you aren’t going to see any teams give up 1st rounders for a soft, one dimensional 40-50 point winger who makes almost 6M a year. That’s lunacy.
I'm pretty sure that a 45-55 pt winger like Drouin could get a 1st easily.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Just some metrics to spice up the discussion a bit...

As shown below, with Drouin on the ice Montreal create 9% less chances with him than without him at 5v5.

Montreal also concedes 8% more with him on the ice at 5v5 than without.

upload_2020-8-5_0-35-49.png

upload_2020-8-5_0-38-30.png

Montreal create 35% less chance with him on the PP than without:

upload_2020-8-5_0-39-58.png

He also takes the 2nd highest amount of penalties on the team per 60, as shown in the graph below.

For an example of how this hurts his team, recall that he took an unnecessary penalty in Game 1 against Pittsburgh when Montreal were 2-0 up, and Pittsburgh scored on the ensuing PP on their way to tying the game up. Though he also draws plenty of penalties I don't think this volatility endears him very much with coaches as it basically limits how much they can trust him in important situations.

upload_2020-8-5_0-41-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-5_0-39-35.png
    upload_2020-8-5_0-39-35.png
    78 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
How many bottom 6 forwards put up 50+ points? You are so out of touch... I am not sure if it’s because if your irrational hate for the Habs and its fans Or because of the previous and absurd Jost + Zadorov +2nd for Danault threaders... Either way, 50+ point players are top6 forwards period.

And dude, no one - and i mean no team - would have any interest in Jost!! LOL

Drouin isn’t a guaranteed 50 point player by any stretch. He’s a bad 2nd liner on a bad team getting more PP time than his limited abilities merit and playing with guys like Suzuki that are better than he is. On a team with more forward talent than the Habs (most nhl teams) Drouin is a bottom six player that barely sniffs PP ice time or gets to skate with top 6 players. Then you get your 34 points and 12 goals for 5.5mm AAV. It’s a garbage contract.

Keep him in Montreal where he can dope around on the second line making less impact on winning hockey as some of you guys pretend he's still got upside due to perigee or some such nonsense. A lousy team like San Jose may give up a pick for him but a good team? He’s a negative asset at that AAV.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Drouin isn’t a guaranteed 50 point player by any stretch. He’s a bad 2nd liner on a bad team getting more PP time than his limited abilities merit and playing with guys like Suzuki that are better than he is. On a team with more forward talent than the Habs (most nhl teams) Drouin is a bottom six player that barely sniffs PP ice time or gets to skate with top 6 players. Then you get your 34 points and 12 goals for 5.5mm AAV. It’s a garbage contract.

Keep him in Montreal where he can dope around on the second line making less impact on winning hockey as some of you guys pretend he's still got upside due to perigee or some such nonsense. A lousy team like San Jose may give up a pick for him but a good team? He’s a negative asset at that AAV.

In the past 4 years he averaged 53 points. He is a consistent 50+ point player since being a full time nhl’er. If you need help with that math I understand and pm me - I would be happy to walk you through the calculation.

Quite happy to hold onto Drouin than toss him away for the filth Avs fans offer. Which by the way is puzzling why Avs fans trash him yet make offers for him and discuss him on your boards. Strange!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Oh lord, more guys that Habs don't need from the Avs for Drouin proposals.

I'm FAR from a Drouin fan, but its ridiculous to think Bergevin would move him for a deal around Jost or Zadorov.

Without getting into anything else, the idea that Drouin doesn't try or that he is a problem in the room seems like a strange thought to have. If he was, Bergevin would have never acquired him or would have traded him years ago.

Locker room chemistry and effort are literally the most important things to Bergevin. All of the team mantras while he's been in charge revolve around ideas of effort and fit. Its the reason he traded Subban for Weber, its why he traded Galchenyuk for Domi, its involved in every trade or signing decision he makes.

The shortcomings in Drouin's game are real, but I'm skeptical its a locker room or effort thing. Bergevin and Julien typically don't put up with guys like that. Its far more likely its market pressure, poor team fit or that his game just adapted to the NHL poorly.

That's not exactly what I'm saying.

Avs are running smoothly right now and everything is going well.

Don't try to fix what isn't broken. Making a big move right now, whether it's Drouin or anyone else, can easily make things worse instead of better.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Drouin is the kind of guy who need to play beside a stud a la Mackinnon, Barkov etc. You will say. everybody will produce in playing with a stud. Yeah. But Drouin doesnt lack of effort and can hit 50 pts in playing on the 3rd line. With lehkonen.and he is a playmaker and there is no shooter here, nobody here to put the puck in the net. I wouldnt want to see him hit 70 pts with true first liner. I just dont’t’ want to trade him, when his value is low, to a club like colorado and to make a chance he will producing as hell with few all stars like mackinnon and cie

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
In the past 4 years he averaged 53 points. He is a consistent 50+ point player since being a full time nhl’er. If you need help with that math I understand and pm me - I would be happy to walk you through the calculation.

Quite happy to hold onto Drouin than toss him away for the filth Avs fans offer. Which by the way is puzzling why Avs fans trash him yet make offers for him and discuss him on your boards. Strange!

Drouin, on a lottery team, scored 46, 53 and 15 points over the past three seasons. All three with Montreal. He scored a whopping 13 goals, 18 goals and 7 goals. He registered a -28, -6 and -8 those seasons. He played like crap coming off his major injury this past season and Sportsnet just called out his poor game 1 effort. He’s -51 on his career. He’s a negative Fenwick and Corsi relative to his teammates. Another fan demonstrated his poor analytics relative to other Habs, a team that’s missed the playoffs in all three years he’s been there so it’s not like he’s being overshadowed by a juggernaut of studs. Drouin is a negative value asset at his AAV on any good team where he’ll be be relegated a bottom six role he so much deserves. I wouldn’t trade a 7th rounder for him because he’s a waste of cap space. You don’t trade assets of any kind for a bad contract when you’re a contender.

You should absolutely hold onto him and let him drag down his line mates while taking up a chuck of cap space that won’t go to significantly better UFAs Montreal will have coming up as Petry, Danaualt, Domi(RFa), Tatar and Gallagher (what a myth it is that the Habs have cap space, they have pending cap problems galore as those are some pretty good players that will be seeking raises) need new deals and evaporate your cap space. MB has done well on some trades these past few years but he got his face absolutely ripped off by Tampa on the Serg deal.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Drouin, on a lottery team, scored 46, 53 and 15 points over the past three seasons. All three with Montreal. He scored a whopping 13 goals, 18 goals and 7 goals. He registered a -28, -6 and -8 those seasons. He played like crap coming off his major injury this past season and Sportsnet just called out his poor game 1 effort. He’s -51 on his career. He’s a negative Fenwick and Corsi relative to his teammates. Another fan demonstrated his poor analytics relative to other Habs, a team that’s missed the playoffs in all three years he’s been there so it’s not like he’s being overshadowed by a juggernaut of studs. Drouin is a negative value asset at his AAV on any good team where he’ll be be relegated a bottom six role he so much deserves. I wouldn’t trade a 7th rounder for him because he’s a waste of cap space. You don’t trade assets of any kind for a bad contract when you’re a contender.

You should absolutely hold onto him and let him drag down his line mates while taking up a chuck of cap space that won’t go to significantly better UFAs Montreal will have coming up as Petry, Danaualt, Domi(RFa), Tatar and Gallagher (what a myth it is that the Habs have cap space, they have pending cap problems galore as those are some pretty good players that will be seeking raises) need new deals and evaporate your cap space. MB has done well on some trades these past few years but he got his face absolutely ripped off by Tampa on the Serg deal.
As said before, we are happy to keep our at worst 50+ player rather than dump him for your trash like Jost/Zadorov etc.

We have plenty capspace to accommodate our players particularly with the flat cap situation. Drouin will be fine and has potential snd skill that could transform inta bargain. At worst he is a 53 point olayer...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
As said before, we are happy to keep our at worst 50+ player rather than dump him for your trash like Jost/Zadorov etc.

We have plenty capspace to accommodate our players particularly with the flat cap situation. Drouin will be fine and has potential snd skill that could transform inta bargain. At worst he is a 53 point olayer...
Jonathan Drouin: “At worst a 53 point player”.

Also Jonathan Drouin: Has never scored more than 53 points and paced 45 in his most recent season.

love the confidence.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Value is not high, especially when you factor his contract in. Probably traded for comparable cap hit coming the other way.

He is extremely talented but doesn’t seem to put the work in to improve his all around game. There hasn’t been much growth in his game, it’s not unfathomable his best days are behind him.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I’ve wanted Drouin on the Stars for a while now. Still do. What would it take? Equivalent salary would need to go the other way.

A similar aged top 4 LHD or a 18-21 years old RHD close to being NHL ready and has clear top 4 potential.

Hard to pull off though.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Its like I hopped in a time machine and reading a Sam Gagner thread "he's averaged 50 points over 82 games" "He'd be better on good team with legit wingers"
So Drouin is a little better offensively but just as bad everywhere else

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

There are some fans that will always want to get Drouin for the what if factor of their Halifax days. I just don’t see it working out unless Drouin dramatically changes his playing style. He has all the tools in the world, has amazing vision, but he plays like he is thinks he’s still in juniors against junior level talent.

Is jost+zadarov the new ryder+halak and a 2nd? lol
Habs are happy to keep Drouin end thread already

Yes, most definitely it is.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Its like I hopped in a time machine and reading a Sam Gagner thread "he's averaged 50 points over 82 games" "He'd be better on good team with legit wingers"
So Drouin is a little better offensively but just as bad everywhere else
That’s one of the most common false myths in hockey. That player x on a shit team would be more productive on a good team. It’s generally the other way around. Jonathan Drouin gets plenty of opportunity in Montreal because they’re bad. If he was traded to a good team you would see his minutes and opportunities falter which would like result in a drop off in production.

OB5

May 2, 2015
Such a frustrating player. When he's on he's insanely good. The thing is he's almost never on.

What we saw from him for the first 15 games or so this year prior to his injury was the most consistent, electric hockey I've seen him play as a Hab. He came back and was useless again, and remains useless through 3 games in this post-season.

If I was a GM I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole UNLESS I had the luxury of putting him with an insanely talented forward who could use Drouin's weaknesses to his strengths and get the talent out there. There are maybe 3-4 teams in the league that could do this. Colorado, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Florida...maybe some others with high end Cs who are great in all 3 zones that can carry Drouin but use his offensive brilliance whenever it shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad