Value of: Jonathan Drouin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Drouin’s value is certainly not that of Sergachev (young top four D) anymore. But I could see him returning a guy 26-30 who plays an important defensive role.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Has 3 years left at about 5.5 million. He scores about 40-50 pts on the Canadiens.

Anyone out there thinks their team would give more than a 2nd round pick for him?
Habs better off keeping him. He was there best player at start of season, until he got injured. His cap hit don't mean anything to Montreal. THey usually 8 million under the cap every year

Reactions: exporta

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Has 3 years left at about 5.5 million. He scores about 40-50 pts on the Canadiens.

Anyone out there thinks their team would give more than a 2nd round pick for him?
his value is really low right now , this kid is young and talented let's give him a couple more years and he'll bounce back

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Not point whatsoever to trade him for a 2nd.
Any team who can get a player as talented for a freaking 2nd would be very lucky.
His career average is 49pts/82, that's not bad considering how he's been managed so far in his career. Played on bad teams in Montreal with a bad deployment (center, linemates, play style of the team) and the situation wasn't perfect in Tampa either at the beginning of his career.
I'm confident Drouin could be a 60+ player in an environment that suits him better.

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
If Drouin can be just a pure offensive winger and not have to deal with any defensive coverage, he could be a 60-65 pt guy.
That being said, I don't see Habs trading him unless the right deal comes around (late 1st rd pick/required positional player) comes back.

Psycho Mantis

Jul 29, 2020
What is Drouin’s problem? Is it effort? Fans seem very divided on the young man.

As others have stated, Drouin’s value will vary depending on a teams situation and how GMs perceive his ability to finally put it together.

Montreal is better off keeping him because there isn’t a lot of incentive to move the guy and he is producing (while not at the rate they had hoped).

I don’t think it’s smart to move him unless other forwards push him out of the top six or if they receive an offer they can’t refuse.

Would I be willing to make a high value offer for him? Not at this time. He’s still young and hopefully he starts playing to his previously perceived potential.

I would offer a mid to late first and maybe a small add. I’d expect that isn’t enough. Anything more than that and I’d probably regret it later. Anything less than that probably seems insulting.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Maybe Buffalo would be interested in Drouin plus a pick or prospect for Ristolainen. It seems like that would be close to fair value.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What is Drouin’s problem? Is it effort? Fans seem very divided on the young man.

As others have stated, Drouin’s value will vary depending on a teams situation and how GMs perceive his ability to finally put it together.

Montreal is better off keeping him because there isn’t a lot of incentive to move the guy and he is producing (while not at the rate they had hoped).

I don’t think it’s smart to move him unless other forwards push him out of the top six or if they receive an offer they can’t refuse.

Would I be willing to make a high value offer for him? Not at this time. He’s still young and hopefully he starts playing to his previously perceived potential.

I would offer a mid to late first and maybe a small add. I’d expect that isn’t enough. Anything more than that and I’d probably regret it later. Anything less than that probably seems insulting.
I don’t think Drouin would return a first higher than very late in the round (25-32) and even then that’s likely pushing to the high end.
Drouin is a small, 40-50 point winger who is poor defensively (always a minus). He provides nothing to his team unless he’s scoring. He is younger still, and does have excellent puck skills, so he does carry value in potential, but it’s not really a lot, especially considering his contract. 5.5 per for five more years is a lot for what he provides.

Reactions: Psycho Mantis

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

If you take Drouin's top 10% of plays and you think you are getting Melanie Griffith circa 1984 in Body Double. But if you look at his worst plays you get clown face Melanie circa 2020.

Yesterday was such a clean example. Yes he had a really nice play that generated a shot on net and you went NICE PLAY. Then you see the short handed goal the Habs give up. Drouin for a millisecond pauses on the back check and before you know its blam short handed leafs goal.

If I am a contender all day I trade for Killorn over Drouin.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't see MB trading him as the return at this point would be too low and he would look so bad as Sergachev would have looked great paired up with Romanov going forward. But if you can't get a 1st for him, there's no reason to trade him since we already have 3 2nd's this year, next years draft is said to be weak so then you are talking about a pick in '22 so you might as well just hold on and hope next season he figures his shit out

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bad time to put up a Drouin value thread. He's not going to be traded and the Habs actually need his skill on the PP. Yeah, he has flaws... please tell me all about it cause I don't know :sarcasm:. I think Drouin's true potential comes out when he plays with a legit top 2C. He never has and he's been bounced around by both the Lightning and Habs.

Johnson was probably the best center
Domi the most skilled but he's not a mature center
Danault at times but sample size is very small
Kotkaniemi who is 18/19 and has development required

Drouin does not have much time at all with Stamkos (especially his age 20 & 21 seasons)
Drouin played a little bit with Point in his Rookie season
Drouin did play with Kucherov in his age 21 season which is his best yet. That was his break out point and he looked very good.

Lots would take a shot on Drouin if they had the right pieces for him to play with and a LW skilled need. Not many would pay a huge price though. Most would want to acquire for 50 pts value when he could break out to be a 50-80 pts winger in his prime years.

End result? Habs are not trading Drouin at low value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you take Drouin's top 10% of plays and you think you are getting Melanie Griffith circa 1984 in Body Double. But if you look at his worst plays you get clown face Melanie circa 2020.

Yesterday was such a clean example. Yes he had a really nice play that generated a shot on net and you went NICE PLAY. Then you see the short handed goal the Habs give up. Drouin for a millisecond pauses on the back check and before you know its blam short handed leafs goal.

If I am a contender all day I trade for Killorn over Drouin.

Depends on what your team needs. A team like the Preds, Blue Jackets, Coyotes who are big and strong but need some offense could use Drouin and a team who is already skilled but needs grit can use Killorn.

Pretty sure the Lightning's plan #1 is to unload 2 of Gourde, Palat, Johnson. Yeah, Killorn does not have a full NTC like the others but Tampa will try their best to protect their grit cause it's a huge reason why they lost to the Blue Jackets last playoffs and why they dug so deep in their futures to acquire Coleman

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Not going to happen. We won't trade him for cheap and we realize he has flaws yes. Habs PP is horrible and we need his skill. Trading Drouin makes our PP even worse (believe it or not..lol)

Please... tell us all about how he is just a 50 pts winger at best. It won't work

I think he would be good with a shooter.
He has talent. Just needs to be utilized properly.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think he would be good with a shooter.
He has talent. Just needs to be utilized properly.

Agreed. He needs a physical center who has play making ability and a shooter who is not soft at RW. He won't drive a line on his own but he's a great PP asset and play making winger with skill/skating.

I can certainly see Drouin getting 60-80 pts if he is in the right situation. Habs don't have that right now cause we lack shooters and also mature centers. But no way the Habs trade him for low value like just a 50 pts winger. Not yet anyways

Some Habs fans are so frustrated with him they would trade him for a bag of pucks. But they fail to realize he is not a star and he won't lead our team. He is a solid secondary offensive piece with some flaws yes but a decent cap hit.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Agreed. He needs a physical center who has play making ability and a shooter who is not soft at RW. He won't drive a line on his own but he's a great PP asset and play making winger with skill/skating.

I can certainly see Drouin getting 60-80 pts if he is in the right situation. Habs don't have that right now cause we lack shooters and also mature centers. But no way the Habs trade him for low value like just a 50 pts winger. Not yet anyways

Some Habs fans are so frustrated with him they would trade him for a bag of pucks. But they fail to realize he is not a star and he won't lead our team. He is a solid secondary offensive piece with some flaws yes but a decent cap hit.

Draisaitl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad