Will Drouin be traded this summer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The Drouin witch hunt is unreasonable. He has a fair cap hit for his production. Frustrating to watch, sure, because he has all the talent in the world and I think that adds to people's frustration. But when pre-season heroes are crowned and people want to replace him with the Belziles and Cousins of the world... That to me has no basis in reality. Reality is he still was 3rd on the team in points last season despite a horrible last quarter. Name me a fourth liner with 53 points in an NHL season? He is a top 6 forward. With flaws, sure.

We need more offense, not less.

While its crazy to think that Belize would do better than Drouin, we have to actually dive a little deeper into the bolded. Sure he put up points, but breaking it down:

-At ES he was 7th among forwards in P/60. This is despite mostly favourable deployment. Even just raw point totals at ES he was 6th among forwards. And its not like he was getting unlucky or anything. It is not outrageous to say he's not a top-6 forward (given his production and defensive play), as that really only has meaning at ES.

-On the PP, he was the most productive Hab. The issue there is that, because he's pretty mediocre offensively at ES and doesn't defend well, he needs to be good on the PP. He's asked to run the PP. And Montreal's PP sucks. A lot of that is personnel, but Drouin is way too inconsistent on the PP too.

Its not even like he's be the only 50ish point player that's not a top-6 forward.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
While its crazy to think that Belize would do better than Drouin, we have to actually dive a little deeper into the bolded. Sure he put up points, but breaking it down:

-At ES he was 7th among forwards in P/60. This is despite mostly favourable deployment. Even just raw point totals at ES he was 6th among forwards. And its not like he was getting unlucky or anything. It is not outrageous to say he's not a top-6 forward (given his production and defensive play), as that really only has meaning at ES.

-On the PP, he was the most productive Hab. The issue there is that, because he's pretty mediocre offensively at ES and doesn't defend well, he needs to be good on the PP. He's asked to run the PP. And Montreal's PP sucks. A lot of that is personnel, but Drouin is way too inconsistent on the PP too.

Its not even like he's be the only 50ish point player that's not a top-6 forward.
It's an interesting case for Drouin. He had a pretty promising start before he took that nosedive later on in the season.

Who's the real drouin? The one we saw to start the year, the one at the end or was that whole year an anomaly and he's something in between. This season should be pretty telling.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It's an interesting case for Drouin. He had a pretty promising start before he took that nosedive later on in the season.

Who's the real drouin? The one we saw to start the year, the one at the end or was that whole year an anomaly and he's something in between. This season should be pretty telling.

Between. He's definitely not a no-points player, but his production earlier in the season was totally unsustainable given how ineffective the Drouin-Domi duo (pre-Shaw) was at creating scoring chances. Domi was much better with other linemates, while Drouin was pretty much the same.

Reactions: DangerDave

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Between. He's definitely not a no-points player, but his production earlier in the season was totally unsustainable given how ineffective the Drouin-Domi duo (pre-Shaw) was at creating scoring chances. Domi was much better with other linemates, while Drouin was pretty much the same.
Im hoping he can replicate what he did early on but I think you're probably right

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

The real Drouin is the one that will get you some points early on and then will fade into obscurity when the going gets touch in Feb.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Naw, let's not use the leverage and trade him when his numbers are inflated thanks to red hot linemates and unsustainable conversion rates.
Let's wait til he ghosts for the hundredth time.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
The Curious Case Of Jonathan Drouin
"Unfortunately for Drouin, today’s NHL playoff puts a premium on defensive play from forwards, and while his potent skill set is enabled when he has the puck, he’s been a non-factor on the Lightning’s end of the ice; easily thrown off his assignment by aggressive checkers.
That’s why, despite the club’s bright future, Tampa Bay’s front office should strongly consider a once unthinkable option this off-season: trade Drouin."

So, are the Habs there yet too? According to many posters here, I'd say so.
That is so on point.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
This guy just doesn't get it.............all the while we need a top 4 Dman on the left side, and our guy is with Tampa.
Yeah but at the moment of the trade, the Habs needed a Center.... hmmm... well, lol.

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
I would get this guy out of town ASAP. Can't believe how low this guy's stock has dropped. The fact that we could've enjoyed a Sergachev-Weber combo makes it worst.

Could've just resigned Radulov, kept Sergachev and go from there.

Reactions: cphabs

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Honestly I have a hard time seeing Drouin play out his contract here
I don't think we see him here at the start of next season. He is traded during the season or gone next off season!

ludwig

Dec 17, 2007
He floats so much, really frustrating. Especially when compared to his linemate Domi. Domi is everywhere, creative, skates hard, aggressive....Drouin is the opposite. Seems super disengaged.

Reactions: cphabs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

The guy you saw the entire season is Drouin, he's always on/off. That's the real Drouin. A full season ON or OFF would be the anomaly.

Players don't come to their real identity in their 6th year.

Reactions: Lshap and Bask

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
The guy you saw the entire season is Drouin, he's always on/off. That's the real Drouin. A full season ON or OFF would be the anomaly.

You could be right. Still, I'd rather him be one game on, one game off than just 23 games off in a row.

I know it's just pre season but I find his approach to all of this concerning. Here's a guy who was heavily criticized for having a poor end of season and he's just taking it easy in pre season. He boasted that he went over some tape and all that but he looks as bad as ever.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Are you defending him?

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I thought he was OK for the amount of time he played last night.
I'm afraid that he is who he is and hope for the best.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

This is accurate. The question is whether Drouin's on/off play gets worse because of the scrutiny he's under in Montreal. It's one thing for us to want him traded, it's another thing if he's fed up with the media and negative attention, and lets management know he wants out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad