Will Drouin be traded this summer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Doesn't change the fact that Galchenyuk's value was not reduced cause he was being treated like Drouin today due to his play on the ice where we played him all over the line-up... including the 4th line.

I repeat, I rather play him with Weal and Armia before I trade him for cheap cause we want him shipped out of town. That's not smart asset management and your frustration gets the best of you.
How exactly would you even know that? Do you know what was being offered for Galch right after his 30G season?..
It's completely logical to assume his value sunk at the very least, a bit.
Fair to assume a top 6 player who's now relegated to 4th line duties would see his value drop.

I mean....nothing earth shaterring here, just simple logic and common sense.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Galchenyuk for Domi. We held on to Galchenyuk until we got the return we wanted. I call that smart asset management
Sure, but imagine what Habs could have gotten for him have they not screwed him up in the first place. Like not bounced him around the lineup, putting him up with useless 4th liners... kind of thing they are doing to KK now. Hopefully there is another clueless GM (like Arizona's or Mtl's) that will give Habs something decent for KK.
I now have an unwavering faith that KK is headed Galchenyuk's way.

Reactions: Eye Test

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I think my point is going over your head. Look up constructive criticism and read into it. Treating any Habs player like this who is struggling is disgusting. There is nothing to gain with jumping on someone when they are down. Do you think this is good character on your behalf?

Passion to win should not be translated to hate. We are all passionate Habs fans and we all know Drouin's struggles. Makes no sense to jump on someone when they are down cause you are frustrated.

I actually don't hate Drouin. I even took him in my pool last season. I had faith in him.

What bothers me is actually what you do. You've been finding excuse for the guy for years. You keep using the words:pressure, expectation, young, support to make excuse Drouin meanwhile.. McKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm Domi who are just as young are developing into veterans, that their team success are depending on them. I'd totally understand if we are talking about KK. I'm not impressed with his preseason so far so I don't bash on him. We are talking about Drouin, our most paid forwards, having trouble to play a decent preseason games against AHLers after letting his team down last season. If there's one veteran that shouldn't take this preseason lightly, its Drouin.

It actually makes perfect sense to criticize Drouin when he doesn't perform. That's what fans do. There's a difference between a fan and a fanboy. Let's say my expectation is much higher than yours.

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Galchenyuk for Domi. We held on to Galchenyuk until we got the return we wanted. I call that smart asset management
You are not remembering the trade clearly. It was one underpreforming problem child for another underperforming problem child. The Habs got very lucky. Maybe all he needs is a hug, to get him going. Oh right you said he's still developing.

Reactions: Miller Time

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I understand that. I'm talking about this season though. I won't be concerned about his play in pre-season as it isn't an indication of how he'll play when the games are meaningful.

What's alarming and concerning is that when he comments his own performances, he's being straight up positive about it. I just think he's too stupid to understand the situation he's in.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
31 Thoughts: How Brayden Point's contract impacts the RFA market - Sportsnet.ca

6. This will come as no surprise to anyone who follows the Canadiens, but they are looking to move a forward. Nick Suzuki is pushing. Even though he was sent Monday night to AHL Laval, Jake Evans is too. Hopefully Ryan Poehling makes a quick and complete recovery, but even with his injury, they have extra bodies. Jonathan Drouin played 11:57 in Monday’s 3-0 loss Toronto, lowest among all skaters. Already, this is something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sure, but imagine what Habs could have gotten for him have they not screwed him up in the first place. Like not bounced him around the lineup, putting him up with useless 4th liners... kind of thing they are doing to KK now. Hopefully there is another clueless GM (like Arizona's or Mtl's) that will give Habs something decent for KK.
I now have an unwavering faith that KK is headed Galchenyuk's way.

Strange how you are defending Galchenyuk and his flaws but you are quick to throw Drouin and his flaws under the bus.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What's alarming and concerning is that when he comments his own performances, he's being straight up positive about it. I just think he's too stupid to understand the situation he's in.

Might be a coaching issue where they are instructing him to play safer where he should be playing a more attack style of game. I think he is struggling to mature as a smart hockey player doing the little things right and he he is not riding his true skill set which is a fast forward with skill. I say let him live in the danger zone but only in transition through the neutral zone towards to offensive end. Play the safe game in our own end but once we are moving the puck to the offensive end... go out there and be creative and attack. Don't stop moving your feet cause once Drouin is stationary, he is not at his best or utilizing his true skills.

We all agree something is not right but the skill/skating is there for him to be successful.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I understand that. I'm talking about this season though. I won't be concerned about his play in pre-season as it isn't an indication of how he'll play when the games are meaningful.

Agreed. Drouin may still disappoint us in the end but lets be hard on him when the games count. Take his 16 PP points out of the equation and it's hard to believe our PP gets worse? We need his skill in our line-up and if he is a 50-60 pts support forward who provides some value on the PP, so be it! It's not like we are paying him $7M or $8M+

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Might be a coaching issue where they are instructing him to play safer where he should be playing a more attack style of game. I think he is struggling to mature as a smart hockey player doing the little things right and he he is not riding his true skill set which is a fast forward with skill. I say let him live in the danger zone but only in transition through the neutral zone towards to offensive end. Play the safe game in our own end but once we are moving the puck to the offensive end... go out there and be creative and attack. Don't stop moving your feet cause once Drouin is stationary, he is not at his best or utilizing his true skills.

We all agree something is not right but the skill/skating is there for him to be successful.

His skill set is a fast forward with skill.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How exactly would you even know that? Do you know what was being offered for Galch right after his 30G season?..
It's completely logical to assume his value sunk at the very least, a bit.
Fair to assume a top 6 player who's now relegated to 4th line duties would see his value drop.

I mean....nothing earth shaterring here, just simple logic and common sense.

Cause Bergevin said it himself that he got offers but they were not good enough. He waited and pulled the trigger once Domi was offered.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His skill set is a fast forward with skill.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not? lol

Something is not right and I rather see a attack style game from Drouin where he is not afraid to makes mistakes in the offensive end vs the guy we have seen at the end of the season and with pre-season so far.

In his younger years, he made a name for himself by playing fearless and being one of the faster players on the ice each time he plays. Right now, he is clearly not playing a high up tempo game and utilizing his speed.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
It smells like back in 2006 when Mike Ribeiro came at camp and nobody on his line ever had any kind of chemestry. He was traded on September 30th for Janne Niinimaa after Plekanec had a very good camp. It's a bit like the Suzuki situation right now. And now with Friedman's report...

I don't know what's going to happen, but I hope the outlook of what's coming are going to look better than this Ribeiro-Niinimaa trade of then.

Jul 6, 2016
It smells like back in 2006 when Mike Ribeiro came at camp and nobody on his line ever had any kind of chemestry. He was traded on September 30th for Janne Niinimaa after Plekanec had a very good camp. It's a bit like the Suzuki situation right now. And now with Friedman's report...

I don't know what's going to happen, but I hope the outlook of what's coming are going to look better than this Ribeiro-Niinimaa trade of then.

Ribeiro was dealt for non-hockey related issues.....

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Strange how you are defending Galchenyuk and his flaws but you are quick to throw Drouin and his flaws under the bus.

Context matters.

Had Galch been given anywhere near the support that Drouin has received, I suspect there'd have been less support for him.

Drouin was acquired at the expense of our best prospect (since Galch), was immediately given a long term contract exceeding his performance level at that time because our GM expected him to be an offensive catalyst...

3 years later, despite being MB's highest paid fwd, he has yet to perform anywhere close to expectations.

Galch, for all his warts, was actually a pretty consistent contributor, whose performance exceeded his relative cap expense and remains one of the top performers from his draft class (albeit below the lofty expectations a "top3" pick carries).

Given the context, I think it's more fair to say that Galch was overly criticized, while Drouin has until recently recieved undue benifit of the doubt around here.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
oddly enough I though JD had a decent game last night.

I actually saw him hit another player to get the puck, and he back checked a few times too.

Jul 6, 2016
oddly enough I though JD had a decent game last night.

I actually saw him hit another player to get the puck, and he back checked a few times too.

You are right He had a better overall game last night. He has to do it on a constant basis and produce now. Domi has to wake up too.

Reactions: scrubadam

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Cause Bergevin said it himself that he got offers but they were not good enough. He waited and pulled the trigger once Domi was offered.
Not sure how you think this means Galch's value remained the same and never had a peak. You also have no idea what was being offered, maybe you'd find other packages more valuable if you actually knew what they were.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
His performance during preseason has been nothing short of awful and based on his ice time last night, it hasn't gone unnoticed by Claude Julien. The thing that bothers me most about it is his lack of accountability for it, I get it, it's preseason but this goes way back, he's been terrible for the last 30 games. I think his ego is hurting him at this point, he needs to understand that he can't consistently beat players one on one in the NHL; once he understands that he will evolve. Until then, if it happens at all, he will keep making the same mistakes over an over again.

Reactions: BLONG7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad