• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are not remembering the trade clearly. It was one underpreforming problem child for another underperforming problem child. The Habs got very lucky. Maybe all he needs is a hug, to get him going. Oh right you said he's still developing.

I remember the circumstance of that trade just as much as you do. Do you remember how long Galchenyuk was on the trade block where we kept him until we got a player with equal upside? That's the point we are talking about. I don't support trading Drouin for a cheap return cause we want him shipped out of town. That's what some people are saying and it's not smart asset management. If we trade him, wait for the right circumstance... what's the rush?

Lucky? I don't believe so. Bergevin and his team were very comfortable with taking on the "trouble" player in Domi and told us that he will thrive in Montreal. That's not luck, that is being spot on with what they though they were getting in Domi after holding onto Galchenyuk until they got the return they liked.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Context matters.

Had Galch been given anywhere near the support that Drouin has received, I suspect there'd have been less support for him.

Drouin was acquired at the expense of our best prospect (since Galch), was immediately given a long term contract exceeding his performance level at that time because our GM expected him to be an offensive catalyst...

3 years later, despite being MB's highest paid fwd, he has yet to perform anywhere close to expectations.

Galch, for all his warts, was actually a pretty consistent contributor, whose performance exceeded his relative cap expense and remains one of the top performers from his draft class (albeit below the lofty expectations a "top3" pick carries).

Given the context, I think it's more fair to say that Galch was overly criticized, while Drouin has until recently recieved undue benifit of the doubt around here.

Drouin was moved to bottom of the line-up last year when he stopped producing. You are right, context matters and both Galchenyuk and Drouin has flaws and when they struggle, they were moved to different spots in the line-up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His performance during preseason has been nothing short of awful and based on his ice time last night, it hasn't gone unnoticed by Claude Julien. The thing that bothers me most about it is his lack of accountability for it, I get it, it's preseason but this goes way back, he's been terrible for the last 30 games. I think his ego is hurting him at this point, he needs to understand that he can't consistently beat players one on one in the NHL; once he understands that he will evolve. Until then, if it happens at all, he will keep making the same mistakes over an over again.

He is not playing a speed/skill game and that is the biggest problem aside from his soft style. I think his focus is trying to play smart and safe but that is not his game. His season went downhill last year when he made a few passes in his own end where he put the puck right onto the other teams stick. I think they talked to him about this and he is all messed up now with how he should play. IMO, they are clearly instructing him to focus on the smart and safe play but that only should apply in our own end and through the neutral zone. Once we are moving into the other teams blue-line, let him loose!

It's been a long time since I have seen Drouin play with and edge and speedy game. He clearly is trying something different and it's not working. It's pre-season but it looks like the same as the last 20 games ish of last season.

I say let him loose once we pass our own blue line. Stop trying to get him to play conservatively, it's not his game and he is at his best when he is on attack mode and not afraid to make mistakes in the other end. This is exactly how Domi plays. Domi does turn the puck over with his creativity but he does not stop moving his feet which is key.

Reactions: Fixxer

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Drouin was moved to bottom of the line-up last year when he stopped producing. You are right, context matters and both Galchenyuk and Drouin has flaws and when they struggle, they were moved to different spots in the line-up.

Revisionist history.
Galch was yo-yoed despite exceeding early expectations & early success. & Never given a full season with our top talent.

Drouin was given almost 2 full seasons of the best linemates & opportunities we could provide...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
At least Galchenyuk could always fall back onto the role of PP sniper. Right now, Drouin is just roleless and floating through the lineup contributing nothing but mediocre production and terrible overall play.

Plus he drags his line down when he wastes chances and turns the puck over.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I understand that. I'm talking about this season though. I won't be concerned about his play in pre-season as it isn't an indication of how he'll play when the games are meaningful.

I'd be concerned with preseason games if its showcasing the same trash from the previous season.

IF he was that committed to improving his game you'd see him trying and destroying AHL'ers with all of that "RAW TALENT" instead of whatever he did last night.

Same broken record

Reactions: Habs178 and cphabs

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I may be wrong, but I'm quite sure whether Barber was or wasn't at the camp has no bearing on the fact he had to clear waivers for the upcoming season.

As for Barber, I liked what I've seen, but I'm surprised he's the ONLY guy on waivers today.
Yeah.. I was hoping to see on waivers a guy whose name starts with Dr and rhymes with Poulin

Reactions: Habs178

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Would be interesting to find out, but I don't think they're that dense. :laugh:
I don't either hence the sarcasm thingy. We will have to add to get rid of little king Joffrey, his reputation is still going strong, NHL gm's are not blind, the only exception is our own.

Reactions: peate

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If we got rid of Drouin I am confident that the team wouldn't skip a beat, he is a nothing burger. I wonder if we offered him back to Tampa would they give us back Sergachev?:sarcasm:

They probably have a laugh track ready to activate as soon as that thought is expressed.

So, nothing burger Drouin in a Barber waiver thread, huh? I guess there is a common element in there.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
They probably have a laugh track ready to activate as soon as that thought is expressed.

So, nothing burger Drouin in a Barber waiver thread, huh? I guess there is a common element in there.
Listen, Runner, if there's one thing that you of all people should know about me is that I never really know or care where I am at any time.:laugh:

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
His performance during preseason has been nothing short of awful and based on his ice time last night, it hasn't gone unnoticed by Claude Julien. The thing that bothers me most about it is his lack of accountability for it, I get it, it's preseason but this goes way back, he's been terrible for the last 30 games. I think his ego is hurting him at this point, he needs to understand that he can't consistently beat players one on one in the NHL; once he understands that he will evolve. Until then, if it happens at all, he will keep making the same mistakes over an over again.

That's been his bread and butter in junior. The issue has been for his game to evolve since he was drafted. That's where it gets tricky. Developing new habits and not doing the old thing over and over again. Trial and error I guess...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
giphy.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If we got rid of Drouin I am confident that the team wouldn't skip a beat, he is a nothing burger. I wonder if we offered him back to Tampa would they give us back Sergachev?:sarcasm:

Listen, Runner, if there's one thing that you of all people should know about me is that I never really know or care where I am at any time.:laugh:

So OC is wandering aimlessly in a new neighborhood. He's just scoping to get a lay of the land.

He doesn't need a haircut. And he's not really hungry. But he stops smack in the middle of two storefronts where he doesn't care to be.

gWxCiuf.jpg

:sarcasm:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
So OC is wandering aimlessly in a new neighborhood. He's just scoping to get a lay of the land.

He doesn't need a haircut. And he's not really hungry. But he stops smack in the middle of two storefronts where he doesn't care to be.

gWxCiuf.jpg

:sarcasm:
This site doesn't deserve you.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I'd be concerned with preseason games if its showcasing the same trash from the previous season.

IF he was that committed to improving his game you'd see him trying and destroying AHL'ers with all of that "RAW TALENT" instead of whatever he did last night.

Same broken record
He should have come out on fire and tbh he hasn't done anything in the preseason games I have watched! In my opinion, he is our forward vesion of Karl Alzner. He will not get better and probably has asked for a trade internally. He sure is playing like he wants out.

Reactions: BLONG7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad