Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin----Nothing burger edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That had very little to do with the trade for Drouin, I continue to think that it was a PR move designed to take the heat off Bergevin's shoulders. Montreal media types threw Drouin's name around for months especially after he was considered to be done in Tampa, MB used the opportunity to put a positive spin on what was a terrible season. We gave up one of the best young D prospects in the game and a guy that surely would have been a better partner for Weber than Mete has. For me, looking back on it I consider it to be one of his very worst trades, we traded a player we needed for a guy that doesn't fit anywhere. Drouin is just not that good and is on his last big NHL contract, he will bounce around for a few years once this deal ends, probably 1 million per season until he finally decides to retire.

In the least, there should have been a follow-up trade to ensure a viable first LD.

But no, it was the summer of playing hardball with Markov and Radulov and no Plan B.

Bergevin must have known from 2012 that a successor would be needed in short order. He should have focused on grooming one in-house or trading for one who could eventually fill the role. Of course, he shot himself into the foot further by relying on the likes of Lefebvre for development.

That first pairing LD spot ... still not filled since Markov.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
j98QDM.gif

giphy.gif

The original Laflamme already does Laflammesque type things.

VQZBVFl.gif

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
He's a minefield of excuses. Fool's gold.
It's no secret I have never been a fan of Jonathan drouin. I wish he were not a hab and have invoked many companions to try and adequately describe the extent of my animus.

Now I hate you because you swept in with "fools gold" which so perfectly characterises who he is as a player, so good that I am ashamed I didn't say it first.

Common, cheap, fake yet some rubes still look at how shiny it is and insist it has value, sometime in the future despite it being what it is.

Perfect.

Damn you runner, damn you to hell!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's no secret I have never been a fan of Jonathan drouin. I wish he were not a hab and have invoked many companions to try and adequately describe the extent of my animus.

Now I hate you because you swept in with "fools gold" which so perfectly characterises who he is as a player, so good that I am ashamed I didn't say it first.

Common, cheap, fake yet some rubes still look at how shiny it is and insist it has value, sometime in the future despite it being what it is.

Perfect.

Damn you runner, damn you to hell!

Love you right back, sandysan. :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm telling you right now, I am going to steal fools gold, and you can't stop me

I hear fool’s gold has set up shop near the zirconia market stand, itself adjacent to hockey cards from the 90s and Ty Beanie Babies.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I will say “Just relax, just chill out” but he better bring it this season like the guy who made those words famous.

Reactions: dralaf

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In the least, there should have been a follow-up trade to ensure a viable first LD.

But no, it was the summer of playing hardball with Markov and Radulov and no Plan B.

Bergevin must have known from 2012 that a successor would be needed in short order. He should have focused on grooming one in-house or trading for one who could eventually fill the role. Of course, he shot himself into the foot further by relying on the likes of Lefebvre for development.

That first pairing LD spot ... still not filled since Markov.
It's like Bergevin couldn't foresee the very uncommon phenomenon known as...aging...
We knew Markov was getting near his end, how do you not prepare ahead for his eventual departure? We had Sergachev in the ranks, he was the hopeful, you get rid of him for a winger when we needed a center and then create a new hole on D.
How the hell did his team of savvy advisors around not know this was a dumb ass move he absolutely needed to stay away from..
And since, seemingly zero effort to fill the void left by Markov leaving.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Drouin has so much talent. He is by far the most talented player who played for the Habs since Kovalev, and its not even close.

I like talent, and I'll take a player like him on my team any day. He's one of the only forward I feel can play decently on a 3v3 (with maybe Domi and Petry), he's excellent in the shootout, and is one of the only player that can make a zone entry with possession on the PP. He's useful, even with his flaws. His potential is through the roof.

I'm believer. Call me crazy, but I do think he cares. Pressure to play in this city is high, though. Might get to him for sure.

Now a visual reminder of his talent.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Drouin has so much talent. He is by far the most talented player who played for the Habs since Kovalev, and its not even close.

I like talent, and I'll take a player like him on my team any day. He's one of the only forward I feel can play decently on a 3v3 (with maybe Domi and Petry), he's excellent in the shootout, and is one of the only player that can make a zone entry with possession on the PP. He's useful, even with his flaws. His potential is through the roof.

I'm believer. Call me crazy, but I do think he cares. Pressure to play in this city is high, though. Might get to him for sure.

Now a visual reminder of his talent.

Max Domi head and shoulder while Suzuki is probably already better... What is talent anyway without a decent work ethic? Drouin stinks 5 on 5, he is weak and soft as butter, he is bad defensively and the IQ is lacking...

25th

Jul 11, 2009
Aylmer beach, Qc
Well in his first 303 games Huberdeau had 198 points vs Drouin in 322 games at 194 points. So pretty close, I guess we can wait a little longer and hope he blossomes like Hubby did or we can sell low before the season has even started because y'all are fanatical.

Huberdeau first 303 games 198 pts
Drouin first 303 games 191 pts

Can we just give the guy a break?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Max Domi head and shoulder while Suzuki is probably already better... What is talent anyway without a decent work ethic? Drouin stinks 5 on 5, he is weak and soft as butter, he is bad defensively and the IQ is lacking...
Drouin has the most talent, its not even close.

Saying Domi has more talent than Drouin is like saying Koivu was more talented than Kovalev.

Reactions: phillytennis

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Huberdeau first 303 games 198 pts
Drouin first 303 games 191 pts

Can we just give the guy a break?

So out of context. Huberdeau had no one to play with in Florida until Barkov joined in.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Let me remind to the crowds of angry fans, that there are also other vets that looked like total crap. I don't know, Drouin has been bad but so are a bunch of other guys, it's a concern yes, but I feel like the emotion level is a bit too high around here. Let's be more optimistic and prepare to rejoice for when MB trades Drouin for a washed up LHD.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Drouin has the most talent, its not even close.

Saying Domi has more talent than Drouin is like saying Koivu was more talented than Kovalev.
Drouin has tons of skill. Nobody is denying it. Fast, good hands, good shot. Just that he uses it sporadically and he's worthless when he isn't using it.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Let me remind to the crowds of angry fans, that there are also other vets that looked like total crap. I don't know, Drouin has been bad but so are a bunch of other guys, it's a concern yes, but I feel like the emotion level is a bit too high around here. Let's be more optimistic and prepare to rejoice for when MB trades Drouin for a washed up LHD.
It comes with the way he ended the season. Had he just kept playing at the same level he was at the start, few would complain. He is super frustrating though so I can't blame the people here.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad