Eklund Rumor: Jonathan Drouin in Play

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Drouin only moves if Yzerman knows he still has a grudge and will leave eventually, and we get an overpayment. Otherwise there is NO reason to move him. Kid is a core player.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The last thing a team that's not going to make the playoffs would do is trade their potential young stars...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Teams have probably asked about him ,hense his name being brought up .But after what Stevie Y went through to keep this kid .Its seems very unlikely he gets moved:nod:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Drouin is exactly what Anaheim needs, and we have the pieces available that could probably make it work. That said, Tampa would be stupid to trade Drouin and it's Elkund so no way he's going anywhere.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I doubt it, but man I wish we could grab him. He'd be exactly what this franchise needs, but there's no reason for the Bolts to part with him unless they are getting Lindholm back as a base for the deal.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This makes no sense. Bolts are out of playoff contention and should be looking to gain value and add youth for veteran players. Drouin is a big part of their plans going forward.

IMO this is just some more Eklund Fake News. Luckily I learned to not give him his clicks a long time ago.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, I'm someone who considers Drouin overrated, but doesn't TB have cap problems going forward? Why would they trade one of their assets whose cap number is relatively low/ controllable?

Having said that, and assuming that cap can be worked out with dumps, how bout Duchene for Drouin? I think it's somewhat fair value...Duchene is a better player now and in the past, but Drouin has more of a future...still don't know if that helps either team.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I can't believe after all that riff raff from last year, that Drouin is only signed to a 900k contract. HOly **** Yzerman lol. Guy's going to want a 7 mil contract after the year he just had considering the drama.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trouba for Drouin? Though I don't think that is what the Jets need. Drouin would be a nice toy, but not a need.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I can't believe after all that riff raff from last year, that Drouin is only signed to a 900k contract. HOly **** Yzerman lol. Guy's going to want a 7 mil contract after the year he just had considering the drama.

His contract slid where as guys like Jones, MacKinnon, Monahan, Barkov, and Elias Lindholm all started in the NHL right out of the draft so they've already completed their ELCs.

We probably won't see another offer sheet anytime soon, but if a non bottom feeding team believes in Drouin and has the cap space TB could be in trouble. Imagine signing Drouin to a 4 year 7.5M contract. He'd be at worst 1.5M overpaid compared to your typical UFAs and it would only cost a 1st+2nd+3rd to get him.

(Yes I know he isn't a UFA. But if you're poaching him, you're looking at him more like a UFA and not judging what he is worth based on if you owned his RFA rights because you don't own them.)

Do I think that is gonna happen? Not really. We didn't see it last year with Kucherov. It is still something to consider though.

TB has 12M next year with only 14 guys signed. Those extra roster spots even at league minimum quickly add up to being worth a few million of cap space. Johnson, Palat, and Drouin are all up for contracts. Drouin's contemporaries on other teams have skipped bridge deals and gotten long term 6M per contracts. So I would guess that is what he would be going for. Tampa has created a good culture of getting guys for cheap on bridge deals before paying them and they also have the FLA tax advantage so if I was betting I'd say they get a 3M-4M bridge deal done with Drouin, but they'd still probably have to trade a decent player or attach an asset with a contract to create cap room.

Someone has gotta go though. It'll be interesting to see what direction TB goes in.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I sincerely hate imagining what this team would look like without Jonathan Drouin. More/less unwatchable, from a fan's POV.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Love to have Drouin, but the Jets need a re-signed Trouba infinitely more.

Exactly. I don't think Trouba is w/o his flaws, but a big, young Top 2 RHD is worth a ton. I would think that TBL WOULD have to do this trade.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
LA needs a scorer (preferably young and either under contract or an RFA after this year) and Tampa Bay now benefits if LA goes far in the playoffs, thanks to the conditional pick that they got in the Bishop trade. If Drouin or Johnson is available, there's reason for Lombardi and Yzerman to talk again. I imagine that the return would have to include Muzzin or Martinez (because LA would need the cap space for re-signing and to move to protecting 7+3 in the expansion draft), if either is interesting to Tampa Bay.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad