Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Guy Laflamme edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Maturity is a factor. He has already matured beyond who he was last year and is having a better season. It's normal for top 6 talent who are not elite level superstars. Most of these types reveal their true value from age 25-30 range.
Maturity is a factor. He has already matured beyond who he was last year and is having a better season. It's normal for top 6 talent who are not elite level superstars. Most of these types reveal their true value from age 25-30 range.
Can we put him on the 3rd line until he reaches 25?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's nothing wrong with the linemates Drouin had this year. No Mcdavid in there but good players nonetheless. Good players always find a way to produce.

Nothing wrong? Not sure I agree. Danault is our only true trusted center and he lacks offensive vision. Kotkaniemi is being sheltered on the 3C role and we need to keep Drouin away from him until he proves he can carry his wingers. That will take time. Domi is doing well at center and fit well with Drouin here and there. Problem is they need a winger like Stone, not Shaw.

I like our top 9 depth (we have 10 top 9 guys IMO) but we have way too many soft types. Drouin is one of them. Do I hate him or want to devalue him for that? No. I have accepted who Drouin is and I still value him on our team moving forward. The kid has skill and we need this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can we put him on the 3rd line until he reaches 25?

No. A soft Drouin playing with Kotkaniemi is not a good idea. The real issue is Kotkaniemi is not ready for a top 2C role and Danualt plays a very good 200' game but lacks the kind of skill to feed off of Drouin. Domi/Drouin is the best combo but then who do you play with them? Shaw?

The other issue is we have too many soft forwards. Armia is the only guy who can win puck battles. Gallagher, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Byron, Domi all work hard but they can't win puck battles like Armia can. We need to mix in a guy like Stone IMO.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
No. A soft Drouin playing with Kotkaniemi is not a good idea. The real issue is Kotkaniemi is not ready for a top 2C role and Danualt plays a very good 200' game but lacks the kind of skill to feed off of Drouin. Domi/Drouin is the best combo but then who do you play with them? Shaw?

The other issue is we have too many soft forwards. Armia is the only guy who can win puck battles. Gallagher, Tatar, Kotkaniemi, Danault, Byron, Domi all work hard but they can't win puck battles like Armia can. We need to mix in a guy like Stone IMO.
So Drouin is summarily absolved of any responsibility other than offense until he turns 25, while our team philosophy, training, draft picks, and trades focus on a “200” foot game? Sounds legit! This kid is doomed!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’m honestly worried about him.

Nothing against Danault, but I don't like his chemistry with Danault.

I think Danault would have better chemistry with Lehkonen and Byron/Shaw and Kotkaniemi would have better chemistry with Drouin and Gallagher.

I'll only start worrying about him if he's not involved offensively on an offensive line with two other offensive players.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I can’t recall a Habs player with more preferential coddling since I started watching them in the mid-70s

and that includes Desharnais

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Nothing against Danault, but I don't like his chemistry with Danault.

I think Danault would have better chemistry with Lehkonen and Byron/Shaw and Kotkaniemi would have better chemistry with Drouin and Gallagher.

I'll only start worrying about him if he's not involved offensively on an offensive line with two other offensive players.
Yawn. He was on Domi's wing to begin with while getting top minutes. It only took Domi cooling down for Drouin to disappear and force Julien's hand. Then, people were saying Danault and Gallagher were better for him because they played a simple game and allowed him to control the puck more.

Fast forward three weeks and it's back to needing an offensive line but not just any kind, one with a goalscorer. "Well Gallagher's about to score 30". No not that kind, one who can reallllyyy score lol. Someone should make a Wheel of Excuses because they're running out.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yawn. He was on Domi's wing to begin with while getting top minutes. It only took Domi cooling down for Drouin to disappear and force Julien's hand. Then, people were saying Danault and Gallagher were better for him because they played a simple game and allowed him to control the puck more.

Fast forward three weeks and it's back to needing an offensive line but not just any kind, one with a goalscorer. "Well Gallagher's about to score 30". No not that kind, one who can reallllyyy score lol. Someone should make a Wheel of Excuses because they're running out.

I never said Drouin would be good with Danault. Could care less what anyone else said...

Drouin and Domi helped each other.

Drouin is slumping. We knew at the beginning of the year he hadn't figured everything out in terms of both the offensive and defensive sides of the game. I think it's possible, not definite, but possible he will. If you don't, go ahead and believe that until your heart's content. I'd still like to see him continue to develop and play with offensive players. What choice do we have anyways, it's not like he has good trade value now.

imo Kotkaniemi would be producing more if he was playing with Drouin, and the same for Drouin if he was playing with Kotkaniemi.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I never said Drouin would be good with Danault. Could care less what anyone else said...

Drouin and Domi helped each other.

Drouin is slumping. We knew at the beginning of the year he hadn't figured everything out in terms of both the offensive and defensive sides of the game. I think it's possible, not definite, but possible he will. If you don't, go ahead and believe that until your heart's content. I'd still like to see him continue to develop and play with offensive players. What choice do we have anyways, it's not like he has good trade value now.

imo Kotkaniemi would be producing more if he was playing with Drouin, and the same for Drouin if he was playing with Kotkaniemi.
The point is the merry-go-round of linemates and excuses has went its course.
It's not up to Kotkaniemi or Danault or anyone else except Drouin himself to figure it out. As far as developing, he's turning 24 in a couple weeks, these are his prime scoring years, what you see is pretty much what you'll get.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The point is the merry-go-round of linemates and excuses has went its course.
It's not up to Kotkaniemi or Danault or anyone else except Drouin himself to figure it out. As far as developing, he's turning 24 in a couple weeks, these are his prime scoring years, what you see is pretty much what you'll get.

Shaw had a good run with Domi and Drouin, but I still don't think that's his ideal role. Lehkonen and Armia are also not suited for first offensive line duties. Byron could in theory be on a first line, but with Domi and Drouin already there, that line was too small and couldn't maintain possession in the O-zone via a cycle.

I also think Danault's proper seat is 3c.

So we either put KK on the second line, and go Drouin KK Gallagher/Byron, or we go Drouin Domi Gallagher, or we get another top six right wing and go Drouin Domi new rw here.

So eiher we're missing a top 6 winger, or KK should be in the top six. I'd like to see everyone in their proper chair before I burry Drouin for good. But yes, he's not going to be the one to lead the team. He's more of a flashy player that will score you 60 points, a top 6 winger.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Nothing wrong? Not sure I agree. Danault is our only true trusted center and he lacks offensive vision. Kotkaniemi is being sheltered on the 3C role and we need to keep Drouin away from him until he proves he can carry his wingers. That will take time. Domi is doing well at center and fit well with Drouin here and there. Problem is they need a winger like Stone, not Shaw.

I like our top 9 depth (we have 10 top 9 guys IMO) but we have way too many soft types. Drouin is one of them. Do I hate him or want to devalue him for that? No. I have accepted who Drouin is and I still value him on our team moving forward. The kid has skill and we need this.
Players of Drouin’s talent don’t need better players....they have the ability to make players around them better. Has it occurred to anyone that Drouin is simply overrated? The AHL is mired with great skaters who couldn’t make it. Drouin has limited hockey sense and can’t make plays at high speeds.
Last year we said that his “off year” was due to him playing center. What’s the excuse this year? Gallagher isn’t good enough? Domi? Danault? He plays on the first PP unit and we have the worst PP in the league. For a guy with so much speed and talent how on earth is he averaging under a point a game?

Reactions: HKbleu

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
Seems to be a lot of hate for Drouin. For me personally it put a bad taste in my mouth by the way he got handed everything. Came in and was given top line and top center role without any past production to deserve it. All this while guys like Galchenyuk and Eller would get banished to the 3rd/4th line for 1 mistake. The preforential treatment bugs me more than the players game. He makes mistakes like all young players do but for some reason he has no accountability for them . Hes still a Hab so ill cheer for him as long as he wears the jersey and hopefully the coaches are working hard with him on his flaws and hopefully he has the drive to improve because im sure every fan would love to see a more consistant Drouin as i dont think anyone doubts his ability to reach 70+ points. He just needs to improve his defensive game (without giving up his creativity) and for now im gonna cut him some slack as i have seen improvements over the last few years (very small improvements but improvements none the less) GO HABS GO.

Reactions: HKbleu

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Seems to be a lot of hate for Drouin. For me personally it put a bad taste in my mouth by the way he got handed everything. Came in and was given top line and top center role without any past production to deserve it. All this while guys like Galchenyuk and Eller would get banished to the 3rd/4th line for 1 mistake. The preforential treatment bugs me more than the players game. He makes mistakes like all young players do but for some reason he has no accountability for them . Hes still a Hab so ill cheer for him as long as he wears the jersey and hopefully the coaches are working hard with him on his flaws and hopefully he has the drive to improve because im sure every fan would love to see a more consistant Drouin as i dont think anyone doubts his ability to reach 70+ points. He just needs to improve his defensive game (without giving up his creativity) and for now im gonna cut him some slack as i have seen improvements over the last few years (very small improvements but improvements none the less) GO HABS GO.
Hate is a strong word. As a fan I hate no players. I dislike Drouin because I see the potential and the talent. He scored 9 points in 3 games and we all thought we were witnessing the breakout and what happens next? ZERO points in the last 6 games. He was completely invisible against the Flyers which is concerning since his linemates were very engaged.

No accountably is definitely an issue while other players are held to a different standard. You won’t win championships with floaters like this.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Hate is a strong word. As a fan I hate no players. I dislike Drouin because I see the potential and the talent. He scored 9 points in 3 games and we all thought we were witnessing the breakout and what happens next? ZERO points in the last 6 games. He was completely invisible against the Flyers which is concerning since his linemates were very engaged.

No accountably is definitely an issue while other players are held to a different standard. You won’t win championships with floaters like this.
I think most would accept a more responsible and less foolhardy Drouin. The goals will come, just don't cause any.

Reactions: Tyson

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
This is how badly Drouin sucks: him being out of the lineup is cause for his white knights to show up. Hypothetical Drouin is the best Drouin. He makes all the difference. It's that actual Drouin who gives the puck away like he's playing for the other team.

Reactions: Genesis76

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He’s our most skilled player without question.
That there’s no doubt.....but he makes very risky unnecessary plays that hurts us.

I don’t know if it’s low hockey IQ, or immaturity, lack of focus or part of the growth, but he’s a very frustrating player to watch when he’s not dialed in.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
If we had Drouin i’m sure we wouldn’t score those 3 goals in the first.

But if we did he would of been a major weakness the next 2 periods.

Julien did the right thing here. We absolutly dont need Drouin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad