Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Guy Laflamme edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
If we had Drouin i’m sure we wouldn’t score those 3 goals in the first.

But if we did he would of been a major weakness the next 2
Julien did the right thing here. We absolutly dont need Drouin.

Smart comment....lolllllll

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I can’t recall a Habs player with more preferential coddling since I started watching them in the mid-70s

and that includes Desharnais
Nah, The Desharnais thing was ridiculous because it come from the coach at the expense of players who had higher ceilings.

The front office boxed themselves into a corner with Drouin when they promoted the hell out of him as basically the new Damphousse or Turgeon during the summer of 2017... he should be wearing a fyrefest mini-tent instead of a Habs helmet on his head right now.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Watching Drouin's play tonight and many nights this season, reminds me of Lafleur's 3rd season. Getting more consistent all around game, then had his breakout year in his 4th season. Drouin makes those dashes down the ice like Lafleur did, then they became a part of his repertoire, I see that coming really soon. Watch closely it's surreal how similar it uplifts me the way Lafleur did. I have been extremely fortunate to see so many great players careers, Drouin is poised to be another IMHO!!!...

Reactions: Draft

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Watching Drouin's play tonight and many nights this season, reminds me of Lafleur's 3rd season. Getting more consistent all around game, then had his breakout year in his 4th season. Drouin makes those dashes down the ice like Lafleur did, then they became a part of his repertoire, I see that coming really soon. Watch closely it's surreal how similar it uplifts me the way Lafleur did.

I remember watching Gomez one game when he was with the rangers and thinking he can rush the puck up the ice like no one else, therefore he's a great player.

It's flawed reasoning. In today's game, where goalies are really good, it's not enough to rush the puck up the ice and take a slap shot from far out. You need to also be able to have a lot of skill and hockey sense to consistently create quality scoring chances. Unless Drouin can develop that, he won't be a modern day Lafleur.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
7 games in a row without a point.

Ya think maybe he and Danault just don't have chemistry - like some us predicted the moment they were put together?

Drouin should be playing with Domi or Kotkaniemi. At this point I don't care which one.

Reactions: habdynasty

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Drouin couldn’t carry Lafleur’s jock...I can’t beleive anyone would compare Drouin to Guy. Their only comparison is they were born in Quebec and speak French.[/QUOTE]

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Drouin couldn’t carry Lafleur’s jock...I can’t beleive anyone would compare Drouin to Guy. Their only comparison is they were born in Quebec and speak French.
[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone want to carry someone else's jockstrap? I don't understand that at all, probably sweaty stinking etc.LOL!!!...Next season will be a real eye opener, I am expecting a breakout year from Drouin, this is what I said.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
You guys go ahead on your massive rants.

The conclusion I stick to, which has been given by a few sensible posters since we acquired him is simple:

Good supporting player, terrible player to base your team around.

Thats why he gets the hate, he's not a player to expect a team carrying effort from. Tame your expectations and he's a fine offensive support player.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
You guys go ahead on your massive rants.

The conclusion I stick to, which has been given by a few sensible posters since we acquired him is simple:

Good supporting player, terrible player to base your team around.

Thats why he gets the hate, he's not a player to expect a team carrying effort from. Tame your expectations and he's a fine offensive support player.

The thing is... expectations are high because the media sold him as being that guy. He was a 3rd overall pick, he had a great junior career and he was coming off from some good seasons/progression while he was in Tampa. That said, agreed, he's not that guy.

Why would anyone want to carry someone else's jockstrap? I don't understand that at all, probably sweaty stinking etc.LOL!!!...Next season will be a real eye opener, I am expecting a breakout year from Drouin, this is what I said.[/QUOTE]

People have been saying that Drouin is going to have a breakout year for 3 straight years. Your comparison to Lafleur doesn't hold on much though. Drouin and Lafleur may have had about the same age in their 4th season as Habs, Drouin will be entering his 6th season in the NHL next October (5th full mind you). His consistency and all-around game aren't improving much neither.

Reactions: Deluded Puck

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Drouin is the most naturally talented player on this team.Whether he ever gets his head to match his skills is still waiting to be seen.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
He’s in what - year 4 or 5 now? I don’t think you can develop “hockey IQ” ; either you have it or you don’t. Most developments are physical.

I'd say that's probably one of the primary skills you learn by playing in the NHL. How to play smart, effective hockey against equally talented players.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Drouin will go down like Pacioretty in SOME ways, not all.

A guy who is most talented forward on team but leaving a lot to be desired.

As bad as he can be some games some teams with legit talent would love him. You think McDavid would bitch to have Drouin on his wing?

Sometimes it is what it is. Drouin is flawed like a lot of players but he's not a franchise talent, neither is guy we traded for him.

We can only hope Drouin wakes up and has a little streak to set us back in motion. He's got that time to prove he can step up.

Reactions: HBDay

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Disagree on Pacioretty. He is nowhere near as gifted as Drouin and if people wanted more out of him then it was because of the ridiculous decision to give him the C, which raised expectations.

He is a north south sniper who is streaky. Nothing more nothing less.

Reactions: HBDay

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Disagree on Pacioretty. He is nowhere near as gifted as Drouin and if people wanted more out of him then it was because of the ridiculous decision to give him the C, which raised expectations.

He is a north south sniper who is streaky. Nothing more nothing less.

Patio ready came before the C. His shit playoff performances came before the C.

I didn't say they had same style. I'm saying they were both best forward but not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad