Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Dr Jeckel And Mister Hyde Vibes Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What about mackinnon who refuse To go To baie Comeau because it was 100% speaking french City...

Drouin said To all his teammates last game that it was on him...it is not enough for you. It is more than enough for me because that his teammates did nothing the entire game and drouin was by far the best player on the ice..

Btw after he went To the ahl...he came back and was the best player for tampa during that epic 7 games séries vs pittsburgh.

Talk To anybody who knows drouin and galchenyuk personally and ask them who is the primadonna....you Will be surprise..
Drouin has major league talent but that’s not going to be enough. I don’t care about a teenager not wanting to play in a certain city. I do care about a Young NHL player who tells Steve Yzerman that he refuses to report to the AHL team. That shows the character of this player. I stand by my views on Drouin. He needs to grow up

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I understand the difference, I find specific posts particularly objectionable, like suggesting NHLers are too soft for hockey and should try figure skating. I found it rude and adding nothing of substance and I felt compelled to make the post I did, you felt compelled to take a personal shot back at me instead of simply reporting it. I have no issue with that, at all.

I was just trying to get your attention. There a level of disrespect that's escalating, and there's really no need for it. One can still shred a post without making it personal as well. That was the root of my objection, and I apologize if I was overly sarcastic.

You seem to be an intelligent guy - I'm sure you'll be a great poster here.

Reactions: Pickles and cphabs

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Drouin must be sad he's losing all his favourite buddies:

image.jpg

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I am very happy with the way he's been playing. Compared to last year he looks hungrier and slightly more responsible. Playing him with Shaw I think works out well as even the biggest Drouin fans know he's not going to go into the corners.

I was vocal about his poor play last year and at the start of this year. I'm happy to eat some crow, but I still want to see him put up numbers over a whole season more akin to someone of his talent.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I am very happy with the way he's been playing. Compared to last year he looks hungrier and slightly more responsible. Playing him with Shaw I think works out well as even the biggest Drouin fans know he's not going to go into the corners.

I was vocal about his poor play last year and at the start of this year. I'm happy to eat some crow, but I still want to see him put up numbers over a whole season more akin to someone of his talent.

He is very passionate. It sometimes doesn't seem like it, but he is. He still needs to mature, be more consistent and dedicated to the big picture... but he is showing some great promise this year!

Reactions: Cobra Commander

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Drouin has major league talent but that’s not going to be enough. I don’t care about a teenager not wanting to play in a certain city. I do care about a Young NHL player who tells Steve Yzerman that he refuses to report to the AHL team. That shows the character of this player. I stand by my views on Drouin. He needs to grow up

I think you are bang on that he is lacking some maturity. I think it shows on the ice as well. I guess I'm a positive guy, so I think he will gain in maturity and improve all around.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Jonathan drouin gives us what we were asking since p.k left....a show.

The anti french players dont want To admit it but he is by far the most spectacular player on this roster.

He is frustrating at times and far from Perfect...

But jo!!! Continue to skate like the wind....continue To try To deke with success or not and please keep confidence in yourself...

And the most important thing....continue To make the anti french players furious!!!!!

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Yes he did screw up last game with his penalty but that goal he scored reminded me of Lafleur. The guy is talented. He can be frustrating at times with his soft passes but he can also be a game changer with his speed alone.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

The anti french players dont want To admit it but he is by far the most spectacular player on this roster.

But jo!!! Continue to skate like the wind....continue To try To deke with success or not and please keep confidence in yourself...

And the most important thing....continue To make the anti french players furious!!!!!
Considering this roster, it really doesn't mean much.
He's shown some flashes..that's about it for me. Hopefully those flashes start taking his game over more often.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

Stupid post, nobody here is anti French. Every real Habs fan here would rather Drouin perform well.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
There are obvious biases for different reasons, which is fine, people can fan however they want. I have my own, we all do.

I don't live in Quebec so I won't even pretend to understand the political aspect of how hometown players are perceived by different factions within the fan base. I don't even think or know that's been a huge factor with Drouin, I think it's just a perception/expectation thing. Something about Drouin just leaves people wanting more and for whatever reason, Domi who I find to be a very similar player in a lot of ways, at least a player with reasonably similar flaws, is pretty beloved.

I loathe NHL real time stats, the numbers are totally flawed, arbitrary and weird but Drouin has more hits than Domi, less giveaways, more takeaways and yet Domi gets no heat and Drouin is so polarizing, usually with the complaints being about his lack of physicality and his number of turnovers. Not arguing that Drouin brings a better physical game than Domi because he doesn't, just found it somewhat interesting.

Anyway, I don't really know what it is with him that bothers a large number of fans so much. Last year's debacle? Understandable but also reasonable for him being put in a new position on a zombie team to struggle, IMO. I don't really think he dogs it, I do think he makes pretty bad reads and bad decisions at times but that's just his game. Hockey sense is an important skill and his is only alright. He turns the puck over, especially on the PP but it just looks to me like the PP is poorly ran and him and Domi are basically charged with gaining the zone while everyone else stands still so yeah, it looks bad at times. The 1 on 3 stuff he does can definitely be annoying. I seem like I'm defensive of this player when really, I just think he's an important element on this team but a guy who will never be a star.

We'll see, if the production dries up again it'll be tough to justify his role. He needs to produce but when he does (and he is) it's really nice to have that high-end skill in the lineup. The Boston game is a good example, team looked like it wasn't going to break through and he does something that only he can do and it injects life into the team. You need that and yes, I'm aware that he pissed the game away being stupid but one of those issues is fixable and the skill isn't teachable. The good has been heavily outweighing the bad this season and when that changes, we can reassess IMO.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
There are obvious biases for different reasons, which is fine, people can fan however they want. I have my own, we all do.

I don't live in Quebec so I won't even pretend to understand the political aspect of how hometown players are perceived by different factions within the fan base. I don't even think or know that's been a huge factor with Drouin, I think it's just a perception/expectation thing. Something about Drouin just leaves people wanting more and for whatever reason, Domi who I find to be a very similar player in a lot of ways, at least a player with reasonably similar flaws, is pretty beloved.

I loathe NHL real time stats, the numbers are totally flawed, arbitrary and weird but Drouin has more hits than Domi, less giveaways, more takeaways and yet Domi gets no heat and Drouin is so polarizing, usually with the complaints being about his lack of physicality and his number of turnovers. Not arguing that Drouin brings a better physical game than Domi because he doesn't, just found it somewhat interesting.

Anyway, I don't really know what it is with him that bothers a large number of fans so much. Last year's debacle? Understandable but also reasonable for him being put in a new position on a zombie team to struggle, IMO. I don't really think he dogs it, I do think he makes pretty bad reads and bad decisions at times but that's just his game. Hockey sense is an important skill and his is only alright. He turns the puck over, especially on the PP but it just looks to me like the PP is poorly ran and him and Domi are basically charged with gaining the zone while everyone else stands still so yeah, it looks bad at times. The 1 on 3 stuff he does can definitely be annoying. I seem like I'm defensive of this player when really, I just think he's an important element on this team but a guy who will never be a star.

We'll see, if the production dries up again it'll be tough to justify his role. He needs to produce but when he does (and he is) it's really nice to have that high-end skill in the lineup. The Boston game is a good example, team looked like it wasn't going to break through and he does something that only he can do and it injects life into the team. You need that and yes, I'm aware that he pissed the game away being stupid but one of those issues is fixable and the skill isn't teachable. The good has been heavily outweighing the bad this season and when that changes, we can reassess IMO.
IMO I think it is this way because Domi works hard and people like blue collars. That said, both are carrying this team to a Playoffs spot right now, with a terribad defense and atrocious goalies (Price is 34th amongst goalies, for sake). Everyone thought the Habs were gonna have a hard time and the only glimpse of hope was Price... So, let's hope Price wakes up and Domi and Drouin keep lighting it up and we should be in the Playoffs !

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Totally disagree...in fact a lot of people on this forum bash him....because...he is French. The guy as the same number of points so far than Toews...20 points in 24 games

He was by far... the best player ont the ice for the team last game..... before his penalty ... and he played a lot better games so far than bad games...be objective please..

French players treatment...give me a break..look at Hudon... you must be one of those yellow people (as Gainey said who booed Brisebois at the time)

In this province there is some dumb French people who loves only French players and I hate that...and there is the opposite also...some dumb people from the west Island (who does not speak French at all ..wow) who hates French players

Jees I am tired of all of this
Aren't you the guy that said that the only player more talented that Drouin was Crosby?

I for one would have preferred we retain the young puck moving dman over Drouin but alas what is done is done. Drouin has been all over the place in the 1 and a 1/4 season he has played in Montreal. He will never live up to the hype some have put on him and I still think he should be placed as far from center as possible.

I also don't think he is getting any extra "hate" because he is French and more because he has been all over the place and to a lesser extent he is getting hate that should be placed on Bergevin for trading for him and then insisting on him playing center instead of getting a true center the summer they acquired him. I for one am a Hudon supported and wish he was given more of a chance by the coach.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Aren't you the guy that said that the only player more talented that Drouin was Crosby?

I for one would have preferred we retain the young puck moving dman over Drouin but alas what is done is done. Drouin has been all over the place in the 1 and a 1/4 season he has played in Montreal. He will never live up to the hype some have put on him and I still think he should be placed as far from center as possible.

I also don't think he is getting any extra "hate" because he is French and more because he has been all over the place and to a lesser extent he is getting hate that should be placed on Bergevin for trading for him and then insisting on him playing center instead of getting a true center the summer they acquired him. I for one am a Hudon supported and wish he was given more of a chance by the coach.
I said in the past that Drouin performed almost on Crosby's level in Juniors and the stats back that up. But he had McKinnon with him, so ... But I was one that believed he had the talent to be a Franchise player in the NHL. That said, he hasn't lived up to these expectations, and I doubt he will.

I think people hate him for his selfishness and inability to play a well rounded game. But other call him a figure skater and that is why I responded in this thread, to try and stop this insanity. You can dislike a player but when it crosses the line it feels like people hate for the wrong reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad