Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Blue White Red Dead Redemption Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Don't forget we needed offensive skill as well which Drouin would create. It's the same garbage both ways.
We had zero need for an inconsistent top 6 player with questionable attitude. Now...bringing him on if we retained Radu+Markov made our depth more interesting and open up trade options. That's why most were pleased with the deal.
If we knew we were just getting Drouin, along with losing Radu+Markov, people would have much preferred keeping Serg.
I was saying mid-season how if we aren't re-signing Radulov, we should opt for full rebuild, and we should have.

Overworm

Oct 13, 2019
He’s been answering to the critics off the ice and on the ice in one of the hardest market to play in...so far he’s put his money where his mouth is, so what the heck do you guys want from him? Skate on water??? I swear GET.OFF. IT... This is why NO STAR PLAYERS WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH MTL. The Tavares, Point, Marner, Panarin, Duchene of the hockey world are avoiding MTL like the leagues plague. Don’t be pissed that Bergevin can’t sign the big guns in the off seasons when you aren’t making it any appealing to be here in the first place. And mark my words, the players outside know how you treat your own talents. So yeah keep it up with that great attitude. For years you guys been yapping about how the Drouin - Sergachev trade was a bad trade and that we should have kept Sergachev but let it be known real quick that he didn’t want to have anything to do with us after realizing what was the downsides of playing for that market and the unforgiving fans. In Drouin you have a hometowner, who truly wants to play here, treasure him.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
To early to tell. I'm not a fan of the player but I don't have an axe to grind either. I need to see him perform through the inevitable fluctuations of the whole season. What surprised me thus far is that he seems to be able to function within a context of a line. It gave me headaches trying to picture the line compositions where he's not paired with Domi and that created problems defensively. Right now he's very good at picking his spots. He lets Kotkaniemi and Armia do their things and doesn't try to be a play driver at all costs, and when he does, it's usually effective.
I also don't have an axe to grind. If Drouin's performance and compete level stay more consistent, opinions should be adjusted accordingly.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He’s been answering to the critics off the ice and on the ice in one of the hardest market to play in...so far he’s put his money where his mouth is, so what the heck do you guys want from him? Skate on water??? I swear GET.OFF. IT... This is why NO STAR PLAYERS WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH MTL. The Tavares, Point, Marner, Panarin, Duchene of the hockey world are avoiding MTL like the leagues plague. Don’t be pissed that Bergevin can’t sign the big guns in the off seasons when you aren’t making it any appealing to be here in the first place. And mark my words, the players outside know how you treat your own talents. So yeah keep it up with that great attitude. For years you guys been yapping about how the Drouin - Sergachev trade was a bad trade and that we should have kept Sergachev but let it be known real quick that he didn’t want to have anything to do with us after realizing what was the downsides of playing for that market and the unforgiving fans. In Drouin you have a hometowner, who truly wants to play here, treasure him.
It's been 5 games..............easy does it. I would love to see him hit 80-90 pts this year but.........

As for your theory of ufa's we will agree to disagree. Fan expectations in every city is the same, they want their stars and highest [aid players to perform. Drouin was awful last year when he was needed.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
"Treasure him" :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Someone photoshop JD's face on this and caption it "Treasure him!" please lol
415Bi%2BEnCaL._SY346_.jpg

Or JD: National Treasure
220px-Book_of_secrets_post.jpg

Reactions: Runner77

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
He has gone on hot streaks before where he looks engaged.

Perhaps he suddenly figured something out and will score 200 points this year, although I'm not ready to make that call 5 games in.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Perhaps he suddenly figured something out and will score 200 points this year, although I'm not ready to make that call 5 games in.
You don't get it bro....He watched videos with DucheDuche this summer. It was an epiphany, a true wow moment.

Reactions: Runner77

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm pretty sure everyone agrees he's playing well. We just want him to sustain this effort.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He’s been answering to the critics off the ice and on the ice in one of the hardest market to play in...so far he’s put his money where his mouth is, so what the heck do you guys want from him?
A full season of consistent play. If he does that, there won't be any problem.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your rant because quite frankly, it was nonsense. Inconsistent players get criticized. News at 11.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
They were showing stats on RDS that he was 2nd amongst forwards for blocked shots and was 2nd only to Danault for back checking. I think that kind of stuff speaks louder than the points IMO. Last year he had points but he was trying to go through 4-5 players every second shift. This year he's much more engaged at both ends and seems to be taking a simpler path up the ice, whether that be through a pass or straight line.

If you look at the goal he scored on Saturday it was rushing off the bench, straight up the middle and shot on net. I feel like last year he would have tried to deke the d man out, if he was even there at all.

I know it's only early in the season but the intangibles are looking good and that's what I find encouraging.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

The funny thing is he started last season with 7 points in his first 8 games which would have been good for 72 points. I'm not surprised the media is riding this story already but the real test for JD will be the 2nd half of the season. Can he keep the pace for 82 games? He had good stretches in the past even with TB where he killed it in playoffs for a short while. Can he keep his focus for the ~100 games a season + stanley cup playoffs run last? That's the real question. All players have highs and lows but JD lows are too far apart from his highs so far in his career to be a reliable core piece.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I'm going to veer away from the free agent attraction tangent, and just focus on drouin here.

While it's promising what he's doing so far, the questions are far from answered. He needs to stay in this form for far greater than 5 games.

The answer he's provided me so far is that he is at least capable of playing with a head on his shoulders without losing his flare. Thats a start.

It will take the whole season to answer my questions. The one that concerns me most right now, is whether his last 20 games was a result of him running out of gas, and if so, is he even more prone to fizzling out this year with the way he's playing so far?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's been 5 games..............easy does it. I would love to see him hit 80-90 pts this year but.........

As for your theory of ufa's we will agree to disagree. Fan expectations in every city is the same, they want their stars and highest [aid players to perform. Drouin was awful last year when he was needed.
Joined yesterday, look the other way.

Reactions: Edgy and Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad