Jonathan Drouin back to life?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His speed was indeed a major asset earlier in his career. I don't know how he skates now but I think he tried to bulk up too much in Montreal, the speed burst was mostly there only in the first year with the Habs.
Yeah, and, honestly, even in that first year (which is when I watched him most) he had lost a step. He was blazing in TB. There would only be a handful of guys in the league with better speed. He was easily the fastest guy on our team, but that was before Point's skating fully developed. I think Drouin, then, was pretty close to as fast as Point is now. And for all the talk of Drouin's puck wizardry, most of his best moments in TB came when he caught guys flat-footed and blew by them.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I just watched the Avs/Pens game. This is by far the best I've ever seen J Drouin look in his NHL career. He actually looks like the superstar projected in the draft. Even before the OT winner, he was hungry for the puck toward the end of the 3rd period, very confident looking and full of everything that great ones have when they're "on."

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
To be honest this season really isn't out of his norm. The guy's career points average over 82 games is 48.4. This year he currently has 46 points, on pace for 54, which is 1 point better than his best seasons (one with Tampa, one with Montreal). Change in scenery, some better linemates and some PP time with some of the best players in the world and that seems about right.

I'm not knocking him down or anything, I just know first hand as a Habs he always had the potential, he just couldn't stay in the line-up and would get super defeated when he made mistakes or the team was down. His last 4 years he played 58, 34, 44, and 27 games. He's averaged missing over half the season for 4 straight years. No one's going to notice you or be happy with your performance in that situation. 2019-20 he actually had a great start before getting absolutely demolished by Ovi.

Don't want to get into his personal life, but obviously anxiety affected his performance. Wish he could have been around for the cup run to lift his spirits, but I think the proceed collapse of the team and loss of all but 4 or 5 players on the team would have nulled any progress.

So yeah, I'm happy but I don't really know if he's made any drastic changes or anything. He's always had in him and he's playing with some good players. Colorado has had some great success in reclamation projects like Nichushkin and taken other players (from worse teams mind you) and give them the chances to succeed. They did the same thing with Lehkonen, too. Just a really great system there, and I bet Drouin is benefitting from some of MacKinnon's motivation and high expectations.

Reactions: Shark Finn and abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He showed so much skill in TB that it was surprising he couldn't put together a career in Montreal. If it hadn't been for the attitude issues (not saying that as a knock; it's just what it was at the time), I think he and Kucherov would have worked magic for years. I can only imagine Drouin-Point-Kucherov, if Drouin had continued his early trajectory.

As it is, I felt good about Colorado bringing him in, given his history with MacKinnon, and I'm happy to see him get his career back on track. Honestly, if he fully realizes the potential he showed in Tampa Bay, this is just the tip of the ice burg.

Wouldnt it be crazy if he had his big break when entering his 30s ? Nichushkin did it a little earlier, but he did it late too.

Like you say, Drouin is an interesting case of "what if" he had stayed put in Tampa? The contrast between Montreal and Tampa Bay as a team, the media, etc couldnt be bigger.

As others said already, its not like he didnt try hard in Montreal. Things just never seemed to "click", and one of those thinfs might be that he meshes well with talented players.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
On pace for 53 points which would match his previous career high. Seems to have had a couple of season where he didn't play too much but still managed to get some points. What's the deal?
Injuries and some off ice issues we don't know the details on. Drouin was always a top 6 quality offensive player in Montreal but couldn't seem to catch a break and he really didn't look happy. Also he's a poor defensive player which is a good way to get in a coach's doghouse and the fans were really vocal about that flaw too. I'm not sure if it's because Drouin never met the fans' expectations in Montreal or what but I don't recall any other winger who would get that amount of criticism for poor defensive play (which wasn't really even egregiously poor). He was never a bad player but I feel both him and the Habs are better off now with him out of the organization.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
To be honest this season really isn't out of his norm. The guy's career points average over 82 games is 48.4. This year he currently has 46 points, on pace for 54, which is 1 point better than his best seasons (one with Tampa, one with Montreal). Change in scenery, some better linemates and some PP time with some of the best players in the world and that seems about right.

I'm not knocking him down or anything, I just know first hand as a Habs he always had the potential, he just couldn't stay in the line-up and would get super defeated when he made mistakes or the team was down. His last 4 years he played 58, 34, 44, and 27 games. He's averaged missing over half the season for 4 straight years. No one's going to notice you or be happy with your performance in that situation. 2019-20 he actually had a great start before getting absolutely demolished by Ovi.

Don't want to get into his personal life, but obviously anxiety affected his performance. Wish he could have been around for the cup run to lift his spirits, but I think the proceed collapse of the team and loss of all but 4 or 5 players on the team would have nulled any progress.

So yeah, I'm happy but I don't really know if he's made any drastic changes or anything. He's always had in him and he's playing with some good players. Colorado has had some great success in reclamation projects like Nichushkin and taken other players (from worse teams mind you) and give them the chances to succeed. They did the same thing with Lehkonen, too. Just a really great system there, and I bet Drouin is benefitting from some of MacKinnon's motivation and high expectations.

Lehkonen was always a good two gay with a good motor, and his offense was already trending upwards even before he got to Colorado. I wouldn't say he was a reclamation project.

I'm sure the Habs would have hung on to him if they weren't in a rebuild mode.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He’s the epitome of a guy who can add a lot of value to a good line but can’t carry or drive a line by himself.

If he has space he will make things happen, but if he can be keyed on he will be shut down. Playing with the avs he is able to be free from the toughest matchups and he’s able to thrive.

In mtl where he was counted on to be a top producer it didn’t work out, among other reasons
That's the main point really. You nailed it. He's a good complementary player who turns into a less than adequate player if relies upon too much. It's totally fine and even sometimes great if you know what you're getting with him.

He's always had those flash too even with the Habs. He's a world class dangler with a ton of speed.

Reactions: Plastic Joseph

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Bergevin decided to make this guy our 1C. Not the fans/media.

And the fans/media were really kind to him all things considered. He was left alone for the most part. It could've been waaaaaaaaaaay worse.
Anyone's entitled to their opinion, but I do not agree at all. People were calling him names everywhere, on instagram, on facebook, etc. The media even had to come out, when he had to take a mental break, to tell people to stop harrassing him all the time.

Criticism is fine, he didn't play well a lot of the time and seemed disinterested. But most of the comments I saw about him were just terrible.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Wouldnt it be crazy if he had his big break when entering his 30s ? Nichushkin did it a little earlier, but he did it late too.

Like you say, Drouin is an interesting case of "what if" he had stayed put in Tampa? The contrast between Montreal and Tampa Bay as a team, the media, etc couldnt be bigger.

As others said already, its not like he didnt try hard in Montreal. Things just never seemed to "click", and one of those thinfs might be that he meshes well with talented players.
IIRC, They did try to make them the 1C in MTL but it just wasn't working.

The Canadiens then tried to fit Drouin in as a centre to become the No. 1 pivot for which they’d been looking for decades, when it was fairly clear that wasn’t going to work. The way they tried to repurpose Drouin on the fly made it seem as if Drouin had more in common with a piece of used furniture than an at-the-time upstart 22-year-old hockey player. Needless to say, that’s not how you should treat a young player on the upswing, let alone the player you’re presumably hoping becomes the face of the franchise. - thehockeywriters.com

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Playing with great players in a city where he lives in total anonymity.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Another in a long line of unfairly made scapegoats in Montreal. The hate he received at times was absolutely dreadful.

Glad Colorado is working out for him, he always had the talent.
He had no hate outside of people voicing their displeasure for his on ice play on hfboards , he was supported by the local media and casual fans for almost his entire tenure , this narrative needs to stop lol

That said I'm happy for the guy he seems like a good kid. Some guys just can't handle playing here and that's ok

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

I think this misses the mark a little bit.

You’ve mentioned that this season is not outside the norm for him, but in reality, it really is.
The offensive production from a high level LOOKS similar, but it isn’t. Drouin started off the year with like 6 points in his first 22 ish games. He’s got 40 points in his last 47 games. That’s probably the best he’s put together over his career.

Secondly, and by far the reason why his play is outside the norm, is his play away from the puck. I think most Colorado fans expected the semi decent production of 40-50 points. What’s significantly different this season than almost any other season, is his dedication to his 2 way play. He’s forechecking non-stop, he’s EASILY one of the best back-checkers on the team, and where he used to shy away physically, he’s now consistently engaged physically, throwing hits and challenging the more difficult areas of the ice.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
IIRC, They did try to make them the 1C in MTL but it just wasn't working.

Well at the start, but it quickly became evident that it wasnt working, and he spent most of his time with the Habs on the wings.

But there was no Mackinnon or Rantanen on those teams, and I'm not saying this in bad faith. Montreal was playing a lot of dump and chase and turtling hockey over his tenure.

Offensive creativity was discouraged and teammates like Gallagher, Anderson had a very crude offensive instinct.

Sometimes it just works like that. Interestingly enough, Tatar had his best moments in the same system that crippled Drouin, but couldnt hack it in Colorado.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He started the year out struggling as well. I didn't think he would improve. He's probably near a point per game from when it all clicked for him to now.
Yeah, he's got 38 pts in his last 43 games, so almost PPG in that time. He only had 8 pts in his prior 26 games, including a horrible start where he only had 1 assist in his first 10 games. Pretty crazy turnaround, looks like things really started to click for him around mid-December.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Lehkonen was always a good two gay with a good motor, and his offense was already trending upwards even before he got to Colorado. I wouldn't say he was a reclamation project.

I'm sure the Habs would have hung on to him if they weren't in a rebuild mode.
Not to mention, reclamation projects tend to no be acquired for a 1st rounder and a 2nd round pick.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Said this when eh signed there, its the perfect situation.

- Relative anonymity
- Media isn't on you 24/7
- Playing with MackInnon, so he has a level of comfort/support
- Avs come across as a top tier organization especially for guy looking to revive their careers.

Reactions: Spirits

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

This post is a coping mechanism. Maladaptive at that.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
This post is a coping mechanism. Maladaptive at that.
What exactly am I coping from? I just sung praise for Colorado's player management and how they can utilize players to their maximum. Said Drouin couldn't have a future with Montreal after missing over half the games over the last four years. Are you implying I'm upset he left? There is no alternative reality where he stayed, and if he didn't he wouldn't be playing this good. I'm just happy for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad