Confirmed with Link: Jonathan Dahlen to San Jose for Linus Karlsson (87th overall 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Dahlen will probably outproduce Karlsson at every level, they're different types of players. Karlsson does have more of an NHL style game though that may translate to bottom 6 success if he doesn't develop into a scorer.

Karlsson is also very young still. 19-22 can be a big growth time. Dahlen is probably going to peak out in the next 2 years.

Likely Karlsson will be the worse offensive player but you never know.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dahlen was junk. Slow, small, soft perimeter player who was useless in the AHL at ES. Pretty clear why Ottawa bailed and why that Burrows deal was nowhere near as good as it was made out to be.

I know nothing about Linus Karlsson. Stats don’t look great, seems to have some jam to his game as he’s leading his team in PIM as a teenager. Hopefully he can skate.

Re-cycling Dahlen into a younger prospect not a bad move at all.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
Dahlen will probably outproduce Karlsson at every level, they're different types of players. Karlsson does have more of an NHL style game though that may translate to bottom 6 success if he doesn't develop into a scorer.

If this is true... and I have to assume you have enough knowledge of the two players... then I'm ok with the deal. I'll take a player who has the potential to let his talent define the role rather than being limited to one role by his talent.

Gotta go with Gradin on this one... I don't know any better. And, he clearly has earned some deference.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
We could have sold Tanev, Hansen, Burrows, Bieksa, Kesler, Hamhius at peak value if Benning was aggressive enough. Instead he sat on his hands and let their value diminsh.

I mean.... we did though. Kesler was sold almost immediately, Bieksa got a far better return than anyone would've opened for. Hansen was sold after completing a 22 goal season, Burrows was already past his peak by the time Benning got here, and I'm fully happy with him being there to help pass along the culture to players like Bo. And given how plainly reluctant Hamhuis was willing to waive at the deadline, it's unlikely he would've wanted to uproot and leave midway through his contract.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
I mean.... we did though. Kesler was sold almost immediately, Bieksa got a far better return than anyone would've opened for. Hansen was sold after completing a 22 goal season, Burrows was already past his peak by the time Benning got here, and I'm fully happy with him being there to help pass along the culture to players like Bo. And given how plainly reluctant Hamhuis was willing to waive at the deadline, it's unlikely he would've wanted to uproot and leave midway through his contract.

We didn't sell those guys at peak value. Simple as that. Benning waited and let their value diminsh.

FYI Hamhuis said he would have been willing to waive in the offseason if the Canucks asked.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

This is my opinion as well. I don't think Dahlen will ever develop his game into the NHL. I see him as a future Euro league player. Karlsson at least has the potential to be a bottom six guy.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This is definitely all Gradin, if its any worth, Karlsson tore up every level has been in before making it to Swe-1, also 6'1 RH centre.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
We have two scouts that we should give benefit of the doubt to.

Gradin and whoever is overseeing the US minor leagues.

And MS is right, I'd rather see them move on when they still can than try and force something out of a prospect that's clearly busted.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Haven't seen Karlsson play this year. But his upside is a defensive center, decent size and has never been scared to go to the net.

Dahlen who in Sweden did all of his work close to net, has looked scared all year and not been close to the net except for on the PP. I thought Dahlen would be a player but this year really soured me on him.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Pettersson when he finds out about this:

pettersson-stare.png

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Yup he's in the Allsvenskan this season. Karlskrona was relegated from the SHL by Timra (Dahlens team) last season, so he did play in the SHL as an 18 yr old.

Right, so last year he played 13 games on the worst team in the SHL immediately before they got relegated, and now he's struggling to produce in the Allsvenskan?

Have I got that right? Legitimately trying to figure out the upside on Linus and why I should be excited about him. Getting a cup of coffee in the SHL in his draft year doesn't seem like much of a reason.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Huh, I'll reserve judgment as I don't know anything about Karlsson. Could end up being like the Granlund for Shinkaruk trade that looked bad at the time but aged well.

Just crappy because Dahlen looked to be improving in the AHL, coupled with his previous chemistry and friendship with Pettersson, as well as our desperate need for wingers.

Actually, from what I'd been reading from the Utica fans, Dahlen's uptick evaporated pretty quickly after his concussion, turning him into a timid, perimeter player. There were also questions about his skating.

Don't know much about Karlsson, but he is a bit younger, so he's got some time on his side. Looking at his numbers this year, he's going to need it.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
If this is true... and I have to assume you have enough knowledge of the two players... then I'm ok with the deal. I'll take a player who has the potential to let his talent define the role rather than being limited to one role by his talent.

Gotta go with Gradin on this one... I don't know any better. And, he clearly has earned some deference.

I watched one game, so not really much to go on. He was absolutely dominant on a terrible team in Junior last year though. My main concern is that his scoring may have come from using his physical tools, which will not translate as well as pure scoring.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
At some point last off-season, EP diplomatically tried to say the bond between him and Dahlen was overstated anyways, and that they don't train together or anything. I'm sure he's not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.

Reactions: Josepho
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad