Injury Report: Jonathan Bernier

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Seems odd to me that bernier wouldn't have been practicing all summer in these new pads. If he had he would have, the irritation would have occurred during the summer rather than now one would assume

They just got the new pads in September.

SteveV*

Belfour must have said the same thing when his hand got infected in Pittsburgh :p
--

Jeff O'Neill is the ultimate tool, this guy has the nerve to call other players lazy, he was the laziest player I've ever seen, could have been so much better than he was.

O'Neill is a riot, when he played for us he was lazy, going through the motions, an entitled waste of ice time. You listen to him now with the "old school" stuff, he must think all the tape of him was burned.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Mar 12, 2009
I didn't mind O'Neil as a player, but I have not been able to stand the guy since seeing him on OTR. Can't quite pin point it, but he seems to have an weird kind of attitude when he talks.

Also, isn't he the one that was afraid of flying or something? I'm sure it's a legit phobia of his, but one could spin that as "won't travel with team, has character issues".

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I didn't mind O'Neil as a player, but I have not been able to stand the guy since seeing him on OTR. Can't quite pin point it, but he seems to have an weird kind of attitude when he talks.

Also, isn't he the one that was afraid of flying or something? I'm sure it's a legit phobia of his, but one could spin that as "won't travel with team, has character issues".

Yeah it was Jeff who was afraid to get on planes.. apparently Bozak has a fear of flying too.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Belfour must have said the same thing when his hand got infected in Pittsburgh :p
--

Jeff O'Neill is the ultimate tool, this guy has the nerve to call other players lazy, he was the laziest player I've ever seen, could have been so much better than he was.

O'Neill is a riot, when he played for us he was lazy, going through the motions, an entitled waste of ice time. You listen to him now with the "old school" stuff, he must think all the tape of him was burned.

I don't know what it is about him now but it just seems like that old man who used to live next to you and if your football/soccer ball went over the fence you knew he was not going to give it back just to be a jerk.

Shame too because I really love Noodles and liked listening to Leafs Lunch when it was just Hayes and Noodles. Maybe Ferarro said he was done with doing radio and they needed to replace that polarizing voice.

Anyways that is my 2 cents.

As for Bernie looks like he should be fine which is a good thing him going down in pre season would of sucked.

snizzbone*

No but listening to TSN1050, hayes/mclennen/oneil are trying to spin this as Bernier character issues. They've also been ripping Kadri for hitting Pageau and then getting into a scrum last night. Gotta love the TO media.

Wait what.. Pageau hit Kadri.. after the whistle.. and then Kadri basically gave him a little shove and Pageau flipped ****. That was 100% on Pageau trying to prove something because of his size.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Wait what.. Pageau hit Kadri.. after the whistle.. and then Kadri basically gave him a little shove and Pageau flipped ****. That was 100% on Pageau trying to prove something because of his size.

Kadri got off scott-free there - hilarious that Gabriel got a double-minor and Clarkson got a minor for doing nothing but yap. :laugh:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Good grief. In their lead-in to the second half hour of SportsCentre, TSN just stated that "one of the Leafs' biggest offseason acquisition misses practice with an undisclosed injury" -- and then proceeded to play the clip where Carlyle described it as an irritation to his knee. I guess to the Toronto media, even when the Leafs do disclose an injury, it is still undisclosed. :shakehead

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Thanks guys. It confused me as to why he wouldnt be practicing in them if he had them, that cleared it up though

Yeah, the players committee didn't finish approving the new pad changes until late in the summer...and then it takes some time to get pads made. For us mortals wait time on a custom set is 3-4 months, obviously its much faster for NHLers! But how fast I don't know? I'm guessing there were alot of pads to make.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
O'Neill is hilarious and entertaining on the radio. That being said, his memory's not too good, looking back to his lazy ways with the Leafs.

Media's gonna Media

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Since Bernier had this problem prior to the game and was still able to play the 1st period was that a good or bad? The fact he was able to play sounds like a good sign, however did he possibly make the injury any worse than it already was because he played?

wulfio*

Since Bernier had this problem prior to the game and was still able to play the 1st period was that a good or bad? The fact he was able to play sounds like a good sign, however did he possibly make the injury any worse than it already was because he played?

it's called preseason. he had an irritation. it's preseason. so why play?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
should add

james mirtle ‏@mirtle
carlyle doesn't expect bernier to miss more than today's skate but doesn't have all the info yet.

b4932_orig-ohhh.gif

lmfao!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Leafs' Bernier, Kadri to hit ice for weekend series against Sabres

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/2...-to-hit-ice-for-weekend-series-against-sabres

Bernier was not there Friday, but the coach revealed he has a unique knee “irritation”.

“It’s from new equipment he’s wearing, part and parcel to the (NHL mandated shorter pads). They’re new and they irritated the top of his knee cap. I don’t have a really true explanation, but that’s what I was (told) by the medical and training staff and what’s necessary to correct it now.

“I’d think he’ll be off the ice just for today, but medical people sometimes have a different opinion.”

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
O'Neill is hilarious and entertaining on the radio. That being said, his memory's not too good, looking back to his lazy ways with the Leafs.

Media's gonna Media

He's kind of positioning himself as a modern Don Cherry, doing the straight shooter thing. It's entertaining to hear him moan and groan like an old geezer...

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Its the cool thing to make fun of the leafs. I don't know why I listen anymore but its the only leafs radio show I know at noon. They constantly mock them. Still don't get how they take issue with kadri throwing a big hit and getting into a scrum. They criticize kessel for being soft yet when a skilled player like kadri goes in the corner they take issue with it.

It's funny because now you're actually spinning the media's words and making something out of nothing. Hayes was merely saying that he hopes Kadri isn't dropping the gloves on a regular basis or acting tough in scrums because he has Clarkson to back him up. He doesn't want to see Kadri get hurt, rather he be healthly and stick to putting up points.

Hayes and O'Neill are Leafs fans, jeez...don't get so butt hurt when a media member makes fun of a Leafs players. It's all in good fun and shouldn't be taken seriously. Man, I thought Leafs nation would have thick skin by now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad