Kings News: Jonathan Bernier to TML for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens, & 2nd ('14 or '15) (pst#276)

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Pretty fair in general but Voracek numbers in Philly are better than Carter's in Philly. .753 vs .744 and i would argue defensive play has to go to Voracek. And off ice attitude too if you believe reports. Not sure how this translate to adding 8th overall and another pick.

Voracek has played for two years and carter was with the flyers for six years. In fact it hasn't even been two years it's been 1 1/2 years. That's kind of an unfair comparison. And how is voracek better defensively? Carter plays on the PK and plays with Richards who often gets the toughest defensive assignments. Maybe in 5 years you can compare the two but a half season of elite play for Voracek does not mean he is equal to Carter.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Carter has the edge in numbers. Voracek just completed his 5th year in the NHL. Through 5 years for both players.
GP G A Pts +/-
Voracek 367 79 150 229 +5
Carter 381 145 132 277 +24
Live in Philly, Flyers fan for over 40 years and have been a Kings fan since the mistake of trading Richards, and having seen all of Carter’s games and all of Voraceks as a Flyer, Carter is the better defender in all 3 zones by a margin. Voracek is an outstanding and explosive offense talent who is a lot of fun to watch. A great offensive player. But Carter is just as talented offensively, has a much deadlier wrist shot is a very very strong 2 way player, very solid on both sides of the puck. Jake, not so much , average to adequate.

The Flyers were in very capable hands with Carter and Richards, who as young players helped drive the team to 2 Conference finals (2008, 2010) and a SCF in 2010. The Flyers haven’t won a cup because of GOALTENDING, not Carter and Richards
And great at Clarke was, without Bernie Parent, no Cup then either. The Flyers Achilles heel for almost 30 years now has been goaltending. Homer’s poor management of the team, drafts and trades has put them in a bad position, esp CAP wise. They had a very good team in 2010, all they needed was to trade Leino (asking for $$$$) and get a top notch goalie. They chose not to , gutted the team instead and set themselves back years.

The Kings win the trade short term and long term. Without Richards, no Cup last year and an early exit this year. Dean has crafted a very good team, one of the youngest in the league and identified on the day of the Richards trade that he now had what he called the ‘four foundations’ of what a team needs to win and be a contender (positionally). A stud goalie, an elite defensemen and 2 stud centers. Because of that trade and the Carter trade, they’ll be contending for the Cup for years.
The Flyers are an incomplete team, no map, no outline or path, always a crap shoot, a ‘quick fix’ to ‘win now’ and swinging for the fences gets you more strikeouts then homeruns.

Exactly ^.

With Carter and Richards the Fliers go to the finals twice and were absolutely a top contender. I can't see how it could be argued otherwise.

Jeffler

See You At Game 3
Dec 7, 2006
North York
theleafsnation.com
Frattin never really found his mojo in the NHL (well minus the beginning of the year when he had 7 goals in like 10 games) but he definitely has the potential to be around a 25 goal player. Built like a fire hydrant with speed to burn and a deadly shot. Cons against him are he suffers from tunnel vision (meaning don't expect many assists) and he kinda leaves you wanting more with his physical play (though when he's on he can lay devastating hits).
I'm more sad to see Scribbles go (yes you should all call him Scribbles), I think he had mad potential and is really underrated, but he had a lot of rookie hiccups this year. He seems like a really smart kid though and I don't think you guys will be disappointed. Honestly he always reminded me of Quick, which could ultimately be huge for him and you guys...Scribbles learning from the master.

As odd as it is for me to quote this post of all of them in the thread...

Kings fans, don't call him Scribbles. I've asked him about it before. He doesn't like it as a nickname. Scurvy is his actual nickname but Leafs fans repeatedly ignore it

Luc Gretzky

Jun 24, 2012
As odd as it is for me to quote this post of all of them in the thread...

Kings fans, don't call him Scribbles. I've asked him about it before. He doesn't like it as a nickname. Scurvy is his actual nickname but Leafs fans repeatedly ignore it

I like Scurvy as a nickname, and following that train of thought it'd be funny to call him Limes.

Captain Mittens*

I like Scurvy as a nickname, and following that train of thought it'd be funny to call him Limes.

Yes to those. No to Scribbles.

Scribbles sounds like the name of a hamster with a bladder infection

How about diddles?

alg-chris-hansen-jpg.jpg

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Has Fratts said anything yet?
Fratts sounds like a disease from down under (not the country).

Said the usual on twitter yesterday.

Matt Frattin ‏@Matt_Frattin 23 Jun

Just want to thank @MapleLeafs for a first class experience to start my pro career. Very excited to join @LAKings

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
This team still has the same problem it had the last few years. They have a bunch of gritty forwards, but Kopitar and Carter are the only guys that can score 30 goals on this team. There's to many streaky forwards on the kings. They need to find one more sniper for this team to be a dynasty.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
This team still has the same problem it had the last few years. They have a bunch of gritty forwards, but Kopitar and Carter are the only guys that can score 30 goals on this team. There's to many streaky forwards on the kings. They need to find one more sniper for this team to be a dynasty.

Toffoli is exactly that type of guy though I wouldn't expect more than 20 next year. Vey is too and Pearson should be a 20 goal scorer in the NHL as well.

Our problem is do we bring in talented expensive elite scorers from the outside or do we manage our cap and assets more efficiently by drafting developing and then bringing them on to the team where they start out for the first few seasons being paid much less while establishing themselves.

Its a conundrum because we are surely in a win now mode but to keep players like Quick Carter Richards Brown Doughty and Voynov on the team it means that we have to spread out our expenses every where else.

It would be great to have an established sniper on the team already but I believe we are about to be overloaded with home grown skill players that should join the team over the next two seasons.

With Toffi clearly an elite caliber young skilled forward we have our sniper but he plays RW and we are overloaded on that side. Frattin isn't a sniper by any means but he can score goals in bunches and is a banger for our left side until Pearson comes up.

It is going to be interesting and fun watching our home grown kids step in and become big time players for us and I think it should work out.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013

Toffoli is going to surprise you next year. I'm betting he gets 25+ goals. Mark this post.

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
LoL, I have to ask, what more did you want?

His shoe size.

Just more, any connections to current Kings players, what he will bring to this team, what does he know about the Kings, anything just more. I've been waiting for this deal for a month it feels like, so now I want to know all about this new addition playing for my favourite team. I like that he worked his butt off (rumour) to repair his wrong doings to get back in to school cause that shows character.

Now I'm curious why do you ask?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Toffoli is going to surprise you next year. I'm betting he gets 25+ goals. Mark this post.

Perhaps that would be true if the Kings put him where he belongs, playing as a RW with one of our talented centers. As of now it looks like he is either going to be playing out of position as a LW or playing with Jarret Stoll, neither one of which is good for TT's prospects of scoring 20+ goals next season.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
His shoe size.

Just more, any connections to current Kings players, what he will bring to this team, what does he know about the Kings, anything just more. I've been waiting for this deal for a month it feels like, so now I want to know all about this new addition playing for my favourite team. I like that he worked his butt off (rumour) to repair his wrong doings to get back in to school cause that shows character.

Because it seems hilarious to me that someone wouldn't be satisfied with him thanking his old team and expressing optimism with his new team, especially from a tweet. It comes off as if you want him to grovel and sing us praises. His biography is everywhere for you to look up, I doubt his first reaction would be to tweet his life story, that's what the media is for. I bet Evans will get the biographical interview first thing next season.

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
Because it seems hilarious to me that someone wouldn't be satisfied with him thanking his old team and expressing optimism with his new team, especially from a tweet. It comes off as if you want him to grovel and sing us praises. His biography is everywhere for you to look up, I doubt his first reaction would be to tweet his life story, that's what the media is for. I bet Evans will get the biographical interview first thing next season.

Well where did I say that i was expecting more from his tweet?

I wanted to see if someone has interviewed him and maybe had a link so I could learn more about him as a person. He will be a new locker room team mate.

I wanted to know more about him and source being himself and I'm sick and tired of people assuming things and looking for the dumb posters to attack. Why in the world would you bring up that it looks like I'm coming of as not satisfied with what he said if you don't find it logical. If you don't find it logical then it has to be something else right? Being that I meant that I wanted more info than that he had twitted something right?

I thanked the poster for posting the twitt as his intensions were great but I wanted something else than a tweet. And there probably is not much more out there at the moment.

I'm 46 years old and no one in my age expects a pro hockey player to twitt his inner feelings or post more than two sentences about a trade....thats common sense.

It sometimes feels like people are looking for this and not seeing what was really said here. And this actually what periodically holds me back from posting.

Don't try to insult people when it is totally unnecessary.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Perhaps that would be true if the Kings put him where he belongs, playing as a RW with one of our talented centers. As of now it looks like he is either going to be playing out of position as a LW or playing with Jarret Stoll, neither one of which is good for TT's prospects of scoring 20+ goals next season.

We don't know where he's going to be at this point. However, I still think the guy is talented enough to pot 25.

Ron*

His shoe size.

It's Twitter, you are limited to 140 characters.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Yes to those. No to Scribbles.

Scribbles sounds like the name of a hamster with a bladder infection

If he leaves the crease a lot and his positioning isn't sound then Scribbles would apply because he wouldn't stay within his lines.....if it doesn't describe his play, then I'm for not saying it.. Like calling Doughty Donuts....there was a logic behind it.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
His shoe size.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/06/24/audio-of-frattin-scrivens-conference-call/

Frattin, Scrivens conference call to LAKings.com ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad