Jonathan Bernier - To the AHL on a Conditioning Stint

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvenMittz*

Let him play the 4 game stint then bring him up and start him for 1 game immediately so he doesn't get cold.. And hope he gets a win in the NHL so he can get his groove. Thebbyou just run whoever is hottest.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Let him play the 4 game stint then bring him up and start him for 1 game immediately so he doesn't get cold.. And hope he gets a win in the NHL so he can get his groove. Thebbyou just run whoever is hottest.

Disagree. Reimer is playing too well, he's the starter. On a B2B or something, you put Bernier in but this isn't a "whoever's hottest" when one guy doesn't even have a win yet.

Bernier doesn't need to continuously be treated with kid gloves, he's been coddled enough. Let him earn his way back here and when he sees his next opportunity he takes advantage of it or doesn't.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Disagree. Reimer is playing too well, he's the starter. On a B2B or something, you put Bernier in but this isn't a "whoever's hottest" when one guy doesn't even have a win yet.

Bernier doesn't need to continuously be treated with kid gloves, he's been coddled enough. Let him earn his way back here and when he sees his next opportunity he takes advantage of it or doesn't.

You really don't like Bernier eh :laugh:. Either that or you just really like Reimer.

Anyway, I do kinda agree with you. If Reimer is still going hot, go with him. Then again he might no even be healthy, so that would make it a moot point.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
You really don't like Bernier eh :laugh:. Either that or you just really like Reimer.

Anyway, I do kinda agree with you. If Reimer is still going hot, go with him. Then again he might no even be healthy, so that would make it a moot point.

Haha, it's weird I got someone thinking I hate Reimer in another thread because I wouldn't sign him to a longterm deal if he continues this type of play.

I don't dislike Bernier, I think the events leading to his arrival and other factors have made me extra hard on him. I hope he does well in his conditioning stint and really well here. All I care about is asset value. To us and to other teams.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Bernier looked a lot more relaxed. Not sure why in the NHL he looked jumpy but tonight's Bernier is the old Bernier
his rebound control was good, and was able to calm things down and get the puck whenever the Marlies started running around a bit in own zone

Probably because the team in front of him, and the system they were playing still needed time to mesh.

Was likely just a back and forth confidence issue.
Bernier lets in a soft goal, team loses confidence.
Team makes bad defensive plays, Bernier loses confidence in them.

At any rate, he'll be back up in a bit. I don't think this is who he is. Seems to be the first time in his career ever that he's hit something like this.

Worst thing that happens in this scenario, we lose some more games. Which makes it good for the draft.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Bernier played Nov28 against WSH, not a good game but what can you expect after not playing for 13 days. You had to forget about this game, this was just a game to get warm. But Leafs went to extremes again with sending him down. If there was a time to send Bernier down for conditioning it had to be instead of playing Nov15 in NYR when he didn't played for 15 days after his injury and the game Nov28 against WSH when he didn't played for 13 days. Bernier just got warm on Nov28, he should have played Dec2 in WPG. In the end it was a mistake to play Sparks in WPG, sure there was a chance he could win that game, but he did not. In the end it was a mistake. Same going to extremes that Reimer suffered a groin injury after Nov23 against BOS. Who couldn't expect that after playing 3 games in 4 nights again. And now Leafs get their receipt for misusing both goalies Reimer and Bernier. If Bernier played Dec2 in WPG he would be best conditioned to play today in STL, but he is with the Marlies. Holy Overreaction Leafs. If Babcock wouldn't overuse the goalies everything could be so easy. You have to admit, in the end Babcock's goalie management looks very bad.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Toronto management is very smart.

Yesterday's opponent Rochester is near the bottom of their division and today's opponent Manitoba is also near the bottom of their division and league.

The timing of Bernier's conditioning stint coincides with the Marlies playing against the weakest teams in the AHL.

This is putting JB in a position to succeed and not fail and despite Reimer's day to day injury status they recalled Bibeau to make sure they stay on track with the Bernier rehabilitation plan.

:yo:

Last edited:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Yesterday's opponent Rochester is near the bottom of their division and today's opponent Manitoba is also near the bottom of their division and league.

The timing of Bernier's conditioning stint coincides with the Marlies playing against the weakest teams in the AHL.

This is putting JB in a position to succeed and not fail and despite Reimer's day day to day injury status they recalled Bibeau to make sure they stay on track with the Bernier rehabilitation plan.

To put Bernier in a position to succeed they shouldn't have played him cold in NYR and again cold against WSH and then blame him for bad games. And how can Reimer succeed if he's overused. The main blame shouldn't go to the goalies.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
To put Bernier in a position to succeed they shouldn't have played him cold in NYR and again cold against WSH and then blame him for bad games. And how can Reimer succeed if he's overused. The main blame shouldn't go to the goalies.

I partially agree. Nobody should be thrown in there cold. At the same time, you're a pro, and you are paid to perform.

But dropping Bernier to the AHL, and having two AHL goalies on the big team?

That was a bad decision. I just want #FeelTheBern to get up to snuff, and get back on the big club and show them how it's done.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Perhaps there is a difference with being on one of the best teams in the league, rather than one of the worse?

Bernier was fine on the Cup winning Kings as a back-up.

If he gets his confidence back away from the spotlight and pressure of playing on a bottom feeding hockey mecca, maybe some team will come calling with a decent offer?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

He had focus problems, same thing he's suffered from since he got to Toronto.

Perhaps it is pressure related, like when a player grips his stick to hard and can't get anything done?

Perhaps Bernier lets the pressure get to him to the point simple things become impossible to accomplish?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

Perhaps it is pressure related, like when a player grips his stick to hard and can't get anything done?

Perhaps Bernier lets the pressure get to him to the point simple things become impossible to accomplish?

Yes, maybe it's like that. Nov15 in NYR they should have played Sparks to give Reimer the needed rest in this b2b and at the same time play Bernier 1 game with the Marlies to get warm. Then Bernier could have played Nov21 in BOS to prevent Reimer from playing both games b2b and there would be a great chance that Reimer didn't have to suffer a groin injury.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

This is putting JB in a position to succeed and not fail and despite Reimer's day to day injury status they recalled Bibeau to make sure they stay on track with the Bernier rehabilitation plan.

Not to mention the Leafs will also only play 1 game in the next 10 days. Time for Bernier to practice and for Reimer to heal.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Bibeau in the AHL this year: 0.869
Bernier in the NHL this year: 0.888

So, Bernier has a better save percentage in the NHL than AHL, yet they still called up Bibeau and left Bernier to rot. Amazing. Says what the management and coaching staff thinks of it.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

So, Bernier has a better save percentage in the NHL than AHL, yet they still called up Bibeau and left Bernier to rot. Amazing. Says what the management and coaching staff thinks of it.

They made a decision that Bernier needed some time in the AHL to work on his game and they are following through. Has nothing at all to do with Bibeau or any other goalie, it's what they think is best for Bernier at the moment.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Its not about the save percentage at all. They know bernier is without a doubt skilled among the two...it's about getting his mental fortitude back. Trust me when you are in a funk as a player sometimes the only thing that gets in your way is your own head. I've seen it eat people away. As Lebrun pointed it out, it's very rare for people to accept Conditional stints but Bernier knew what was up and hence he whole heartedly accepted it.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

All fair questions... He was amazing his first year in Toronto a question I have because I don't recall is how was he playing before the "Mandella" incident. It seems things changed between the ears from that point on.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
All fair questions... He was amazing his first year in Toronto a question I have because I don't recall is how was he playing before the "Mandella" incident. It seems things changed between the ears from that point on.

Anyone have his record pre Mandela and post Mandela?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

I dont think its got anything to do with the Mandella thing, but rather constantly getting shelled night after night. He broke. Reimer broke. Reimer found his game again and Bernier hasnt been able to recover

How is a 10 day conditioning stink "leaving him to rot"?

His game was clearly in shambles. He needs this

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Dubnyk last year played about 23 games in a row.
Schenider played around 13 or so games n a row for the Devils (or even around 19 - it was a heck of a lot)
Pavelec last year played a tonne of a games in a row near the end of the season (especially when Hutch was struggling)

this is off the top of my head. so this thing you have going about being overused and etc etc. needs to stop. Babcock is not the only one who rides their goalies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Dubnyk last year played about 23 games in a row.
Schenider played around 13 or so games n a row for the Devils (or even around 19 - it was a heck of a lot)
Pavelec last year played a tonne of a games in a row near the end of the season (especially when Hutch was struggling)

this is off the top of my head. so this thing you have going about being overused and etc etc. needs to stop. Babcock is not the only one who rides their goalies.

:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad