Jonathan Bernier - To the AHL on a Conditioning Stint

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
he will comeback and become the number 1 right away :nod:

Unless Reimer stops posting ridiculous numbers that's not likely to happen he'll come and be the backup. Right now Reimer is easily the better goalie, the way he's playing right now he's the better goalie on most teams.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Why are you making things up? I have said before I will gladly eat crow if Reimer turns out to be better. I'm allowed to think Bernier is better. Seriously, why do people get so worked up when someone else has a different opinion?

It's not nostalgic to think 2 years sample size > quarter season sample size. You're using a very short term memory to completely disregard Bernier and pump Reimer's tires.

I'm not some Bernier "fanboy", I just think he's better. Is having an opinion allowed or did I somehow end up in North Korea over night?

You can have that opinion, I disagree with it and that's why we have a discussion. I actually think Bernier will bounce back and be good. I just think Reimer is the better goalie and gets trashed and dismissed on this board far too often.

Maybe that's what makes his good play of late so nice to see.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Right, no doubt that Neuvirth's SV% will stay at .947 and never regress back to his career average of .912. Why wasn't every team competing for him? Why isn't Philly starting him every game?

But Raanta is .978! Why settle for Neuvirth when we could have traded for Raanta at the cost of a B-prospect. This guy is going to break every goalie record this season.

Lenny's logic does not always follow typical conventions lol.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
No offense, but this is what I really have a problem with on this topic the last few weeks. No it's not fact that Reimer was mishandled. It's an opinion. Just like it's an opinion that there are reasons for his bad play over those years, and not a fact.

I mean, I'm willing to wait and see these theories tested so I'm absolutely not discarding the idea. You have to separate the facts from the opinion though.

There is no doubt that Reimer was one of a number of players that was mishandled. Is there any debate that Grabovski was mishandled as well? Carlyle has a history with deciding he doesn't like a particular player and simply giving that player no rope, no way back into his good books. He admitted he made a mistake in how he handled Lupul in Anaheim when the two were reunited in Toronto. MacArthur was also cast aside despite being one of our hard working and productive players consistently for a few seasons, and proceeded to go to Ottawa and regain his pre-Carlyle form.

I agree with you that it's hard to state it as a hard fact since you can't show it empirically in a causal sense. But the stats of the players in question seem to provide implicit evidence. Grabovski, MacArthur, and Reimer all played poorly under Carlyle once they found their way into his bad books and none of them were able to find their way back under him, while going on to largely have more success away from him. That is reflected in their stats. There is no denying their regression, and sure, they have to own their own play, but there is a strong indication that it was largely caused by Carlyle's handling of them.

(Add Nonis's clueless and impersonal handling of roster decisions--prioritizing an "upgrade" at the goalie position while largely ignoring the team's glaring flaws by bringing in Bernier and absolving everyone while in essence scapegoating Reimer--and you have a pretty compelling body of evidence).

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
Reimer posted a .870 SV% and 3.60 GAA down the stretch when we needed him most. Those numbers are worse than Bernier's are this year. Let that sink in, and it happened when our season was on the line.

Over what stretch of games was that? Just trying to see how it fits. He was bad but don't recall it seeming that bad over an extended run of games.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

but leafs fans can rest assured that at least one of the men in charge in toronto doesn’t find any of this the least bit confounding. Lou lamoriello was asked about the black arts of the blue paint in an interview with tsn before thursday’s 1-0 loss to the wild. And given that lamoriello is a big part of the management group that invested $4.15 million a year in bernier — given that bernier will continue to earn that nhl hefty salary when he starts in rochester on friday — you might think lamoriello would have waxed humble about the uncertainty that comes with projecting the performance of goaltenders. But no.

“i don’t know if it’s as hard as people think,” lamoriello told tsn’s mark masters, speaking of assessing netminders. “you assess it on winning. That’s the only way you can assess it, and also how your team is playing in front of him. It’s a combination of both.”

as science-y as that explanation sounded, one supposes it’s easy to believe finding a franchise goalie is a cinch when you’ve spent the bulk of your life as an nhl executive with martin brodeur commanding your crease.

The goaltending picture in toronto, of course, hasn’t been hall of fame-worthy since ed belfour made his late-career appearance in blue and white. But for most of the coming couple of weeks it at least promises to be clear cut. Barring injury, there won’t be much question about who’s going in goal on any given night.

Thursday’s loss saw james reimer make his first start since missing three games with a groin injury, and he figures to be the go-to option for the time being. The maple leafs lifer, who doubles as dubnyk’s off-season training partner, made 27 stops on 28 shots. Dubnyk one-upped him precisely, making 28 of 28.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
This is what I posted several days ago. It is not fair to the rest of the players on the team who are working their bums off and trying as hard as they can to have a non NHL caliber goalie in the nets. I realize there are very few posters on this site who have ever actually played hockey but for the few of us who have we know how utterly deflating it is to have a goalie who lets in soft goals every single game.

Pretty sure Reimer has done that in the past, while Bernier didn't. Like the 13-14 season, where, we were kind of in the playoff hunt, Bernier got injured, Reimer, lotsa softies.

Either way, if Bernier had to agree to it in order for it to happen, nothing but respect for the guy.

While yes, the Leafs did have a ton of energy and gusto to their game at the start of the season, they have little to no firepower in comparison to other teams.

They hit a hot streak for a bit, now they've dropped 2 in a row. That defeat in Winnipeg was just humiliating.

To say Bernier is not an NHL caliber goalie, is ridiculous. He is. He is that caliber. Did he have some gaffs? Yes. Obviously. But a lot of players do.

Does that mean every single time Ovechkin has 2 goals in the first 10 games, that he must be demoted? No.

I'm frankly surprised the Leafs pulled this one off. Because if I was a GM of a decent team, I would've claimed him in a heartbeat. His numbers throughout his career have proven that he can do it. His term and salary is reasonable based upon his past performance.

Tell the team to quit crapping the bed in front of him every game, and you'll likely see him start getting a bunch of W's.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Pretty sure Reimer has done that in the past, while Bernier didn't. Like the 13-14 season, where, we were kind of in the playoff hunt, Bernier got injured, Reimer, lotsa softies.

Either way, if Bernier had to agree to it in order for it to happen, nothing but respect for the guy.

While yes, the Leafs did have a ton of energy and gusto to their game at the start of the season, they have little to no firepower in comparison to other teams.

They hit a hot streak for a bit, now they've dropped 2 in a row. That defeat in Winnipeg was just humiliating.

To say Bernier is not an NHL caliber goalie, is ridiculous. He is. He is that caliber. Did he have some gaffs? Yes. Obviously. But a lot of players do.

Does that mean every single time Ovechkin has 2 goals in the first 10 games, that he must be demoted? No.

I'm frankly surprised the Leafs pulled this one off. Because if I was a GM of a decent team, I would've claimed him in a heartbeat. His numbers throughout his career have proven that he can do it. His term and salary is reasonable based upon his past performance.

Tell the team to quit crapping the bed in front of him every game, and you'll likely see him start getting a bunch of W's.

I don't think he goes through waivers or anything.

He is on loan for (i think) only 14 days for the purpose of conditioning. I think he still gets his NHL pay as well. He can't stay down there; it's not like the team can hide him down there.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

The 13-14 season was when Bernier let in the goal from the Canes blue line and cost us the game.

That was one example of quite a few softies from him that year.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Aaaaand up next are the Blues, Devils, Lightning, Sharks, and Kings.

Let's see if that comfort translates into wins.

Let's see what exactly? The likely hood of this team beating any top team like the Kings, Blues etc are slim. As long as they play hard and don't get absolutely thrashed I'll be happy. I didn't watch the game yesterday but just read the game report..the Leafs outshot Minnesota 13-0 during a large span of the game, to me this team is showing that it clearly plays better in front of Reimer, and that will continue against these better teams coming up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Has he played a game for the Marlies yet?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Since Bernier became a leaf:

Bernier: 113gs, .916sv%, 76pt team record pace
Reimer: 105gs, .917sv%, 85pt team record pace

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He was misused and now he's not being misused and the difference is pretty telling. The trade for Bernier was unnecessary and frankly, dumb.

i disagree whole heartedly.
maybe for Bernier -
but going for another goalie wasn't unnecessary or dumb imo.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Aaaaand up next are the Blues, Devils, Lightning, Sharks, and Kings.

Let's see if that comfort translates into wins.

lol.

let's see .. have you checked out the leafs roster lately? or the fact that they can't score a goal right now?

they are certainly playing better as a team, however they lack top end goal scoring talent that makes a difference in this league.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
If he gets his confidence back and a bit of fire in his belly, he could come back and we could have another goalie controversy. He's still got talent and good technique, but it depends if his brain can be fixed.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
i disagree whole heartedly.
maybe for Bernier -
but going for another goalie wasn't unnecessary or dumb imo.

For Bernier specifically, it was dumb. If they acquired Price-like goaltending or someone that was a clear upgrade, not dumb.

Regardless, goaltending wasn't a top priority that offseason. I'm not sure how Nonis could look at game 7 (which we were only in because Reimer won game 6) and say goaltending is our biggest need.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
lol.

let's see .. have you checked out the leafs roster lately? or the fact that they can't score a goal right now?

they are certainly playing better as a team, however they lack top end goal scoring talent that makes a difference in this league.

He wants Reimer to score against those teams or Bernier should get the net back. It's only fair because of pedigreez.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'm rooting for Bernier.

I still see loads of potential there if he can figure it out. Devan Dubnyk was a similar case.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
If he gets his confidence back and a bit of fire in his belly, he could come back and we could have another goalie controversy. He's still got talent and good technique, but it depends if his brain can be fixed.

Yeah he got that chance for certainly I agree. More fire like his arm tats (they are not only tats, but need to be an inner strength and spirit also). Don't take so many arm tats if you big old poo nanny. It's all about the attitude. Also uh, Bernier only gets a chance to prove himself if reimer/when reimer fails le miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad