Jonathan Bernier - To the AHL on a Conditioning Stint

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Dubnyk last year played about 23 games in a row.
Schenider played around 13 or so games n a row for the Devils (or even around 19 - it was a heck of a lot)
Pavelec last year played a tonne of a games in a row near the end of the season (especially when Hutch was struggling)

this is off the top of my head. so this thing you have going about being overused and etc etc. needs to stop. Babcock is not the only one who rides their goalies.

End of the season for Pavelec is totally different than Reimer in the first 2 month of the season.
Dubnyk played 2 consecutive games in Oct and Nov last season only once. Apples and Oranges.
That Schneider is able to play many games doesn't mean that Reimer should be able too. Fact is, Schneider was pulled 4 times in Oct and Nov last season, especially when playing b2b and maybe he didn't give it all because his stats are worse. Till Nov23 last season Schneider was .914, Reimer this season was .934, Reimer played in a different universe.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Dubnyk last year played about 23 games in a row.
Schenider played around 13 or so games n a row for the Devils (or even around 19 - it was a heck of a lot)
Pavelec last year played a tonne of a games in a row near the end of the season (especially when Hutch was struggling)

this is off the top of my head. so this thing you have going about being overused and etc etc. needs to stop. Babcock is not the only one who rides their goalies.

This. I played pro as a goalie, and it's non-sense to say he is over played.

To add to your list:
Holtby = 73 games
Quick = 72 games
Rask = 70 games
Schneider = 69 games
Price = 66 games

Every goalie on that list has at worst a 2.30GA and a 918 S%

Holtby had Nine games off the entire year FFS, and people argue Reims is tired? Even if he played every game for the rest of the season, he can't match those numbers.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
End of the season for Pavelec is totally different than Reimer in the first 2 month of the season.
Dubnyk played 2 consecutive games in Oct and Nov last season only once. Apples and Oranges.
That Schneider is able to play many games doesn't mean that Reimer should be able too. Fact is, Schneider was pulled 4 times in Oct and Nov last season, especially when playing b2b and maybe he didn't give it all because his stats are worse. Till Nov23 last season Schneider was .914, Reimer this season was .934, Reimer played in a different universe.

Holtby averaged 9 games on, 1 game off.... Same with Quick and Rask.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Holtby averaged 9 games on, 1 game off.... Same with Quick and Rask.

The amount of games means nothing. important are the rest days between games, but Babcock didn't even let Bernier and Reimer rest, that's why they got injured during practise.

The amount of games means nothing, it's all about intensity. As if most marathon runners can run faster than 2:10.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The amount of games means nothing. important are the rest days between games, but Babcock didn't even let Bernier and Reimer rest, that's why they got injured during practise.

The amount of games means nothing, it's all about intensity. As if most marathon runners can run faster than 2:10.

:facepalm:

because you know, it's not long Babcock wouldn't be working with their sports science department, the trainers and the goaltenders to do what's best for the team and for them. Oh no. Babcock just ignored all of that, and didn't let them rest and that's why they got injured.

what a bunch of hooey.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Or they got injured because injuries happen in hockey.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Or they got injured because injuries happen in hockey.

Exactly. Especially groins with goalies. It's a horrible injury because you normally feel perfect in 2-3 days, however, you're not. It's very hard to judge such an injury when you feel 100%.

We could always use his own argument against him.... I blame Reimer for coming back to early, and not stretching enough before practice, also working TOO hard in practice :sarcasm: (that's a complete joke over sarcasm, so please don't bash :laugh: )

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Exactly. Especially groins with goalies. It's a horrible injury because you normally feel perfect in 2-3 days, however, you're not. It's very hard to judge such an injury when you feel 100%.

We could always use his own argument against him.... I blame Reimer for coming back to early, and not stretching enough before practice, also working TOO hard in practice :sarcasm: (that's a complete joke over sarcasm, so please don't bash :laugh: )

I've heard that stretching/not stretching actually has 0 correlation to injury.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I've heard that stretching/not stretching actually has 0 correlation to injury.

I was joking, but I don't think that is correct.

Like I can do the splits.... but I am close to 40 now, so I just can't drop into them as I could at 15. I need to stretch first, than I can. Without stretching, pretty sure I would tear something....

I could be wrong though, just opinion over fact.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

Like I can do the splits.... but I am close to 40 now, so I just can't drop into them as I could at 15. I need to stretch first, than I can. Without stretching, pretty sure I would tear something....

I think what's written above is right. Anything with the groin can feel fine until you're in the game and it's not. Stretching or no stretching groin injuries can persist for a while. They really can kill careers.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I think what's written above is right. Anything with the groin can feel fine until you're in the game and it's not. Stretching or no stretching groin injuries can persist for a while. They really can kill careers.

Oh I know. I was a goalie for 20 years ;)

Read my above comment on groin injuries... I have had probably a dozen.

I was just saying that personally, I feel stretching is a better idea over not stretching. You can stretch all day and still get injured 100%, but I think you would get injured more if you didn't stretch.... that's all.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Oh I know. I was a goalie for 20 years ;)

Read my above comment on groin injuries... I have had probably a dozen.

I was just saying that personally, I feel stretching is a better idea over not stretching. You can stretch all day and still get injured 100%, but I think you would get injured more if you didn't stretch.... that's all.

Oh that was you! I was referring to your post. Haha.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It's going as well as it possibly could have so far. Granted, it's the AHL, but if he had let in 2-3+ goals in both games im sure we'd be a lot more concerned.

Hopefully sending him down gave him a kick in the butt and motivates him, instead of crushes his confidence. The guy has good raw talent, but is a bit small and can get stuck on bad runs.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
It's going as well as it possibly could have so far. Granted, it's the AHL, but if he had let in 2-3+ goals in both games im sure we'd be a lot more concerned.

Hopefully sending him down gave him a kick in the butt and motivates him, instead of crushes his confidence. The guy has good raw talent, but is a bit small and can get stuck on bad runs.

I still think he can be a starter in the league. Let's hope he can pull it all together here, the conditioning stint was clearly a good decision by management.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Like they said on Leafs Lunch, what's really important is how Bernier responds in the first period of his next Leafs start. Good conditioning stint so far...

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Marlies win 9-0. 9 Different Marlies scored. Including......... Drum roll!!!!!!........ Rich Clune! Lol

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Youre not wrong. It is really about warming up getting limber and yes it prevents injury. All professional athletes warm up for a reason.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
how many actual saw his 2 games?

Yeah I saw it. Wasn't busy, but made the tops he needed to make. Some of the shots were pretty tricky, but he was calm in net. I also loved the way Nylander congratulated him after his shutout today. You can tell the kid is just having fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00