Player Discussion Jonas Hiller (Title Updated Jan 20/16)

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Definitely not the goalie I expected to see signed but can't be upset about this. There's absolutely no reason to "feel bad" for Rämö either, if he wants the starts he just needs to be better than Hiller. And vice versa. Competition in goal is always a good thing.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Just how serious is appendicitis? Anyone been there before?

Someone on CP said that this seems very minor and should only take a few weeks for it to heal.

EDIT: Here's the post. (He's a funny guy too).

This isn't a big deal, its not like it exploded and spread a deadly bacterial infection through his system causing his organs to liquify.

Its minor surgery, the recovery time is two or three weeks, and a day of wicked awesome painkillers.

Plus if you ask nicely they let you keep your appendix.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Just how serious is appendicitis? Anyone been there before?
Serious pain, but you're back on your feet within a week - and that's if you're not a professional athlete.

I can't see this affecting his off-season training at all. Good thing it didn't happen in January, I suppose, might have been in a hunt for a playoff spot or something...

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
I had it. It's routine ****. Was back playing baseball and swimming within a couple of weeks.

It seems like Hiller wants to bring in his own choice of goaltending coach. Reto Schürch of the Rapperswil-Jona Lakers confirmed having talked with the Flames organisation, but nothing is yet signed.

Though Hiller seems to trust him I don´t really think this would be a good choice since Schürch was the coach of the absolutely worst goalie tandem in the league (88 SV%). To be fair, they also had the worst defense in professional sports in front of them.

Then again it could mean that we´re going all-in on McDavid/Eichel:naughty:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It seems like Hiller wants to bring in his own choice of goaltending coach. Reto Schürch of the Rapperswil-Jona Lakers confirmed having talked with the Flames organisation, but nothing is yet signed.

Though Hiller seems to trust him I don´t really think this would be a good choice since Schürch was the coach of the absolutely worst goalie tandem in the league (88 SV%). To be fair, they also had the worst defense in professional sports in front of them.

Then again it could mean that we´re going all-in on McDavid/Eichel:naughty:
Even goalie coaches can't work miracles. If he works well with Hiller and helps him regain his confidence then this could be a brilliant move

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
For those of you interested, Hiller in his new colours :
Jonas%2BHiller%2BFlames.jpeg

Jonas%2BHiller%2BFlamles.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I really like the fact that we've got pretty much the only goalie in the NHL with colourful pads this season. Everyone is going with white with coloured slashes, and Hiller brings out these beauties.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I really like the fact that we've got pretty much the only goalie in the NHL with colourful pads this season. Everyone is going with white with coloured slashes, and Hiller brings out these beauties.

White is an advantage. Wow... that sounded much worse after I typed it out.

White pads are an advantage. It's more difficult to see openings compared to brightly colored pads.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013

White pads are an advantage. It's more difficult to see openings compared to brightly colored pads.

Yet it is pretty much proven that you shoot at wher you look at, especially if you have less time to target. This is why so many goaltenders in football, handball, etc. wear bright colors.

Different studies have shown that colors do have all kind of effects.

Aug 3, 2010
Those pads are beautiful. Once upon a time, goaltenders actually had really interesting pads/gloves/blockers, not just the sad whitewash we have now.

Not sure how well Hiller might perform in his time here but at least he brings some style to this club.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Tonnes of baseball players wear Phiten necklaces to give them an advantage, too. I hope you can understand why I'm skeptical of what athletes consider an "advantage." Sounds more like a theory that people believe because it makes a certain amount of sense, not because it's been proven.

fallsviewafro*

Tonnes of baseball players wear Phiten necklaces to give them an advantage, too. I hope you can understand why I'm skeptical of what athletes consider an "advantage." Sounds more like a theory that people believe because it makes a certain amount of sense, not because it's been proven.

There's a huge difference between pseudoscience mumbo-jumble babble with magical bracelets being worn as accessories by the dude out in left field who may or may not even touch the ball for several innings.... and the perceptual distortion created by white-on-white directly in the goal in a game of inches.

Not saying it's 100% legit - I still remember Trevor Kidd and his horrendously unique kit - but you're comparing apples to oranges.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There's a huge difference between pseudoscience mumbo-jumble babble with magical bracelets being worn as accessories by the dude out in left field who may or may not even touch the ball for several innings.... and the perceptual distortion created by white-on-white directly in the goal in a game of inches.

Not saying it's 100% legit - I still remember Trevor Kidd and his horrendously unique kit - but you're comparing apples to oranges.

You're correct about that, and right to call me on it.

But still, I think it's valid to be skeptical on something like this. The fact is that athletes do look for any kind of advantage they can find. Even if it's just a hope that they're getting an advantage. And this is the sort of thing, with a nice, intuitive rationale like it has, that would spread easily among athletes. Until I see concrete, statistical evidence, I will remain very skeptical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad