Player Discussion Jonas Hiller (Title Updated Jan 20/16)

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Guy has to be a real star for the Swiss after 2010 but cannot play in the NHL any more he's slowed down too much, doesn't challenge shots properly, and the vertigo had a pretty decent effect already.

Hopefully the fans there enjoy seeing him play no matter how he does (I can't see him being a top goalie in that league unless he's able to start having fun again).

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Has anyone been hated this much by flames fans before? Bouwmeester? Kotalik?

Meh. The guy was an obvious stopgap on a two-years deal and he got this team to the playoff and rd2 last year. Sure he was awful this year and worse than Ramo/Ortio, but fat chance they would've made it even if they played the other two all year. Solid career, worst possible end.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
3 year deal? Ummm do they realize he can't make a glove save anymore?

I think someone mentioned they don't have guaranteed contracts like the NHL in the other main boards thread. I am not sure if this is true.

Hiller's legs still work quite well. But yes, his upper body movement is extremely slow, and seems highly inaccurate. I seriously wonder if the vertigo is back with a vengeance this season. His body language this season is different than last season.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

tumblr_nfa09poOt21sao59co1_400.gif

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Meh. The guy was an obvious stopgap on a two-years deal and he got this team to the playoff and rd2 last year. Sure he was awful this year and worse than Ramo/Ortio, but fat chance they would've made it even if they played the other two all year. Solid career, worst possible end.

Tons of people, depending which group of fans. Stajan when he first came over, Kotalik for sure, Bouwmeester probably (thanks to that contract), Bertuzzi by some groups, Jokinen, and so on. If anything I think most of those guys took more flak because that was when we all expected the Flames to be competitive, so seeing Jokinen make a loop around the offensive zone then give the puck away or ring one off the post was substantially more infuriating.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Bouwmeester got a lot of **** from some of the fans because he wasn't putting up points, but honestly, he was probably the most defensive responsible player the Flames have had in 20 years. I would kill to have him back on the Flames.

Only Flame I hate is Brett Hull. Spoiled little child.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I can't speak on behalf of how other fans feel, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate the guy. Frustrated, hell yeah, but I don't hate him.

If anything, I'd be more hateful towards Hartley for constantly putting him in when he's clearly no longer capable of being an NHL goalie.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Bouwmeester got a lot of **** from some of the fans because he wasn't putting up points, but honestly, he was probably the most defensive responsible player the Flames have had in 20 years. I would kill to have him back on the Flames.

Only Flame I hate is Brett Hull. Spoiled little child.

Yeah, I agree that the only real issue with JBo is that he was overpaid by about 50%. Although I would say that although he was one of the better defensive dmen on the team while he was here, I don't think he was any more responsible than Regehr was, or Gio/Brodie currently are. Actually, Brodie defensively reminds me a lot of JBo currently, with just a little more bite (and I think he's actually better at it). Bouwmeester would be the perfect guy to complete the top 4, though, for sure.

*Backlund. Also, if we're including forwards, I think Backlund might be the most defensively responsible player the Flames have had in the last 20 years.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah, I agree that the only real issue with JBo is that he was overpaid by about 50%. Although I would say that although he was one of the better defensive dmen on the team while he was here, I don't think he was any more responsible than Regehr was, or Gio/Brodie currently are. Actually, Brodie defensively reminds me a lot of JBo currently, with just a little more bite (and I think he's actually better at it). Bouwmeester would be the perfect guy to complete the top 4, though, for sure.

*Backlund. Also, if we're including forwards, I think Backlund might be the most defensively responsible player the Flames have had in the last 20 years.

Stephane Yelle would like a word with you.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011

Chris Butler received a huge amount of crap. He wasn't a great D-man by any stretch but a lot of the blame should've been directed at Brent Sutter for playing him 20+ mins a game.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007

Tons of people, depending which group of fans. Stajan when he first came over, Kotalik for sure, Bouwmeester probably (thanks to that contract), Bertuzzi by some groups, Jokinen, and so on. If anything I think most of those guys took more flak because that was when we all expected the Flames to be competitive, so seeing Jokinen make a loop around the offensive zone then give the puck away or ring one off the post was substantially more infuriating.

Does anyone rememeber Gary Leeman? I'd say that guy would been in big trouble if there was such a thing as the internet back then to organize an angry mob. I remember every flames fan that I knew was angry about that trade.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007

He did good for us one season. Too bad it ended so bad for him. Not a fan of the guy during his time here, but I wish him luck.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad