Player Discussion Jonas Hiller (Title Updated Jan 20/16)

dscott

Mar 1, 2014
Like this signing and the Raymond signing! Sort of feel bad for Ramo, but if he sticks around this year, it'll be a solid 1/2 tandem.

Aug 3, 2010
I'm stoked to see his Flames mask for this season. IMO Hiller had some of the sickest masks in the NHL in recent memory by a long shot. That matte-black with a gold cage was styling, and his Olympic mask was a real beauty as well.

Also, I hope he plays well.

JulianHopper*

I'm pretty stoked to have Jonas Hiller here, Great signing!

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Like this signing and the Raymond signing! Sort of feel bad for Ramo, but if he sticks around this year, it'll be a solid 1/2 tandem.

Healthy competition never hurts. Either way if both play decent we can ship one for assets down the line this season.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
Thought Hiller was going to be the back-up? $4.5M per year is not back-up money.

There is no universe where Hiller backs up Ramo.

Good deal for Calgary. One that I predicted. You needed a real goalie, and Hiller wants a lot of games. He's kind of risky, but risk is something Calgary can afford. Plus you needed to spend money. Makes a lot of sense.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think Ramo and Hiller will be given equal opportunity for a starter role. Last year, Ramo was the better goalie, but Hiller has shown more overall in his career. I still remember that game he had for Switzerland against Canada.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I think Ramo and Hiller will be given equal opportunity for a starter role. Last year, Ramo was the better goalie, but Hiller has shown more overall in his career. I still remember that game he had for Switzerland against Canada.

Pretty much, they'll both gee starts early on till one of them runs with it.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
There is no universe where Hiller backs up Ramo.

Good deal for Calgary. One that I predicted. You needed a real goalie, and Hiller wants a lot of games. He's kind of risky, but risk is something Calgary can afford. Plus you needed to spend money. Makes a lot of sense.

This.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

"There is no universe where Hiller backs up Fasth."

"There is no universe where Hiller backs up Andersen."

Hiller was surpassed twice in Anaheim by relative unknowns (compared to his lofty self, of course). You can't discount the possibility that Ramo outplays Hiller like he did last year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Hiller was surpassed twice in Anaheim by relative unknowns (compared to his lofty self, of course). You can't discount the possibility that Ramo outplays Hiller like he did last year.

Yep. The two will be competing for the starting role. You guys should know by now Hartley demands people earn their spot.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

Bingo. If Hiller becomes the back-up we are cursing this contract. Tho they clearly had to overpay to get the short term.

Time will tell I guess. I like that Treliving and co. and trying to improve this team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bingo. If Hiller becomes the back-up we are cursing this contract. Tho they clearly had to overpay to get the short term.

Time will tell I guess. I like that Treliving and co. and trying to improve this team.

I think we'd be cursing the contract if it was a longer term, but on a two-year deal I feel it's pretty irrelevant. We gave what we had to in order to get him signed, and signing him strengthens our team significantly regardless of which goalie becomes the alpha.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Not really its only a 2 year deal. The worse case is Hiller sucks and Ramo starts while we use Hiller's cap hit to stay above the floor. There isn't a lot of risk.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I don't mind the signing, but I think Ramo will bury Hiller by the midway point of the season. He's more athletic, doesn't have any health problems (vertigo), not to mention he's four years younger.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC

Since when is Gibson an unknown? He's been one of the most hyped goaltender prospects in a long time.
I personally think that Hiller recovers and becomes the starter for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad