Player Discussion Jonas Brodin

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
@RussoStrib: Jonas Brodin leads all #nhl defensemen with a plus-16. No other #mnwild player has higher than a plus-7

Fun stat - remember to take with a grain of salt. Plus/minus is one of those wonky stats that doesn't make sense without context. :)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I think a lot of the context is the fact that no other player is above +7.

It's interesting because Brodin hasn't been exactly racking up points. Guess he's not really getting one of those last touches before goals are scored, but he's still one the ice/contributing.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's interesting because Brodin hasn't been exactly racking up points. Guess he's not really getting one of those last touches before goals are scored, but he's still one the ice/contributing.

It's more telling of the fact that he's on the ice for very few goals against (at ES, at least). We don't score enough for him to be +16 otherwise.

He's back to playing like himself, on the defensive side anyway. Still hoping that offensive game comes with it. He's too good and too smart for it not to come eventually.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Pretty much. His play at the blue line right before Pominville scored last night was severely underrated. I'd like to see him jump in on the rush a little more, but everything else is coming along very nicely.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Pretty much. His play at the blue line right before Pominville scored last night was severely underrated. I'd like to see him jump in on the rush a little more, but everything else is coming along very nicely.

I think as long as he plays with Suter, he'll never be all he can be. It's a lot like the Weber/Suter situation in Nashville, where Suter could never show he was so good because he was being hindered by Weber being as good as he was, if that makes any sense.

Give him his own line and let him play 20-25 minutes a game still and I think he'll take huge strides.

Then again maybe it's just because he's young and is leaning on Suter too much. He doesn't know he can jump into the rush and be that guy because he assumes that's Suter's job.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

He's been on the ice for 24 ES goals for (6th on the team), but only ES 8 goals against (only Carter/Fontaine are regular players with less goals against, and they play bottom-6 minutes). Also been on for 2 PPG for and 5 PPG against.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
The only goals Brodin is ever on against seem to be deflections off his skate or shots into a wide open net he almost blocks.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014

I agree, he seems to be leading rushes a bit more recently and when he does he's very fast going north and so fluid and slippery going east and west, but he's still afraid to go to the net or shoot, as he's afraid of getting caught out of position. He's still very conservative which at his age is not a bad thing.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Fell backwards / checked into the boards. Wasn't sure if head hit boards or if it was shoulder. Looked bad

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
This guy has terrible luck. He gets injured all the time on fluke plays or illegal checks that he could do nothing about.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Why did people want him to get into a scrum when it was his first game back from an "upper body injury" He was actually being wise.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Easily my favorite Wild player. Do you think he will ever see any #1 defenseman offense develop? Or will he continue cementing himself as a mobile defensive #2 guy who eats minutes, plays defensively, but scores on the lower side?

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Easily my favorite Wild player. Do you think he will ever see any #1 defenseman offense develop? Or will he continue cementing himself as a mobile defensive #2 guy who eats minutes, plays defensively, but scores on the lower side?

That is the question that I keep asking myself. I think that as he matures, he will realize his mobility is elite and that he can be more aggressive with the puck because he has the wheels to get back. I think he is still in the mindset of deferring to Suter and not making mistakes. He can walk the blueline, he can enter the zone, etc....it's just up to him to recognize those opportunities and have the confidence to do so, imo.

It's hard to realize hes just 21 years old...I would be shocked if he does not start putting up the points by the time hes 25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad