Player Discussion Jonas Brodin

space321

May 11, 2011
He noticeably lacked confidence ever since breaking his jaw… He had the yips ever since then - doing anything to get rid of the puck to not get hit - even if it meant chipping it up the boards to the opponent several times every game...

Yah I noticed that too. He would be really quick to get rid of the puck up the boards and sometimes it would lead to a bad turnover.

Still the kid averaged 24 minutes in his second season (first full one).

TheTimeKnife

Mar 11, 2014
Oregon
Kid did great this year, if we where talking about any other 20 year old defensemen it would be a successful season, he just set expectations so unreasonably high his first season. Kid was great at the start, improved from last year, got injured and took some time to get back into his groove. His biggest problem this year was trying to get rid of the puck, he is a great defensemen who plays like a 3rd pairing. He wasn't as confident after the injury and demotion which led to most of his mistakes down in the later stretch of the season. However it was very clear he absolutely elevated his game offensively to another level this season, once he got his confidence back in the play offs he played amazingly. With Folin and Dumba coming up, and how well this blue line played in the play offs I genuinely believe we should make no changes to the blue line, its only going to get better and its already top 5 arguably.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
What about Tyler Myers? He won the Calder as a 19-20 year old defenseman, hasn't been able to match that level of play in four seasons.

Brodin relies on his hockey IQ, those kind of players don't fall as much as those who dominates with their size like Myers imo.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Kid did great this year, if we where talking about any other 20 year old defensemen it would be a successful season, he just set expectations so unreasonably high his first season. Kid was great at the start, improved from last year, got injured and took some time to get back into his groove. His biggest problem this year was trying to get rid of the puck, he is a great defensemen who plays like a 3rd pairing. He wasn't as confident after the injury and demotion which led to most of his mistakes down in the later stretch of the season. However it was very clear he absolutely elevated his game offensively to another level this season, once he got his confidence back in the play offs he played amazingly. With Folin and Dumba coming up, and how well this blue line played in the play offs I genuinely believe we should make no changes to the blue line, its only going to get better and its already top 5 arguably.

I agree with everything said except Dumba coming up. I think he'll still need a season, at least in Iowa. There were a few times last season I had to remind myself that Bacon is only 20 when he made a gaffe. I think this mini playoff run is going to do wonders for all our youngsters next season. I would be surprised if Brodin pulls a Tyler Myers and continues to regress.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
He def started the year where he left off, had 6 goals in the like first 10 games. Then he got hurt. I think that we had reAlly high expectations for this guy. I liked spurgeon on the first pairing( idc where we slot him) but yeah Brodin should return strong. Just like doughty has

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Brodin will cost the Wild a fortune...

Why's that? He's not flashy, and doesn't score much.

Very underrated defenseman, which means he likely won't command a huge contract - especially coming off his ELC. Take OEL for example, making only 5.5M per season until 2018-19. Brodin definitely doesn't warrant that contract (not yet, anyways).

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
$18m/4 years is my guess. $4.5m cap hit. Think both sides would be happy with that. Hopefully after those four years are up he'll be good enough to warrant a $7m/per contract but sticks around at a cool $5.5m just because he loves us and loyalty, etc. :)

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
$18m/4 years is my guess. $4.5m cap hit. Think both sides would be happy with that. Hopefully after those four years are up he'll be good enough to warrant a $7m/per contract but sticks around at a cool $5.5m just because he loves us and loyalty, etc. :)

Contracts off of ELCs are almost never four year deals, as it takes them right up until UFA. Teams either try to sign away UFA years by going longer, or go bridge contract to give them a time frame to sign away more UFA years a bit later.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Contracts off of ELCs are almost never four year deals, as it takes them right up until UFA. Teams either try to sign away UFA years by going longer, or go bridge contract to give them a time frame to sign away more UFA years a bit later.

Drat. You're right. Maybe $13.5m/3 years then. Just a guess. Think he stays on the Wild for a long time.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Some of these "bridge" contract speculations for Brodin seem awfully high. For comparison sake PK Subban's bridge was 2yr/$5.75M with a 14 goal season already on his resume. Plus him being a RHD makes him a more valuable player theoretically.
Brodin has done nothing IMO to warrant a $4-5M AAV contract. I'd say something in the neighborhood of 2yrs @ 2.75M per. Let's not give him the farm while he is still cost controlled.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I wouldn't be mad if you were right; I hope you are. I just think that based on his minutes and our other options/drop-off in quality, his agent is going to use that leverage to get a little bit extra.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Some of these "bridge" contract speculations for Brodin seem awfully high. For comparison sake PK Subban's bridge was 2yr/$5.75M with a 14 goal season already on his resume. Plus him being a RHD makes him a more valuable player theoretically.
Brodin has done nothing IMO to warrant a $4-5M AAV contract. I'd say something in the neighborhood of 2yrs @ 2.75M per. Let's not give him the farm while he is still cost controlled.

Suban was drafted in 07 scored 14 goals in 09-10 season.

Brodin drafted in 11 so his 14 goal season following PK time table would be this year. If he had 8 last year after only 2 the year before. He could hit easily hit 10-15 goals 20-25 assists and play the 2nd most minutes. If he gets sone PP time and does well, thats a whole nother chip to add on.

Easily warrenting a 4+ contract per year.

The cap has gone up.

Haula = Lowest
Nino = Coyle middle
Bacon slighty more valuable that Coyle and Nino
Granlund = Highest

Nino is really going to set the table for the others.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I wouldn't be mad if you were right; I hope you are. I just think that based on his minutes and our other options/drop-off in quality, his agent is going to use that leverage to get a little bit extra.

I probably am being a bit optimistic with the $2.75M AAV. The PK bridge was in a year of the lockout/cap reduction, and generally regarded as a bargain. I think that would at least be a good negotiation start. Next season will definitely be an important deciding factor, with this being a contract year. I fully expect him to have a solid third year. If he does, a term like Jarick predicted of 5 @ $5M, I would be okay with. I understand sometimes in negotiating with a young high ceiling player you will have to overpay upfront based on potential.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Brodin is very comparable to OEL. Both Swedish, 6'2, skinny, same playing style, both drafted top 10, both debuted at 19.

OEL had 0.10 gpg and 0.38 ppg and got six years at $5.5m.

Brodin has 0.08 gpg and 0.24 ppg. If he continues to improve and be a #2 defenseman (as most here assume), he's going to get MINIMUM $5m per.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Will Brodin break out this year?

The kid just eats up minutes and looks like an old pro out there, at least on the defensive side of the game. Considering his high icetime, I'm pretty surprised at how few points he got last year. I mean, just by default, you'd think he'd be closer to 30 points on the year.

Being his third year in the league, a typical "break-out" year for elite young prospects, will he put up some points this year? Why or why not?

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Id say probably.
I think his last season was alot better than people are giving him credit for.

Not sure he will get more points this season, but tbh I dont care much about his point production.. Points will probably come if he keeps it up... But if they arent, im just happy if he keeps developing..

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I reckon his point production should be fine. I mean, he looked like an absolute beast when the season started, even better than during his rookie campaign. IIRC he scored points at a very solid rate, contributing offensively and defensively. Just looked a lot more confident, it's like we saw a small glimpse of the future Jonas Brodin.

Then, a puck to the face. A broken cheekbone, and considerable time spent on IR.

After that, shadow of his former self. I mean, when he initially came back, he didn't look like the Brodin we're used to seeing, more like Keith Ballard to be brutally honest. His passes were all over the place and he played more like a shutdown guy, only that he didn't have the physical attributes to succeed in that role. At the time, we thought it was just the bubble limiting his vision, and it probably was at least a part of it. However, when he was supposedly 100%, he still didn't look as good as before. Sure, even a mediocre Brodin is a good defenseman, but his overall play just didn't look as... crisp. It lacked that "Brodin magic", the almost illegally smooth takeaways, the uncanny ability to deliver that first pass right to the stick and, perhaps most importantly, the lack of any significant offense. Don't get me wrong, it's not like Brodin's an offensive defenseman by any means, but his silky, breathtaking skating ability combined with a pair of soft mittens and an underrated wrister made him a very good option for some secondary scoring during the early days. Later, he seemed just a bit too timid. When he succeeded on a takeaway, he would often just defer to Suter and let him take care of the first pass. Mind you, that's one of the things you can do when playing with a Norris-calibre defenseman, but I kinda hoped for his return to form which never really happened.

As for the positives, he handled the postseason quite well and he is still on track development-wise. I guess I had too high expectations of him, partly based on his jaw-dropping rookie campaign but also due to his early season form. He is definitely a bona fide top-4 D-man, but wasn't able to meet the expectations he set on himself during the first year. And that's not a knock on his overall play, just the knack I got from following his progress.

I guess I just can't help but worry about that injury. Was it more significant than we thought? After all, that puck hit him pretty close to the eye, and he didn't see it coming at all. There was enough force on it to break his cheekbone, but was that the only injury he sustained? Again, I'm probably too worried about it and all, but if he did indeed damage his eye, it could lead to at least temporarily reduced vision on that eye and that in turn would explain why his passes weren't as crisp as before, and also why he chose to defer to Suter constantly instead of trying to create a play on his own like we saw him do more often earlier. There are also many other nasty possibilites, such as a concussion or other head injury that's caused by a blunt force trauma. But, I hope that's not the case, I just can't shake that uneasy feeling off me.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I could see a team throwing an offer sheet his way....

Doubtful, unless he really breaks out. Offer sheets aren't that common and Brodin isn't the type of player that gets one

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: