Player Discussion Jonas Brodin

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Offersheets are tricky, there is that fine line where what you offer a player is a fair deal a team will match and what you offer them is insane. Also you need to time it right and have a team that is in cap trouble where you have to force their decision. Wild will be in neither position next year.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
$5m or under you'd match obviously. Over that, they are giving up a 1st and multiple other picks. Is Brodin worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd to sign for $6m for another team? I don't see it.

Offer sheets just never happen.

Isn't it just one of those unwritten rules between GM's not to be a dick about it?

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
$5m or under you'd match obviously. Over that, they are giving up a 1st and multiple other picks. Is Brodin worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd to sign for $6m for another team? I don't see it.

Offer sheets just never happen.

Depends on the years of the deal and the team that is signing him, is he worth 6 mil? Not yet, is he worth a late 1st, late 2nd and a late 3rd? Yes, he will be a better player at 6mil/yr than all three guys you could draft unless you get lucky.

Offer sheets are rare because a team is almost never in the situation where the risk is worth it

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I think he would be happy to resign here. I'd pay him 5 mil or close to that

Depends on how well he steps it up this year. If he does, I would give him another 2-3 year deal at $4.5M and then let him put his talent where his mouth is for a Suter type contract if that is what he's looking for.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Depends on how well he steps it up this year. If he does, I would give him another 2-3 year deal at $4.5M and then let him put his talent where his mouth is for a Suter type contract if that is what he's looking for.

Mouth? He's been the least mouthiest player I've seen since Kari Taco (Monetary and ****-talking). ****in' Tacos. Delicious. No, seriously, he doesn't seem like the type of player we have to worry about, in that way. He's a good old Swedish boy, and seems to be loyal to MN Wild. Really, in that way, he seems like a Minnesotan Lidstrom. All you have to do is pay him a fair price.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I could see him being pissed if he doesn't get some regular PP time this year. I think he handles himself very well the few times he gets a chance. I sure like him better on the point than Pominville.

TheTimeKnife

Mar 11, 2014
Oregon
I think it would be best to bridge Brodin to his last RFA year, 3-5 mil obviously depending on what Fletch can do at the table. I wouldn't be disappointed in paying 5 to be honest, he is worth it. Then once he hits that RFA year, slap a 7 year monster contract on him. It will allow us to have some leverage in the negotiations and ensure Brodin is a Wild for the foreseeable future. I honestly believe he has a Norris in his future, and Id like him to get it wearing green. As much as Granlund is hyped, I truly believe Brodin to be our most valuable prospect.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Has Brodin taken the next step according to you fans? His rookie season was amazing, then he seemed to slow down in his development.

Where is he on the depth chart, #2 or #3?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Well he typically plays with Suter on the 1st D Pairing, so he'd technically be considered the #2. However, I think Scandella and Spurgeon are both a bit ahead of him right now.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Well he typically plays with Suter on the 1st D Pairing, so he'd technically be considered the #2. However, I think Scandella and Spurgeon are both a bit ahead of him right now.

I would consider Scandella a #2 on a lot of teams (judging based on his play this year)

Brodin/Spurgeon are #2/#3's on just about every team or have the talent to be. Only thing holding them back is Brodin (Age/injuries) and Spurgeon (height/a little injury prone possibly due to slight frame)

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I would consider Scandella a #2 on a lot of teams (judging based on his play this year)

Brodin/Spurgeon are #2/#3's on just about every team or have the talent to be. Only thing holding them back is Brodin (Age/injuries) and Spurgeon (height/a little injury prone possibly due to slight frame)

Hey I really like these guys too but I think you are over rating them a bit.I can see Brodin as a 3-4 on many teams but as a #2 guy on only 3 or 4 (Edmonton,Colorado,Dallas).On which teams do you see Spurgeon as #2/#3?I think on most teams he'd be #4 at best.Scandella would not even be #2 on the Oilers.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Hey I really like these guys too but I think you are over rating them a bit.I can see Brodin as a 3-4 on many teams but as a #2 guy on only 3 or 4 (Edmonton,Colorado,Dallas).On which teams do you see Spurgeon as #2/#3?I think on most teams he'd be #4 at best.Scandella would not even be #2 on the Oilers.

Agreed. I love all 4 of our Top 4, but outside Suter none of these guys would be playing Top 2 minutes on a playoff caliber team.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities

Alright, I'll clarify...I think Spurgeon and Brodin are 2nd pairing guys that can play 1st pairing if needed or if paired with the right defenseman.

I think Scandella, like I said, purely based on his play alone this year and implying that he will continue to at least match this production if not continue to grow from here with all of the skills that Scandella has shown this seasosn...basically, assuming this is Scandella's floor--what he is now--I think Scandella is very close to becoming an anchor second line guy or lower tier 1st line pairing guy if he isn't already--based on the kind of game he has shown in these first 25ish games.

I think Brodin is well on his way to becoming a 1st line guy in this league. He's really close to making that jump...just needs experience and consistency and most importantly he needs to stay healthy.

Last edited:

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Fun fact about him the that nhl tonight had on him. He has touched the puck more this season than both Duncan Keith and Drew Doughty.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Wow, didn't know you thought so little of Brodin.

I think very highly of Jonas and I wouldn't be spending money on jerseys for the finacee of him or making insightful efforts during discussions I have off this board with fans of other teams about him if I didn't think so. However just like in video games, people tend to think too highly of their own players instead of looking at the total concept to see if the player is indeed what you believe he is. I truly believe that Brodin can be Top 2 but he has to figure out his offensive game for it to happen. The issue with Bacon is he plays just like Suter does...and that isn't great for offense IMO. Both want to play back in case the other team regains the puck and makes a breakout pass. Brodin can shoot and make solid passes but he is more comfortable in his own zone as opposed to make that press in the offensive zone we see with Spurgeon and Scandella. It is essentially the only reason I have been somewhat okay with Suter-Spurgeon and Brodin-Scandella as the pairings because it allows our two most defensively sound dmen to play the way they would want to play.

If Brodin could put up 10 goals and 30 assists, outside of possibly Keith/Seabrook standard we would probably have the best 1/2 in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
I thought Brodin was very impressive against Anaheim. It was interesting to see how he handled being the go-to guy as Suter was missing. Very impressive.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I think very highly of Jonas and I wouldn't be spending money on jerseys for the finacee of him or making insightful efforts during discussions I have off this board with fans of other teams about him if I didn't think so. However just like in video games, people tend to think too highly of their own players instead of looking at the total concept to see if the player is indeed what you believe he is. I truly believe that Brodin can be Top 2 but he has to figure out his offensive game for it to happen. The issue with Bacon is he plays just like Suter does...and that isn't great for offense IMO. Both want to play back in case the other team regains the puck and makes a breakout pass. Brodin can shoot and make solid passes but he is more comfortable in his own zone as opposed to make that press in the offensive zone we see with Spurgeon and Scandella. It is essentially the only reason I have been somewhat okay with Suter-Spurgeon and Brodin-Scandella as the pairings because it allows our two most defensively sound dmen to play the way they would want to play.

If Brodin could put up 10 goals and 30 assists, outside of possibly Keith/Seabrook standard we would probably have the best 1/2 in the league.
That's why I always salivated over a Brodin - Dumba pairing. Let's each dude play to their strengths.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's usually the last twenty or thirty seconds, after the puck has been dumped out into our zone. An after thought, really. Pominville tends to get the majority of the point time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00