Confirmed with Link: Jonas Brodin Extended - 7yrs ($42M - $6M/y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think this necessarily means that Dumba is gone. If they can't get a center for him the Wild would be one of the few teams where it makes sense to protect four defensemen in the expansion draft. Very few of our forwards are good enough to be worth protecting. We would probably end up losing Kunin or Greenway but that wouldn't be the end of the world.
I'd rather just say screw it and go into this season with what we've got if it's a choice between that and making a bad Dumba trade.... but it wouldn't improve my opinion of Guerin much if he inked Brodin to this deal prior to having a good sense of what he was going to do with Dumba. The option to sit on him is good leverage for negotiation, but it's not actually a good plan for next year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, it's a good plan if Dumba comes back and scores 20 goals again. Then the NHL world will be beating a path to our door to trade for him. If he has another offensively anemic season with spotty D, then we trade him for what he's worth, or if really bad, or Kunin/Greenway has a really good season, we expose him in the ED.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well, it's a good plan if Dumba comes back and scores 20 goals again. Then the NHL world will be beating a path to our door to trade for him. If he has another offensively anemic season with spotty D, then we trade him for what he's worth, or if really bad, or Kunin/Greenway has a really good season, we expose him in the ED.
Going into Kaprizov's one ELC year with Bjugstad as our 2C isn't a good plan.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Alexander Edler/Esa Lindell kind of money. Nothing fancy.

Below some cap hits for swedish and finnish defenders: (finns bolded)

Erik Karlsson 11.500.000
Oliver Ekman Larsson 8.250.000
Victor Hedman 7.875.000
Alexander Edler 6.000.000
Jonas Brodin 6.000.000 (from 2021-22)
Esa Lindell 5.800.000
Rasmus Ristolainen 5.4000.000

Anton Strålman 5.500.000
Hampus Lindholm 5.205.556
Niklas Hjalmarsson 5.000.000
Sami Vatanen 4.875.000
Rasmus Andersson 4.550.000
John Klingberg 4.250.000
Oscar Klefbom 4.167.000
Adam Larsson 4.166.666
Olli Määttä 4.083.333
Mattias Ekholm 3.750.000
Markus Nutivaara 2.700.000
Rasmus Dahlin 925.000
Miro Heiskanen 894.166

Team Sweden defense:

Mattias Ekholm - Erik Karlsson
Victor Hedman - Jonas Brodin (may have to switch to RD)
Oliver Ekman Larsson - Rasmus Dahlin
Hampus Lindholm - John Klingberg

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It might be if we're able to sign him to a Tuch contract and then hit him with some quality centers after.
That would mitigate things but I'd still consider going into next season with no further moves a management failure. It would be the second year in a row that Guerin sacrifices by failing to address a glaring roster hole; I'll give him a little bit of a pass on last year, but after having a full offseason? I'd be less forgiving.

It is preferable to some of the Dumba trades I've seen bandied about on HF and if Dumba's value is really that shot then I'd rather keep him and let him rebound. But if that's the case Guerin had to have known it before yesterday, and if he did I really question extending Brodin instead of trading him.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'd rather just say screw it and go into this season with what we've got if it's a choice between that and making a bad Dumba trade.... but it wouldn't improve my opinion of Guerin much if he inked Brodin to this deal prior to having a good sense of what he was going to do with Dumba. The option to sit on him is good leverage for negotiation, but it's not actually a good plan for next year.
I really don't understand the rush to get Brodin signed unless Guerin has something lined up with Dumba.

Reactions: Bazeek

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
you have to assume he has some offers that are enticing to him and its just a matter of which do we want more.
I sure hope he's further along than that. He better be smart enough to know that signing Brodin and announcing it to the world has pretty serious effect on what he can and can't do this offseason.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I sure hope he's further along than that. He better be smart enough to know that signing Brodin and announcing it to the world has pretty serious effect on what he can and can't do this offseason.
i would hope so, dumba has been shopped for what two years now? something has to be in place its only a matter of time to figure out some financials maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad