Confirmed with Link: Jonas Brodin Extended - 7yrs ($42M - $6M/y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I'm happy with this! A good deal for a top pair defenseman that has shown flashes of offense (despite naysayers) and is a smooth-skating rock on the back end. Not worried about age either - Brodin's the kind of player who I reckon will play just fine well into his 30s. $6m/year? That's more than tolerable.

Yes, our back end is expensive but it could be far worse. If anything, we have some very, very good deals done and one of the best top-4s in this league with Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, and Dumba plus some exciting youngsters.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So this'll probably make him the franchise leader in GP when it's all said and done then

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Not thrilled with the terms of the deal, and not upset about it either. I feel like it's a pretty fair deal in terms of money and term. I feel that Brodin got the better end of it when you also factor in the NMC. Really wish the Wild would stop handing these stupid things out. I actually thought we might lead the league in how many we have on the team. Close. We're tied with the Panthers and Red Wings at 5. The Rangers and Stars have 6. Still, tied for 3rd in the NHL is pretty good! Is good the right word?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Put yourself in Brodin's spot. Why should he sign a deal which allows him to be traded at any time if the Wild get a good offer for him? Why not just wait till he is a UFA, and sign for top $$ with for the team of his choice, not the team's? The NMC also takes Seattle out of the equation. That is a situation created by owners, for owners, and not something he should subject himself to if he can negotiate an out.

6M as a UFA in 2020 is basically the same as 4.16M he signed as a RFA 6 years ago, and i think he is a better player now.

I'm completely with you on the Zuccarello deal, though. Handing out that money, and term, and NMC...yech

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Put yourself in Brodin's spot. Why should he sign a deal which allows him to be traded at any time if the Wild get a good offer for him? Why not just wait till he is a UFA, and sign for top $$ with for the team of his choice, not the team's? The NMC also takes Seattle out of the equation. That is a situation created by owners, for owners, and not something he should subject himself to if he can negotiate an out.

6M as a UFA in 2020 is basically the same as 4.16M he signed as a RFA 6 years ago, and i think he is a better player now.

I'm completely with you on the Zuccarello deal, though. Handing out that money, and term, and NMC...yech
I'm fine with the NMC in principle. It gives him some peace of mind for a few years, and realistically the team isn't going to trade him so soon after signing him anyway. Decent compromise.

I just think 4 years is pushing it a little.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's probably 1 year too many on the NMC. Was always going to be at least a couple. We hand them out, but at least we haven't for the duration of the contracts (Parise and Suter excluded).

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Teams don't hand out clauses because they love to do it, it's because they have to if they really want a player.
I'm sure Brodin wouldn't re-sign if he didn't get it.

Same with Zuccarello, told media there was a bidding war between the Wild and the Panthers.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Solid move, build on what you are good at and that is certainly top 4 D. Also means that guys like Svetlakov, Boldy, Khovanov really need to contribute on their ELCs.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
I think I would pay a 27yr old D man who can play a shutdown role against other teams best forwards (6 mil per year) Any offense contributed is a plus.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And because I look at this on basically all long-term deals, turning Brodin's 7 year deal into a 6 year deal costs us a year of only $1.333M of dead money (and saves us $2.667M during the 7th year).

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Compared to all the other top dollar long term NMC deals this team is stuck with, this is the deal I feel the most comfortable with.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
He’ll be worth every dime through the end of this contract. And if/when he gets some PP time, he’ll stack up those second apples so the stats crowd can be happy.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't think this necessarily means that Dumba is gone. If they can't get a center for him the Wild would be one of the few teams where it makes sense to protect four defensemen in the expansion draft. Very few of our forwards are good enough to be worth protecting. We would probably end up losing Kunin or Greenway but that wouldn't be the end of the world.

Reactions: 57special
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad