Johnny Hockey Contract Watch - The End of Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think I'd cry tears of joy if it's under 7. The suspense is killing me, c'mon Johnny change outta your spongebob pj's and sign that contract!!

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
I think its going to be for sure above 7 not sure about the term but hoping its longer. It wouldn't make sense to sign him t a short one would it?

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
6 x 6.75 OR 8 x 7.35

If I were Brad, I wouldn't want both Monahan and Gaudreau's deal expiring at the same time again, but 7 could be a possibility too.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
6 x 6.75 OR 8 x 7.35

If I were Brad, I wouldn't want both Monahan and Gaudreau's deal expiring at the same time again, but 7 could be a possibility too.

I don't see a problem with it, you build them like Toews and Kane, puts pressure on both guys to sign at the same time and gives us a clearly defined window.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
6 x 6.75 OR 8 x 7.35

That's why I don't mind the 6 year deal. Gio's expires at the same time and we can use the cap to re-sign Gaudreau if he wants.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I'm tired of our superstars being expected to take one for the team in contracts. This Calgary Flames tradition has to go.

It's a league tradition. Players get paid by how much leverage they have, Gaudreau has next to none. No matter how it shakes out he'll be the highest paid player that's ever been in this situation.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
By reminding them how few true superstars actually come along (draft or otherwise).

This makes..... I want to say less than zero sense, but of course zero sense is as low as we can mathematically go. So let's go with zero sense. This make zero sense.

First of all, your basis is that you want the Flames to no longer strive to have the best team because it's more important for them to learn a sentimental lesson. This isn't a children's book; this is business.

Second of all, if the Flames were to be "taken to the cleaners," they would have already had to agree that Gaudreau's value was as such, and that he was a rare player who only comes along once in a while. If they didn't already know that, they wouldn't pay him like he was exceptional.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
By reminding them how few true superstars actually come along (draft or otherwise).

Even at the "Gio cap" he'd be getting better AAV than Nathan MacKinnon (1st overall), Sasha Barkov (potentially best Finnish centre in history), John Tavares (1st overall) and equivalent pay to Taylor Hall (1st overall), RNH (1st overall).

How does that make it seem like the Flames are undervaluing him after two years in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad