Which one

• Johnny Gaudreau

• Auston Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'll take the player that has more points, better p/pg, carries his team, mvp and art ross candidate and makes almost HALF of what the other guy makes.
GS20190208115827.gif

Reactions: Steven

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
LMAO. Enough with these joke polls.

Every GM in the league would take 21 year old budding Mega-Star Auston Matthews over Johnny Gudreau, and WE ALL KNOW IT.

But y'all are funny sometimes. I'll give ya that. :)

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Now this is just hilarious. If you'd take Gaudreau on your team over Auston Matthews, you don't know or watch hockey. Period.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Now this is just hilarious. If you'd take Gaudreau on your team over Auston Matthews, you don't know or watch hockey. Period.
If you watch Matthews you would take Gaudreau easily. He doesnt dissapear like Matthews does. Matthews feasts on bad teams which is where he gets the majority of his points. Not to mention the fact that he has no intensity. Than you add in the fact that he has a bad contract it doesnt make it close.

Reactions: Snowman

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
As of today it’s Gaudreau.

There’s a big discrepancy between what the Toronto media wants and proclaims Matthews to be and what he actually is.

Don’t get me wrong he’s a great player, but he’s lumped in a tier with about 10-15 other really good young players.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
All situations P/60 last 2 seasons
Matthews 3.60
Gaudreau 3.60
Not nearly the offensive gap that you are trying to present and I would argue that Matthews is actually better due to goals generally being worth more than assists.

all situations p/60 doesn't make sense, since Gaudreau gets way more PP time and it's obviously easier to score on the PP.

5v5
Matthews: 2.96 p/60, 2.52 p1/60
Gaudreau: 2.67 p/60, 2.18 p1/60

PP
Matthews: 6.67 p/60, 5.33 p1/60
Gaudreau: 5.71 p/60, 3.5 p1/60

Matthews is better and younger. Gaudreau is pretty amazing in his own right though

If Matthews was getting double the PP time of Gaudreau, this wouldn't be a question

Lol you know the opposing player is better when you need to make paragraphs of cherry picked stats to prove it. Gaudreau>>Matthews while making half his salary.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
not an excuse, and also this isn't relevant to the point I was making
Points dont go up linearly when you get more playing time. Maybe if Matthews didnt disappear for long stretches against good teams he would get more playing time. He is the master of milking points against bad teams. Maybe thats why Babcock doesnt trust him with more minutes.

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Gaudreau is the more dynamic and simply a better hockey player right now.

5 years from now who knows. Gaudreau is aging very slowly. Still looks like a 19 year old.

Last edited:
Reactions: flamesforcup

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Why is this entire website, Leaf fan or not, obsessed with the Leafs (and its fans)? People must be extremely bored with their own teams to have this obsession, which is strange to me as even in the Leafs darkest days I never got the urge to develop an obsession with another team and its fanbase.

Imagine still believing this. And just randomly posting it in a poll. :laugh:

Look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself something. If all else is equal, do you want to be the victim? Do you want to feel like you are being persecuted?

Schiefele Vs. Tavares before Tavares joined Toronto: (121 VOTES)

(Tavares with 43 votes - 35.5% of the vote)

Schiefele Vs. Tavares after Tavares joined Toronto: (426 VOTES)

(Tavares with 156 votes - 36.6% of the vote)
+1.1% JUMP AFTER JOINING TORONTO

Seguin Vs. Tavares before Tavares joined Toronto (Thread A) (184 VOTES)

Seguin Vs. Tavares before Tavares joined Toronto (Thread B) (51 VOTES)

(Tavares with 122 votes - 51.9% of the vote)

Seguin Vs. Tavares after Tavares joined Toronto: (310 VOTES)

(Tavares with 168 votes - 54.2% of the vote) +2.3% JUMP AFTER JOINING TORONTO

Is Patrick Marleau a HOFer - Before he joined Toronto: (76 VOTES) (There was no poll, but I personally tallied the comments. For the sake of objectivity, I counted votes that said "probably" or "not likely" in both directions. I did count posts such as "If he wins a Conn Smythe" as "no". I counted results up until the thread was bumped on March 27, 2018, as Marleau was playing for Toronto at that point. I counted 60 votes for yes and 16 votes for no. Feel free to double check the thread.)

(21.1% of the vote was for Yes, with 16 votes saying Yes, Patrick Marleau is a Hall of Famer)

Is Patrick Marleau a HOFer - After he joined Toronto (126 VOTES)

(46.8% of the vote was for Yes, with 59 votes saying Yes, Patrick Marleau is a Hall of Famer) +25.7% JUMP AFTER JOINING TORONTO

So, our sample size here is 1,294 votes - 432 of which came before the player joined Toronto, and 862 of which came after the player joined Toronto. We've also got data from 7 different polls - 4 of which came before the player joined Toronto and 3 of which came after the player joined Toronto. (The two Tavares Vs. Seguin threads before Tavares joined Toronto got lumped into one for the sake of counting numbers.)

Over the course of these identical polls, the Maple Leafs player averaged 36.2% of the vote before they joined the Maple Leafs. Once they joined the Maple Leafs, little else changed, but their polling stock rose to 45.9%. That's an average increase of 9.7% once a player joins the Maple Leafs, over a sample size of 1,294 votes. If there was any sort of anti-Leafs bias, players would not average an increase of 9.7% in their polling stock in identical polls immediately after joining the Toronto Maple Leafs. Perhaps they would in one specific poll with a small sample size and other factors to consider, but not over the sample size of 1,294 votes.

I rest my case - there is no anti-Leafs bias on HFBoards.

On topic, it’s really really close.

For today’s San Jose team, I would take Gaudreau. We need an elite playmaker for the top line. Gaudreau-Hertl-Meier would be an elite 1st line and solve all of our problems. Matthews would help a lot, but I don’t think we could fit him in as easily and effectively. The cherry on top would be taking away Calgary’s best player, but even if we’re just cloning him, I’m still taking Gaudreau.

Starting a franchise, Matthews. His 5-on-5 goal scoring rate as a brand new player in the league is flat out ridiculous. I think he has all the tools to become an elite play-driver as well.

Right now, I think Gaudreau’s a better player, so I’ll vote him.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Gaudreau can't hold Matthews jockstrap. When it's all said it done, Matthews will be the greatest American hockey player all time.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Imagine believing the truth? I agree, it's hard to envision around here.

Imagine going into every poll/thread and whining about why people are talking about your team.

Sorry, guess we must always believe the Leafs are the bestest team ever.

Right now, Gaudreau is the better player. It could be Matthews. That’s not hard to envision.

It’s easier to envision that instead of pouting about how your team gets picked on in every thread.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I once saw Auston Matthews bend a puck around 2 defenders and the goalies glove using only his mind and a flare of his nostrils.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
This won't be AM until atleast 5 years from now based on contracts alone. Johnny is easily the better player right now and that's not even disputable. Even if we project AM to surpass him in say 2-3 years, I highly doubt he'll be $5m better. If this was a discussion that did not include contracts, I'd say AM will probably be better the better player, assuming no major injuries, in about 3 years.

Reactions: Snowman

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Imagine going into every poll/thread and whining about why people are talking about your team.

Sorry, guess we must always believe the Leafs are the bestest team ever.

Right now, Gaudreau is the better player. It could be Matthews. That’s not hard to envision.

It’s easier to envision that instead of pouting about how your team gets picked on in every thread.

aww, did that hit a nerve?

we get that you hate the Leafs. it's fine. bring it.

just stop with the nauseating dishonesty about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad