Johnny Gaudreau vs Auston Matthews

Which one

• Johnny Gaudreau

• Auston Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.

McBackup

Jan 15, 2019
East Van and Damned
Why is this entire website, Leaf fan or not, obsessed with the Leafs (and its fans)? People must be extremely bored with their own teams to have this obsession, which is strange to me as even in the Leafs darkest days I never got the urge to develop an obsession with another team and its fanbase.

That’s because you have completely drunk the kool-aid. Leafs stuff gets shoved down everyone’s throat, you’re blind to it except for the response, and now you see a simple comparison thread and immediately take it as “obsession” because Leaf fans tend to live in Bizarro world.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Gaudreau vs Nylander: Gaudreau wins lopsided
*Toronto fans: :mad:*
*Toronto fans: "this is BS, we need to show that Gaudreau is nothing"
Gaudreau vs Marner: Gaudreau wins lopsided
*Toronto fans: :mad::mad:*
*Toronto fans: what the actual f***. Is Russia hacking HFBoards now!?!?"
Gaudreau vs Matthews
*everyone goes into hiding to avoid a Toronto-based nuclear war*

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
Flames fan chiming in. If I'm building a team from scratch I take Matthews. I don't love the contract, but he is younger and a franchise center. He will be dominant for years to come.

If we're talking this year I take Gaudreau. His numbers are amazing, but when you watch the games you see how committed he is to all aspects of his game, he has truly gone to a new level this year as a 200 foot player while also increasing his offense. Game changer every single night.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Points last 2 seasons:

Gaudreau: 158p in 133gp
Matthews: 110p in 101gp
All situations P/60 last 2 seasons
Matthews 3.60
Gaudreau 3.60
Not nearly the offensive gap that you are trying to present and I would argue that Matthews is actually better due to goals generally being worth more than assists.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
All situations P/60 last 2 seasons
Matthews 3.60
Gaudreau 3.60
Not nearly the offensive gap that you are trying to present and I would argue that Matthews is actually better due to goals generally being worth more than assists.
all situations p/60 doesn't make sense, since Gaudreau gets way more PP time and it's obviously easier to score on the PP.

5v5
Matthews: 2.96 p/60, 2.52 p1/60
Gaudreau: 2.67 p/60, 2.18 p1/60

PP
Matthews: 6.67 p/60, 5.33 p1/60
Gaudreau: 5.71 p/60, 3.5 p1/60

Matthews is better and younger. Gaudreau is pretty amazing in his own right though

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Johnny hockey. You can get almost two of him for one Matthews, not to mention he's the better player anyways (currently)

Ignoring contracts its tougher, I'd probably take Matthews due to our lack of legit center depth outside of Mackinnon.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Depends what the question is

If were talking about right now its hard to argue against Gaudreau considering he would be up there as league MVP. If the question is who would you take 5 years from now I think Matthews would be the frontrunner considering what hes done so far and being 4 years younger then Johnny Hockey

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
all situations p/60 doesn't make sense, since Gaudreau gets way more PP time and it's obviously easier to score on the PP.

5v5
Matthews: 2.96 p/60, 2.52 p1/60
Gaudreau: 2.67 p/60, 2.18 p1/60

PP
Matthews: 6.67 p/60, 5.33 p1/60
Gaudreau: 5.71 p/60, 3.5 p1/60

Matthews is better and younger. Gaudreau is pretty amazing in his own right though
I got my numbers from NHL.com
Here's the links
NHL.com - Stats
NHL.com - Stats

Reactions: Regal
Mar 12, 2009
That’s because you have completely drunk the kool-aid. Leafs stuff gets shoved down everyone’s throat, you’re blind to it except for the response, and now you see a simple comparison thread and immediately take it as “obsession” because Leaf fans tend to live in Bizarro world.
It's one thread of many that pop up daily of "Leaf player vs X". I've criticized my fanbase quite a bit, but sure, pointing out this website, Leaf fan or not, is obsessed with the Leafs (which it is) means I'm "drinking the kool aid" (it was Flavor Aid at Jonestown btw).

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Ask yourself this: if all of the Leafs fans suddenly disappeared from HF overnight, would anyone care still post about the Leafs?

Also contracts included, it's easily Gaudreau.

Reactions: flamesforcup

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
IMO, Gaudreau is a much better player at the moment, to watch them live, Johnny Hockey is a very exciting player to watch. Matthews is a great player as well, to see him live, is pretty much, meh though, for me. When you watch Gaudreau your eye goes to him immediately everytime he's on the ice, similar to a Crosby or McDavid. Matthews is a guy you really have to be watching for him, he just doesn't stand out.

Gaudreau is on a great contract, while Matthews will have to really elevate his game to live up to his.

Gaudreau is also top 5 in scoring, Matthews is top 60.

Pretty easy choice right now, ask me in a few years

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Johnny pretty easily for me. Elevates everyone he plays with the way he creates space in the offensive zone. Lindholm was a .5ppg player before getting lined up with him. Monahan has more points than Tavares and Crosby do on the year. Giordano might be the first Flames defenseman since Al Macinnis in 93-94 to be a point per game over a season. These are all good to great players in their own right but without Johnny I don't think their output would be nearly as strong. Gaudreau has the same amount of points as Kopitar and Getzlaf combined so far. Despite being labelled as a strictly playmaking winger, he's also 12th in the NHL in goals.

Reactions: mmvvpp

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
What is the question?

Whose more valuable in a vacuum? Matthews, age and center

Who would you prefer to add to your team for the upcoming playoffs? I'd keep Gaudreau.

Whose more valuable with contracts included? Tougher to answer, probably Gaudreau. That's a lot of money. That's like a free Backlund.

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
What is the question?

Whose more valuable in a vacuum? Matthews, age and center

Who would you prefer to add to your team for the upcoming playoffs? I'd keep Gaudreau.

Whose more valuable with contracts included? Tougher to answer, probably Gaudreau. That's a lot of money. That's like a free Backlund.

I agree with all your statements.

As for contracts, Gaudreau is a top 5 player in the league, paid like a top 40 guy.

Matthews is a top 40 guy, paid like a top 5 guy.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad