Johnny Boychuk Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
To your first three questions; look through the entire thread. Or not. Read it at you own risk.

Let's not get started again.
My apologies.... was just wondering if any minds changed since the trade.

It's difficult, imho, to replace a solid dman that's in the 1-4 rotation. Those are difficult to come by. Chia must have a lot of confidence in his D (depth/rosters) to make the deal, though. They still had expensive forwards who are a bit iffy with regards to performance/$?

Anyway, I read the first 5 pages and getting a good idea.... very good discussion. I can't argue with any of them....they're well expressed. I guess the B's will have to see what happens the rest of the season and hope no major injuries occur to the D-core.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
2 goals on 4 shots (50%). 19 in his previous 641 (3%). I'm not buying the new found scoring touch. This is going to be a career year though. No question.

This team misses his steady 20-22 minutes a night. Shocker. None of Bartkowski, Miller, or McQuaid are capable of filling that void.

More importantly is the life he's injected into the Isles (3-0)

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Well to be fair...they're trading futures for players. You can tell they're really going for it.

Why not its their last year playing out on the Island. And with the way they lost last year I don't blame them for feeling they can do it. Also in today's game with the Cap constantly in ones throat, go all in.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I understood the boychuk deal and was predicting it (or krejci) for months. I was wishing for a live body back but overall i feel the deal was ok and will work out... that said WOW IS BOYCHUK EVER KILLING IT IN NY!!!

Did we ever actually give him a chance to be the big guy on the pp? Going back to his ahl days this guy was impressive offensively then too. Did we stiffle his offensive potential?

I never begruge ex b's their success when they move on. Im happy for boychuk in his contract year that he is convincing alot of nsysayers he is more than a 3-4 guy and can be used 22mins a night on a midling team.

On a related note i will toss out props to joe colburn... a late bloomer who is finally establishing himself as an nhl regular.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
I understood the boychuk deal and was predicting it (or krejci) for months. I was wishing for a live body back but overall i feel the deal was ok and will work out... that said WOW IS BOYCHUK EVER KILLING IT IN NY!!!

Did we ever actually give him a chance to be the big guy on the pp? Going back to his ahl days this guy was impressive offensively then too. Did we stiffle his offensive potential?

I never begruge ex b's their success when they move on. Im happy for boychuk in his contract year that he is convincing alot of nsysayers he is more than a 3-4 guy and can be used 22mins a night on a midling team.

On a related note i will toss out props to joe colburn... a late bloomer who is finally establishing himself as an nhl regular.

We've been doing this to every player with offensive potential on this team for years.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I'm still miffed at trading Johnny, and will be for the foreseeable future. There were other options to deal with the situation, and in a league where there is a very fine line between getting to the finals and not getting there, I don't think it was wise to move a solid D man who shows up in the playoffs. The thing that irks me the most is that we had him this year for below market value and that is at a time when he is coming into his own. He was rock solid this past year and showing all signs of starting to peak. It doesn't surprise me that he's looked so good this year. The reason he wasn't scoring left and right on our PP is because that wasn't his role. We were third in the league last year on the PP, so obviously the coaches were doing something right on the PP without asking him to score on the PP. This year he has scored most his points on the PP, but that is because he is needed to score points on the NYI PP apparently due to the fact he is more of a key player there than with the Bs. Also, this could simply be an aberration for him since it's such a small sample and he may not continue to score at a torrid pace over the course of the season. I hope he does keep scoring, though, as I want to see him be successful. I'm sure teams are taking notice of him now if they weren't before and will make adjustments to better deal with him while they are on the PK.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
My apologies.... was just wondering if any minds changed since the trade.

It's difficult, imho, to replace a solid dman that's in the 1-4 rotation. Those are difficult to come by. Chia must have a lot of confidence in his D (depth/rosters) to make the deal, though. They still had expensive forwards who are a bit iffy with regards to performance/$?

Anyway, I read the first 5 pages and getting a good idea.... very good discussion. I can't argue with any of them....they're well expressed. I guess the B's will have to see what happens the rest of the season and hope no major injuries occur to the D-core.

Nah, I wasn't trying to be harsh, it's just that there are the "main" reasons as to why Boychuk was traded, and then there are the reasons that are clearly debatable.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
We've been doing this to every player with offensive potential on this team for years.

crazy to think Boychuk had 65 points his last year in the AHL. You'd never know it from watching him under Claude. Figures the second he leaves he becomes an offensive D-man again.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
crazy to think Boychuk had 65 points his last year in the AHL. You'd never know it from watching him under Claude. Figures the second he leaves he becomes an offensive D-man again.

Its no wonder why so many of our ex players go on to be more successful on other teams.

first two players that come to mind are Seguin and Wheeler.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Ryder. Mark Stuart was playing big minutes for Winnipeg at one point. Versteeg?

Not really fair because without moving Kessel, Seguin never comes in, no Horton without moving Wideman etc...

Wheeler/Seguin/Kessel
Pouliot/Colborne/Iginla
Ryder/Boyes/Horton
Thornton/Versteeg/Roussel

Sobotka/Peverly/Eaves/Hendricks/Thompson/McGratton

Ference/Boychuk
Wideman/M.Stuart
B.Stuart/Mezaros
Hunwick

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Thank you for Boychuk, he's been great for us.

I'm sure the troubles the B's have seen the first few games are nothing to be concerned with. There's way too much talent on your team to get too down on them. They're obviously a playoff lock with home-ice through the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
A player we rarely used on the PP after Savard went down (when our own PP was horrible) is turning around the Islanders PP and has more PP goals in 3 games than he did in over 300 here. I don't know what you want to call that but it's pretty impressive.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Not really fair because without moving Kessel, Seguin never comes in, no Horton without moving Wideman etc...

Wheeler/Seguin/Kessel
Pouliot/Colborne/Iginla
Ryder/Boyes/Horton
Thornton/Versteeg/Roussel

Sobotka/Peverly/Eaves/Hendricks/Thompson/McGratton

Ference/Boychuk
Wideman/M.Stuart
B.Stuart/Mezaros
Hunwick

Sure, some of the moves resulted in us getting a cup. But half of those players ended up going to other teams and flourishing. Putting up big numbers. Playing like different players. That can't be ignored. Look at Roussel for example. Did anyone expect that? Wheeler was supposed to be an idiot who can't stay insides. Yet look at him in the peg. This season he's added fighting to his play. It just can't be ignored.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Are we done now? or will we need a part 3 to cry some more?

OrreyKroog

May 10, 2014
Its no wonder why so many of our ex players go on to be more successful on other teams.

first two players that come to mind are Seguin and Wheeler.

When their teams become more successful that's when I'll worry if the moves we made are a net negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad