Johnny Boychuk Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I really hope they flip these picks and prospects and maybe a roster player, for an upgrade at right wing. I'm not talking a diamond in the rough player with sub 20 games under his belt, I'm talking a proven top 6 talent.

I wanted to give Loui Eriksson the benefit of the doubt but he looks invisible out there. Almost nothing he's done this preseason gives me any hope of him having a better season than last year.

Who that is, I don't know. I just know that's the only way I feel better about this trade. that or they find a cost controlled RHD to replace Boychuk, and in my opinion, they have almost no shot at one of those.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
people keep talking about using the cap space on a first line winger but who the hell is available without trading a top player in return?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The problem with trading picks and prospects for a proven top 4 winger is that not too many teams are going to trade away proven top 4 winger for just prospects and picks to a cup contending team. And even if they were willing to trade such a player, then we have to fit that player under the cap. Remember, it's not like we shed a ton of salary with Boychuk. He was playing here this season for well under market value. Which brings up another issue -- what do we do down the road this season if we decide we need a top 4 defenseman due to either injury or due to any of the plethora of bottom pairing guys not cutting the mustard? First, they are damn near impossible to get in comparison to other positions, and second, good luck finding a top 4 defenseman at or barely above Boychuk's cap hit. That is why we should have just kept him and given this team that much better chance to make a legit run at the cup, then let him walk. There would be no shame in doing that, and honestly it's not like these second round picks have much percentage chance of ever amounting to anything decent.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
If we are seriously going for the Cup this year I would be shocked if don't find ourselves in the exact same position at the deadline, trying to upgrade the D, looking for a Boychuk.
And that's before any of the injuries that may come this year.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Terrible news.

Really disgusts me that Gregory Campbell is still here to be the slowest player in the NHL and Boychuk was given away for nothing.

Isles are a playoff team the picks will be bad.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
If we are seriously going for the Cup this year I would be shocked if don't find ourselves in the exact same position at the deadline, trying to upgrade the D, looking for a Boychuk.
And that's before any of the injuries that may come this year.

Exactly. It was the issue we had at last years deadline; because of Seids being injured, we essentially needed another "Boychuk". Now, we don't have (a) Boychuk at all. Finding a D like him at the trade deadline (if we need one) is going to cost a hefty price, and they aren't a dime a dozen. Chances are (despite what some want to think on twitter) Boychuk more than likely won't be coming back at the trade deadline, especially if the Isles make the playoffs. This probably won't be a Vanek-like situation....so if any of our top 4 D go down, we are in trouble.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Boychuk has never had more than 5 goals in a season and I feel everyone is over rating him because of his hits.

He is what he is a number 4 or 3 at very best, this bboard is freaking out like Bergeron was traded. The Bruins will be fine, the fans on the other hand. . . . . freaking out.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Boychuk has never had more than 5 goals in a season and I feel everyone is over rating him because of his hits.

He is what he is a number 4 or 3 at very best, this bboard is freaking out like Bergeron was traded. The Bruins will be fine, the fans on the other hand. . . . . freaking out.

He didn't produce a lot of offense; we all knew that. His hits were great to watch, but it's moreso the fact that he was fairly steady and reliable when we needed to be, and ate up a lot of minutes in the playoffs.
He was pretty good at staying healthy too.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Seidenberg has scored more than 5 goals only once in his NHL career (7). I never realized Boychuk was here to score goals. He is here for solid defense, which he has become very good at. The intimidation he brings is a bonus.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

People would have been fine losing him for nothing AFTER the season. To lose him for nothing right now is criminal.

And he has made enormous improvements in his game that hes closer to a top pairing D man.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Seidenberg has scored more than 5 goals only once in his NHL career (7). I never realized Boychuk was here to score goals. He is here for solid defense, which he has become very good at. The intimidation he brings is a bonus.

He did have some timely playoff goals.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Boychuk had 6 goals in the 2013 playoffs (not that anyone is crying about losing his goals)

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Vegas lowered the over/under on the total points.

Also, vegas is allot generating equal bets, not a true assessment. The Bruins are a public team. And the east still is weak.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
They had the near perfect defense and Chia just couldn't find a way to keep it. Not only that, but Boychuk was a great fit here. With Boychuk gone too, it's amazing how much each defenseman as to pick it up.

Seids must get his game back now, and quickly. Hamilton must continue to progress to a top 3 or even top 2. Bart, McQuaid, and Miller all have to step up. And it's all fair to ask this of them, but this team wants to win Cups, defense became a lot more questionable as a Cup contender.

Play the games for a reason, but on paper, it's disappointing as all hell.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
What's the real disparity there though? Where they traded on the depth chart, or how much Chicago paid for a 6/7 compared to how much Chiarelli did for a 3/4?

To me its far more alarming how much money Chicago was paying to a 6/7.

They had also looked at moving Johnny Oduya out and that would have been somewhat similar from Chicago's point of view.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
They had the near perfect defense and Chia just couldn't find a way to keep it. Not only that, but Boychuk was a great fit here. With Boychuk gone too, it's amazing how much each defenseman as to pick it up.

Seids must get his game back now, and quickly. Hamilton must continue to progress to a top 3 or even top 2. Bart, McQuaid, and Miller all have to step up. And it's all fair to ask this of them, but this team wants to win Cups, defense became a lot more questionable as a Cup contender.

Play the games for a reason, but on paper, it's disappointing as all hell.

And if the defensemen we have don't step it up? We start to rely heavily on Tuukka, drive him into the ground, need another top 4 defenseman..it's the domino effect. Obviously this is the worst case scenario(s), but it's brutal to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad