Johnny Boychuk Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I never do this and i hate to pile on, but we aquired a number one defenseman. That much is absolutely clear. The offense will likely slow down but his presence, leadership, effectiveness, calm demeanor, and ability to log big minutes ... All for 2 picks. This was the "trade" that i think puts the islanders in the upper class of teams in the east. The guys a stud and he thrives under pressure. Thats the mark of a good player!

Glad he's doing well. Like with Seguin, it was tiresome arguing with people on the main boards on what exactly Johnny Boychuk is. So many shrugged him off as a product of the system or a product of Chara. Edmonton fans claimed he was Ference 2.0, while Winnipeg fans questioned whether he could even crack their lineup. Haven't seen an Islanders game yet, but my guess is you're getting something close to a playoff version of Johnny Boychuk. That high will eventually fade, but you'll still end up with rock solid #2/3 defenseman.

He's going to get paid this summer. Do you think the Islanders pony up and give him his last big contract?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Glad he's doing well. Like with Seguin, it was tiresome arguing with people on the main boards on what exactly Johnny Boychuk is. So many shrugged him off as a product of the system or a product of Chara. Edmonton fans claimed he was Ference 2.0, while Winnipeg fans questioned whether he could even crack their lineup. Haven't seen an Islanders game yet, but my guess is you're getting something close to a playoff version of Johnny Boychuk. That high will eventually fade, but you'll still end up with rock solid #2/3 defenseman.

He's going to get paid this summer. Do you think the Islanders pony up and give him his last big contract?

No, boychuk is getting #1 minutes and pp time....plus playing with an elite talent....he will have slumps but his attitude has rubbed off immediately.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Genuinely happy to see Boychuk doing well, but his absence has nothing to do with the Bruins current problems IMO. Those are up front. I'd wager the team would be in the exact same position with him here or not.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
At the very least, I wouldn't mind his PK contributions right about now..

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Genuinely happy to see Boychuk doing well, but his absence has nothing to do with the Bruins current problems IMO. Those are up front. I'd wager the team would be in the exact same position with him here or not.

Hate the trade love Boychuk but I agree

We may have just lost 2-0 last night with him but still a loss

His absence will be felt on the playoffs

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
At the very least, I wouldn't mind his PK contributions right about now..

Maybe. A quick glance at the Isles board indicates their PK ain't too hot either though. Definitely not all on him obviously but I just don't think he's the missing link for the B's at this point at all.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Maybe. A quick glance at the Isles board indicates their PK ain't too hot either though. Definitely not all on him obviously but I just don't think he's the missing link for the B's at this point at all.

Problem I have is that there is more than one missing link right now. I agree that we're not a 3-0 powerhouse with JB in the line-up, but we're still a better team with him. And I certainly agree that our biggest concerns are up front, but I also see a lot of issues with our d (PK, getting the puck out of the zone smoothly, etc.). Seems like a bit of a ripple effect so far.

I love McQ and Krug and Miller for what they bring to the table, but the thought of any of them regularly logging 20+ minutes is troubling to say the least. I was hoping we could use our top 4 depth to scale Z's minutes back a tad, but I'm not so sure we can do that without major improvements from the others. And I really think JB had some intangibles/leadership qualities that would help right now.

I just don't see why we traded him, but I don't know want to digress back into that debate. I guess for me the biggest issue was the timing of it all. If this trade happened in July, I think we'd be much more adequately prepared.

Hopefully it smooths out; it's still early and the Krejci injury variable is worth noting. Tomorrow's game is of the utmost importance in my eyes.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014

Without a doubt. As long as he likes it, and I imagine he will, he'll get his best offer from us.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
By the way, so much for "they needed to make the trade today, timestamp."

So serious question, did you have some intel or was that just a gut call?

Not for nothing, but I feel as though it had to do more with the return than anything else. I think Chiarelli feels a lot more confident making future deals with six picks in the first two rounds of the next couple of drafts.

They trade Boychuk partway through the season, it would have been because they were in a crunch situation (LTIR would have got them compliant, but barely). And at that time, you're probably looking at "best I could do in the circumstances" kind of return.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Isles will have Lubo and his $6m off the books this summer. I am sure they will make Boychuk a big offer before he hits the UFA market. I am less sure Boychuk passes up a chance to see what more successful teams would offer.

CDH is back practicing, expected to be ready in a few days. The load on Boychuk will ease when CDH and Lubo get off IR.

Love the confidence and attitude he brings. From reading local articles, sounds like it is rubbing off on the younger players.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

bull crap! Nothing at all? Our D is all out of sorts right now and the system is too. Maybe Boychuk-Seids and that GWG never happens tonight. Lots of little things. Chemistry is way off now too.

Mr. Make-Believe

bull crap! Nothing at all? Our D is all out of sorts right now and the system is too. Maybe Boychuk-Seids and that GWG never happens tonight. Lots of little things. Chemistry is way off now too.

Not bull crap. Boychuk was never a big scorer for us and that wouldn't have magically changed. As for Seidenberg/Boychuk? Never looked good here either. Defensively though, this team hasn't been awful. It's the not being able to score that's put us at one and three.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Not for nothing, but I feel as though it had to do more with the return than anything else. I think Chiarelli feels a lot more confident making future deals with six picks in the first two rounds of the next couple of drafts.

They trade Boychuk partway through the season, it would have been because they were in a crunch situation (LTIR would have got them compliant, but barely). And at that time, you're probably looking at "best I could do in the circumstances" kind of return.

Coach was pretty sure another deal was imminent, hence the "needed to happen today" comment.

I didn't agree, that's why I'm asking if he had bad inside info or if it was a gut feeling.

Mr. Make-Believe

Coach was pretty sure another deal was imminent, hence the "needed to happen today" comment.

I didn't agree, that's why I'm asking if he had bad inside info or if it was a gut feeling.

Oh I see. Sorry man, I missed that.

I still don't like this deal, but at least I understand it. I'm not questioning the reasoning behind it, as it seems pretty clear (and that's not with an imminent and timely second trade). I said the same thing about the Seguin deal though and that's looking about as bad as I feared when it was first announced.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If they were intent on moving Boychuk I think they could've added assets in a package & traded for a RW (rather than 2 2nds which we think he'll trade for a RW). Bizarro world

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011

Maybe, maybe not, either way Chiarelli left this team woefully inadequate. He has no one to blame but himself for the team in such cap trouble.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Not bull crap. Boychuk was never a big scorer for us and that wouldn't have magically changed. As for Seidenberg/Boychuk? Never looked good here either. Defensively though, this team hasn't been awful. It's the not being able to score that's put us at one and three.

I think it's all a factor. Maybe the offense would be clicking more if they could trust the defense to do more and Bergeron/Kelly weren't acting like 2nd goalies! Perhaps the offense would be opening up if it weren't so worried about making up for mistakes (and potential mistakes) by Bart, Miller, and McQuaid on the 2nd pairing.

Mr. Make-Believe

If they were intent on moving Boychuk I think they could've added assets in a package & traded for a RW (rather than 2 2nds which we think he'll trade for a RW). Bizarro world

This what I'm most critical of.

Chiarelli is a GM that seems too often to trade DOWN. At least when it comes to his big guys. One or two guys for a package of assets. He got lucky in the Kessel deal, but he did it again with Seguin and if rumors are true, he settled for what the Stars were offering rather than getting his guys.

Packaging those assets though and trading UP (like he did for Kaberle and Horton) is usually the smarter play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad